Burkhart Trail is a 13.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pearblossom, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,615 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is easy to follow, we hit Will Thrall Peak from Devils Punchbowl via the Burkhart Trail – a little over 16 miles total with 4500 ft total gain. There’s some poison oak to watch out for, at least 4 large trees you have to manage to climb over and a particularly angry rattlesnake. You lose elevation at the beginning of the hike when you go down into the canyon near the creek about 4 miles in, you make your way up for another 4 miles to Burkhart Saddle, then comes the grueling, VERY steep half mile gaining 900 feet up to Will Thrall peak. Make sure you’re in shape for this and give yourself more time than you think to get it done. I carried almost 4 liters of water and still ran out on a semi-hot day, bring more than you think you’ll need. Also it’s super windy at the saddle and up to the peak and ridge. Bring a jacket.

Did a Devil's Punchbowl parking lot to Cruther's creek out and back. 7.4 mile total at 4 hours elapsed time with a 30 min. stop at the creek. The trail was in good condition with only.one tree still across it but easily passable. The creek was flowing good but not raging and was a nice turn around point.

Great trail for expert hikers. Great solitude. turned around about 1/2 mile from the saddle because of sketchy snow. I’ll be back to bag that collection of peaks.

Made it 5 miles out before I ran out of water. I’d suggest 3litters minimum if you do all 13miles. Some rocky areas, wouldn’t bring a dog unless you can pick it up in the rocky areas or have dog shoes. Uphill portions are a fun challenge. There are a few portions where the bugs are rather bothersome, I just used a towel. But if bugs bother you, bring spray. I started at 10 finished around 2ish, it was definitely hot, but if you’re in decent shape and have water it’s doable.

This trail was nice and a really good workout! We started at 8:00am which may have been a little late. It was really warm by the time we reached the creek. We continued up the other side but just came about 1/2 mile or so short of the saddle. We were tired and hot. By the time we got back to the car at 12:45 it was 89. We ended up doing 13 miles. There are a ton of bugs so bring bug spray. The fallen trees that you read about in the other reviews are still there. I’m thankful we didn’t bring our dog. The climb would have been a challenge for him in the heat and it is very rocky in places.

Got a late start so wasn't able to make it to the saddle before it got too hot. The trail is well-maintained, but had a lot of bugs. It's not as popular as the Devil's Chair trail. Saw a few other hikers. I'll have to try this one again during the cooler months before the snow. Bring a hat and lots of bug spray.

Hiked from the Punchbowl parking lot to Cruther's Creek and back. Few shady areas, but mostly exposed trail. Made a .5 mile detour at the fork towards the Devil's Chair to get to a stream to wer out hats and necks on the way back.

Sat May 25 2019

This year the trail has been hit hard by the weather we’ve had this year. Lots of downed trees to cross, Over grown here and there, and rock slides but nothing impassable. The water is flowing really well on the south side of the saddle. Cruthers creek is running about the same as last year in late April. The water fall was gorgeous! Forestry service needs to condition the trail a bit. All in all an very good hike!

Thu Feb 28 2019

Hiked this trail today. Slightly washed out in areas from water run off and lots of fallen trees to negotiate but otherwise a lovely hike. We made it out 4 miles to the river in the canyon. Very beautiful. Coming back in a few weeks to negotiate the climb on the other side!!

Wed Jun 20 2018

We hiked down to the bottom where there was a small stream then it started to go up ... We could not go further but I'm wondering nowhere was this water fall ?!? Is the waterfall at the end of the trail? Pls lmk every one who knows

Sun May 20 2018

It is nice trail but when I did it was too hot.

Sat Apr 21 2018

This trail was a lot of fun, bring enough water, especially in hotter months. I took a 3liter bladder and ran out right at the end of the trail. We crossed three seasonal creeks running right now. But they can dry up later in season. Found wild green onions growing in shady areas at the saddle and just north of saddle. They were tasty. Start early to avoid higher temps on north side of trail at lower elevations as temps rise. When we started at the camp it was 47 at 7am, when we got to devils punch bowl it was 87 at 4pm in mid April.

Fri Dec 01 2017

I love this trail! I have covered at least miles on it (round trip). There is part of the trail that is completely wiped out by soft sand and too dangerous to cross without special equipment around mile marker 5 ( about 8 miles in if you start at Devil's Punchbowl Visitor center). Awesome hike though! Very rarely see people on this trail

Wed Jul 19 2017

Loved it Make sure you go early, it gets really Hot!!!

Mon Apr 24 2017

Great

Sun Mar 19 2017

Nice day..there were three trees down above the stream ford about 2 miles from the saddle ...had to divert around. Saw a small rattlesnake too!!! Snow is not an issue to the saddle

Wed Feb 08 2017

Went last Thursday, still tons of snow pack snow shoes or mico spikes! The Burkhorn campground is closed right now but if you park by Watermelon Mt. you can hike down to the trail head. cooper canyon falls is the reason I did this hike.

Tue Apr 05 2016

This was one of the hardest trails I've done. It's mostly uphill and there's lots of wild flowers, pests and lizards. I went in April and it was pretty warm but the wind started picking up as the sun went down. It's pretty rocky/sandy and there's also a little creek at the half way point. Overall it was kind of lack luster and I didn't really enjoy it. The flowers were literally the most exciting thing about this hike.

Mon Feb 08 2016

Good trail that leads to a creek about 4 miles in. Easy hike with mild incline. One of my favorites and less crowded than the Devils chair.

Mon May 27 2019