Burnside Lake Via Grover Hot Springs

Burnside Lake Via Grover Hot Springs is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Markleeville, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,431 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful hike that reminded me quite a bit of backcountry trails. The views are definitely worth it. I am used to backpacking and found this trail to be not to bad, albeit long. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is not used to large elevation gain or hiking at altitude so she found it to be a bit strenuous. The trail signs say it is around 10 to 11 miles but my gf's apple watch clocked us nearer to the 8 miles that AllTrails says. Judging by our pace it also seems closer to 8 miles. The only thing bad I can say about this trail is that I didn't realize in advance that Burnside Lake is accessible by car. It was a real buzzkill turning the final corner and seeing a big pickup truck sitting lakeside with a BBQ out and music blaring. I was hoping for a secluded backcountry lake but oh well, the views along the way made up for it.

Great hike, almost 9 miles. Great views and lots of flowing water. Still had snow on top but the trail is marked well. we were the only people at the lake as I think the road in is still undriveable.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Gorgeous hike with the trail all to ourselves- didn’t see a soul beyond the errant ground squirrel or jay. The elevation gain is a not for the faint of heart, and the trail gets slightly overgrown in some areas. Like others have said, it’s not 8 miles, it’s more around 10-10.5. The views and lake are fantastic.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Difficult long hike, very steep. Gorgeous view and nature. It worths the climb. Easy to follow the trail and the hot springs award after the hike is awesome

Friday, September 29, 2017

Mileage alert! It's actually 10.5 to 11 miles round trip, according to park rangers and signage, not 8. Anyway. Great hike! The lake is more of a large pond, but the views on the way up are wonderful! And the last mile or so is a very pleasant flat meander through the upper meadows and forest. Do it for the hike up, not for the lake itself.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Did this one with the whole family 7,13,15 year olds and a pup... a bit much for the newbie to hiking but well worth it for those that hike regularly. Spectacular views... and a nice lake at the top.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Hiked this trail twice. Worth the effort for the views. Good variety of scenery. Should be in shape for this one.

Monday, June 12, 2017

We hiked this trail 3 years ago. All and all it was a beautiful hike, but you better be in decent shape. Loose footing and a few tight spots from over growth were really the only issues we encountered. We started from the hot springs and made the up hill trek first, which turned out to be a good idea. Most of the elevation change happens in a few miles and this is what made it a challenge for my valley dwelling brothers.

Saturday, September 01, 2018