Burn Out Hill and Silverwood Loop

Burn Out Hill and Silverwood Loop is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hesperia, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,525 feet Route Type: Loop

Once you make your way to the top you follow Forest Rd 2N33 west towards the lake. When the dirt road is closest to the lake on a hairpin corner there will be a lightly used trail following the ridge down to another trail by the lake. Once on the lake trail head back head back towards the east. The trail will become a bike path, follow that until you come to a crossing of the stream and there will be a trail on your left going through Miller Canyon. Keep on this trail until you hit Miller Canyon Camp grounds, walk through the campground parking lot until you reach back to the trail head.

Like everyone has already said, the first mile is ridiculous. The trail actually disappears when you make your final decent to the lake. Might be better if it was actually maintained.

Well this hike turned into 9.4 mikes for me and my dogs today.. the trail is not marked at all. So unless you constantly have your phone out track where you are on the trail it is very easy to go the wrong way. It’s very steep the first mile or so of the hike. Bring a lot of water! I brought my camelbak which holds 3.5liters and ran out around mile 3. Once you get to the 4x4 trail it’s really hard to find the hiking trail that will lead you to the creek/river. Once you do get to the creek make sure you stay next to it. Do not follow the bike trail. Overall we had a great time. It was definitely a challenge and would do it again just with more water! The views were amazing!

The trail has a high difficulty at first for lesser athletic people like me. Then it’s pretty good up until you go down the less traveled path because it’s mainly over grown and you start to create your own pass. Once you reach the point it’s pretty smooth sailing and a beautiful view. Don’t be afraid to take detours and get close the the river, you won’t regret it .

the initial climb is very steep. once you're at the top you can follow the dirtbike paths till you get to the hairpin. someone left some rocks in an arrow pointing to the small path down to the lake which was a big help. be sure to take the first left when the trail splits. if you go all the way down all the trails dead end.

First mile was exactly what the title says....Burnout Hill. Steep and loose gravel footing on the initial climb. OHV road is dry and dusty with great views. The trail to the lake is unmarked, overgrown shrubs growing in and along paths, and steep going down with lots of loose footing and you slide a lot. Lake was nice but very cold. The trail along the lake has a easy path that leads back to campground. Great hike to prepare for mountains and training.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Trail is closed until 1/1/19, which changed my hiking plans. Nonetheless, the area was beautiful and I still enjoyed my time there. I’ll return next year to explore the trail. Cost $10/car to get in.

Sun Aug 26 2018

I ran up the Jeep trail 2N33 and went down that monster hill on my bum. It was fun and I’d do it again.

Tue Jun 05 2018

This is the trail I use when I want to kick my own butt. The first part is called burn out hill. The Pilot Rock Fire Camp uses it for training and exercise. Up top you follow the dirt roads, best to go mid week and not during the summer (too hot, too many motorcycles and way too many rattle snakes). The old path is kind of hard to find and you might want to use hiking poles for the down hill. Once you hit the lake it is an easy breezy hike back to the bottom of burn out hill.

Mon Apr 09 2018

I can’t recommend this trail for anyone looking for a traditional SoCal hiking experience. The first part of the trail is unmaintained and indeed steep, almost steep enough that I was practically climbing in a couple spots in order not to slide back down. The forest road at the top is frequented by OHVs, so it’s less of an escapist affair, which I prefer in my hikes.

Sun Apr 08 2018

Thanks to Jessica’s review, I was able to complete this hike by finding that very lightly used bushy and rocky descent. I’ve done about 30 hikes in Southern California and this was the worst so far. Unmarked trail and no maintenance turned my rating from decent three stars to two. This area has potential for five. Still better than watching TV at home. Beautiful views for the most part. Difficulty level: moderate, not hard. I recommend long pants, machete, tick tweezers and the AllTrails app. Note to self: don’t do hikes with just a few reviews. There are most likely better ones.

Tue Mar 06 2018

The first part of this trail is super hard, lots of loose rocks and it’s steep. Then you walk on a ohv road for awhile till the hairpin and then you walk down a trail that looks like animals use it, it was super steep in parts and lots of loose rocks watch your step. Also there was an area when you start to head to the West that had some old barb wire on the trail. When we finished this trail it said we were at a 9.14 what the trail said and we followed the trail.

Fri Feb 02 2018

This is a difficult hike to say the least, at least the first mile after that it's all downhill.

Mon Sep 03 2018