Burney Falls Loop Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burney, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 157 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

fee

Short nature trail building to a crescendo at the foot of one of California's most spectacular waterfalls. Without question Burney Falls is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the state. The 129ft waterfall thrills visitors to McArthur Burney Falls Memorial State Park all year round, even when the California summer has dried up every other waterfall around. Located in the Cascade mountains, forty miles north of Lassen Volcanic National Park the falls are given their longevity by the release of meltwater from porous volcanic rock from the surrounding mountains. Two large streams cascade from the top of the falls and are accompanied by curtains of water fed from underground streams, creating a unique and grand appearance to the waterfall. The one mile journey loops around the falls in a clockwise direction, beginning with an overlook from above the waterfall and descending into the valley towards the foot of the attraction. With the falls hidden from view for much of the trail, visitors can focus on the interpretive signs on the nature trail and enjoy the shade that the park's greenery provides. The crescendo of the trail reaches its peak at the bottom of Burney Falls where you can experience the force nature from up close. The return journey is along a short set of switchbacks which afford even more views of the falls. Note: $10 Fee

easy trail took 4yr old no problem

Absolutely breathtaking falls! Very very over crowded though. I recommend getting there early to get ahead of the craziness. I went around 8:30 and there was only a few people. By the time I left around 10:00 it was started to get crowded. Definitely worth it though.

Wow! Amazing.

Awesome! Cool and overly traveled but with the walk!

Beautiful fall

Dogs are not allowed on the trail. They can only go to the look out point facing the falls. Pretty bummed about that since I drove 4 hours to get there. The falls are pretty though so I will just double check info on the website next time.

great trail with easy access. well grooned trail.

Gorgeous hike. It was a little warm today but a lot of the hike is shaded. Well worth the trip! The falls are beautiful

Absulutely breathtaking. My son and I did the loop trail which is a very easy hike. Keep in mind you are descending a mt and climbing one so wear good shoes. Even in the rain this waterfall exceeded my expectation. I will most definitely be coming back and either camping or cabin. Highly recommend.

We did the falls loop. I’m a beginner hiker and really out of shape. We went down the right side of the falls, which I recommend if you’re a beginner. That route seemed to have a gentler slope coming back up toward the parking lot. The trail is gorgeous and so well maintained. The falls are breathtaking.

This hike was amazing. There were a few loops that were out due to maintenance. Down side is that the website says $8 for parking it’s actually $10 now also it says no dogs on trails but so many people brought their dogs I was bummed I didn’t bring my little girl. Also if you plan on trying to fly your drone you will be told negative. They say it’s because of the bald eagle nests but the closest nest I seen was roughly 5 miles away on a metal electrical wire towards the town of Burney. But other than that I loved the hike very beautiful would do it again for sure.

Beautiful! Easy hike for me but my mom could not get down to see the falls due to mobility issues but was able to see most of them from the lookout spot that is next to trailhead

The falls are beautiful

This is a great, beautiful short hike. It’s not really a stroll as some has said cuz it definitely has elevation gain. But it is short and takes less than 30 minutes. The falls are spectacular. Came on a Wednesday afternoon and the trail was not at all busy. Maybe passed 5 people.

Awesome beginner hike! If you’re new to hiking this is a good start. Also to note I had a total knee replacement 5 weeks ago and was able to do this hike. I did use a hiking stick to help FYI. Enjoy!

Beautiful loop trail. Great for kids. Many photo ops. Benches along the way. Hooks up to PCT. pacific crest trail. Cool hike for summer temps.

Gorgeous!! Photos do not do it justice.

Both sides of the Rim Trail to Lake Britton are closed due to storm damage on July 3, 2019. Bridge to bridge Falls Loop and the upstream Headwater Trails are open.

A beautiful, short hike to spectacular waterfalls.

Such a great, beautiful trail! Very easy and well maintained. The scenery is amazing!

Short, easy hike. About 30 minutes. Surprisingly empty on a Monday in June. I genuinely didn’t run into anyone else after I left the main Falls photo area. Nice surprise. Plenty of photo opportunities. The bridges are really well done.

Trail is very easy. One of the most gorgeous falls in California. Not to be missed.

Nice easy trail. The falls are beautiful. Went today, Wednesday, June 5th, 2019, around 10am and it was perfect. Not crowded at all.

Amazing waterfall. Easy to get to. 4 stars only because there were drones of people and tons of mosquitoes. Wear bug spray if you’re planning to take pictures near the water.

Great short hike

It was so beautiful and so worth the drive up there! The waterfall is amazing

This is more of a stroll than a hike, but if you’re just there to see the waterfall, it’s beautiful!

I went three weeks ago and the trail was close fue the strong current from the fall. I got to the bottom, my lens camera will got wet, my hair got wet, jajaj. Amazing views :).

Such an easy peasy walk. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a hike. But it is a breathtaking view for sure. So little work for major pay off. Part of the trail is closed due to a fallen tree currently . But you can just take the path down from the parking area.

We took an unexpected drive here while visiting a friend. It was a little rainy and cloudy. But we were prepared so it made the hike great. The waterfall was roaring with water and it was moist and cold down at the base. Some of the trail was closed because of high water levels, but really easy hike. We walked down to the other end at the boat dock where the skies opened up to blue. On the way back, we encountered a family of Deer.