Bullfrog Lake

hard 12 reviews

Bullfrog Lake is a 13.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Independence, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,658 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

The trail begins at the Onion Valley Campground and then proceeds into the Inyo Forest. There is considerable elevation gain and plenty of stunning vistas. Notable lakes that the trail will pass are Little Pothole, Gilbert, Flower, Heart, Big Pothole, and Bullfrog. Although there is a separate trail that leads to Bullfrog Lake, this journey culminates at an elevated view of the lake from the Kearsarge Pass Trail, which is a rewarding sight. The Bullfrog Lake hike can be added to this excursion for any hiker looking for additional trail time. Be sure to bring lots of water, snacks, and a comfortable pair of hiking shoes/boots. This hike is best done during the late spring, summer, and early fall.

Similar to many options around there. I'd suggest oing the northern road if you do only this distance - or do the loop

8/3/19 This was my first time in the Eastern Sierras and it was amazing! My girlfriend and I arrived at the Onion Valley Campground the morning before the hike on a Friday. There were many open walk-in camp sites available. The weather was absolutely perfect. And while there were mosquitoes, it wasn’t super bad like many places in the region. We packed up our gear and started hiking around 9 AM. The hike starts out through a very well-groomed trail. The entire hike did not have any obstacles in the way, nor did it have any technical sections. There were some sustained steep sections which will get you a little winded depending on your fitness level, but I wouldn’t say this hike was hard. As anyone who has done this hike knows, The views are spectacular. There are so many pristine lakes and flowing streams. Wildflowers are out and so are wildlife. We saw a deer the first day and two the second. The first big lake you come across is full of fish. They were constantly nipping at the insects on the surface of the water. As we approached Kearsarge Pass, our anticipation only grew as we knew we were in for a spectacular view. And we weren’t let down! We started descending the other side of the pass and knew it was going to be gain on the way back. But the beautiful lakes provided plenty of distraction. We reached Bullfrog Lake soon enough, and though it was an awesome lake in its own right, we couldn’t help but continue for an additional half mile or so to reach the JMT/PCT before heading back (see my recording). All in all this was an awesome hike and not as inaccessible as I once believed. Another thing that made this hike memorable was how many REAL hardcore hikers and backpackers there were. We even saw a family with four kids backpacking together and camping at Kearsarge Lakes with plans for Rae Lakes. The youngest must have been seven!

Wed Jul 04 2018

Such a breathtaking hike! Countless jaw-dropping vistas and stunning scenery! Although the elevation gain can pose a problem for some beginners, I suggest undertaking this hike as a half-day or full-day event if you're not preparing to do any backcountry camping. Bring lots of water and be sure to take your time and look around at all of the wonder that the Sierra Nevada's are known for. Phenomenal!

Sun Jul 01 2018