Burn Out Hill and Silverwood Loop

Burn Out Hill and Silverwood Loop is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hesperia, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Once you make your way to the top you follow Forest Rd 2N33 west towards the lake. When the dirt road is closest to the lake on a hairpin corner there will be a lightly used trail following the ridge down to another trail by the lake. Once on the lake trail head back head back towards the east. The trail will become a bike path, follow that until you come to a crossing of the stream and there will be a trail on your left going through Miller Canyon. Keep on this trail until you hit Miller Canyon Camp grounds, walk through the campground parking lot until you reach back to the trail head.

I ran up the Jeep trail 2N33 and went down that monster hill on my bum. It was fun and I’d do it again.

This is the trail I use when I want to kick my own butt. The first part is called burn out hill. The Pilot Rock Fire Camp uses it for training and exercise. Up top you follow the dirt roads, best to go mid week and not during the summer (too hot, too many motorcycles and way too many rattle snakes). The old path is kind of hard to find and you might want to use hiking poles for the down hill. Once you hit the lake it is an easy breezy hike back to the bottom of burn out hill.

I can’t recommend this trail for anyone looking for a traditional SoCal hiking experience. The first part of the trail is unmaintained and indeed steep, almost steep enough that I was practically climbing in a couple spots in order not to slide back down. The forest road at the top is frequented by OHVs, so it’s less of an escapist affair, which I prefer in my hikes.

Thanks to Jessica’s review, I was able to complete this hike by finding that very lightly used bushy and rocky descent. I’ve done about 30 hikes in Southern California and this was the worst so far. Unmarked trail and no maintenance turned my rating from decent three stars to two. This area has potential for five.

Still better than watching TV at home. Beautiful views for the most part. Difficulty level: moderate, not hard. I recommend long pants, machete, tick tweezers and the AllTrails app.

Note to self: don’t do hikes with just a few reviews. There are most likely better ones.

The first part of this trail is super hard, lots of loose rocks and it’s steep. Then you walk on a ohv road for awhile till the hairpin and then you walk down a trail that looks like animals use it, it was super steep in parts and lots of loose rocks watch your step. Also there was an area when you start to head to the West that had some old barb wire on the trail. When we finished this trail it said we were at a 9.14 what the trail said and we followed the trail.

This is a difficult hike to say the least, at least the first mile after that it's all downhill.