Bumpass Hell Trail

Bumpass Hell Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 439 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Bubbling mud pots, sulfur vents and boiling pools make this trip to hell and back well worth the effort. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Sticking to the trail is always recommended, but if you're visiting Bumpass Hell it is a must follow rule. To illustrate the point you have to look no further than the man who discovered these volcanic hotsprings, Kendal Bumpass, who managed to fall in and injure his leg not once but twice, the second time requiring his leg to be amputated! Scare-stories aside, this really is an easy family friendly hike with little in the way of danger as long as you keep the little ones under control.

amazing views and the trail is nicely maintained!

trail was under some maintenance, but still nice. The boardwalk was really nice!

Short and easy hike. Good place to see evidence of volcanic activity, although nowhere as picturesque as Yellowstone.

Beautiful update of the trail. I agree with previous recent comments about the trail

Trail is open again! This was my first time waking out there and it was an easy hike. I’m out of shape so it got my heart rate going when coming back to the car because that is when the steep uphill part is, but it was fun and interesting. The wind was blowing so it didn’t smell and we went at the end of September, so the weather was in the 50’s, 60’s while we were there. I wore hiking boots but I saw people from kids to old people walking in regular tennis shoes and jeans.

It is a nice trail. Geothermal area is cool. I think Devils Kitchen in the park is better.

the new walkway looks great! (thanks nps!) quick little trek to geothermal pools. try getting here early -- upon return to the parking lot at 10:30, there were several groups of kids on field trips

Hiked this trail just a day after it reopened and feel very lucky to have been in the park at such good timing. Most of this trail has a very low grade and goes along a ridge with great views. Once you get close to Bumpass Hell, there is a steep part of the trail that heads down. It is short but we did see a couple with canes that was told the trail was handicap accessible and they disagreed (and so did my hiking partner who is a physical therapist). We got down to Bumpass Hell just as the sun was setting and it was beautiful. The hike out was stunning. If you’re in Lassen and able to, I highly recommend this trail. I also recommend hiking boots. I’d consider it a Moderate hike.

Trail is open as of 9/13. A few overlooks are still undergoing restoration.

OPEN. Hiked it in tennis shoes. Very easy. VERY crowded if you don’t get out early.

You can do the hike from the backside from cold boiling lake. From cold boiling lake there should be a sign that should wrap you around the lake and up the mountain. The hike isn’t all that easy I’d say moderate, but the real problem is the snow. There are times in which you loose the path super easily. I did it with some friends later in the day after there was a more clear path set by others. You will have to cross some minor waterfalls so be prepared to get wet

closed

Trail closed for the season :/

Very difficult and couldn't complete due to unexpected waterway

Saturday, June 23, 2018

awesome area , will be accessible again soon ..

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Did this in 2016. Had to take an alternative route as the main trail was closed for renovations

Thursday, March 08, 2018

The name says it all

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Enjoyable hike / walk with minor elevation changes and an amazing view of the valley. Highly recommended for families and hikes of all ages.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

A well-marked trail that offers beautiful views, varied terrain and a good opportunity to see the geothermal vents.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

My husband and I hiked Bumpass Hell in August with our boys ages 10 and 13. It was a great out and back hike with views along the way and a great reward of the cool Bumpass Hell area. Bring water. There are bathrooms at the trail parking lot. We added the hike to Cold Boiling Lake which starts at the Bumpass Hell area.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Monday, October 09, 2017

Very windy and very chilly! Start this hike early! We were fighting with daylight on the way back- but it was unlike anything we'd seen before. Cool views! It's harder to breathe at this elevation.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

A unique trail and a great taste of what Lassen Volcanic has to offer! Great views the whole way through. Be careful on the edges! ;-)

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I did this in the snow in July and it was so slippery even with micro spikes! I'd recommend also having hiking poles if you go in the snow. Super easy and rewarding otherwise. Highly recommended.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

My husband & I did this last Sat and it was beautiful. The weather was nice with a crisp cool air and the sun was shining. It was our first time in Lassen Park and we were very pleased with the surrounding beauty. Seeing the sulfur pools was amazing, we did this adventure in one day and then had a 3 hour drive home. We will definitely be coming back as we want to see the subway caves & painted dunes.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

The first part of this trail is really easy to do for everyone. The second part it's even easier to do because it is a downward path that takes you to the pools of sulfur and the walkways that keep you safe from the unstable ground in some areas. There are some photo ops and those may vary from day to day, not always you get the spectacular bubbling that you expect. The return hike may be difficult to do as the first part is steep but it's a good hike nonetheless.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous trail fairly straightforward and well marked. We went on to cold boiling lake trail despite thunder and lightning and we're especially thankful for the excellent trail markings when we returned to the entrance as over an inch of snow had accumulated. Spectacular views. We communed with two deer families along the way.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Nice hike. Well traveled and everyone was great. Children hiking and enjoying being outside.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Harder than easy, easier than moderate. A great introductory trail to get to know Lassen. Roof of California. Loved it.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Very easy hike, would say it's more of a tourist attraction but cool nonetheless.