Bull Creek Flats Trail

Bull Creek Flats Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Myers Flat, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

bridge out

old growth

Begin your walk on the right branch of the Rockefeller Loop (a very pleasant family hike in its own. The full loop can only be hiked in the summer and fall. The Bull Creek loop consists of two trails: the Bull Creek Flats Trail on the south side of the creek and the Big Tree Trail on the north. At the western end the two are joined by an automobile bridge, but at their eastern end is only a seasonal footbridge that's normally installed between mid-May (but sometimes not until the end of July) and late September. At other times the creek may still be only a few inches deep and easily forded. When the footbridge is out and the creek becomes a raging torrent, the best alternative to the full loop hike is an out-and-back on the Bull Creek Flats Trail, which is the better of the two trails.

The Redwoods were amazing here. There was a pretty stream right next to it.

This hike is absolutely beautiful- I highly recommend it! We only passed maybe 4 other people while out on the loop- very quiet and peaceful. Mixed terrain was nice. The only tricky part is the signs are not very clear. It was a little confusing getting off the Big Trees Loop trail and onto the Bull Creek Trail South (we somehow hiked toward the horse farm for a bit). Just make sure to only take the one trail that is well marked "bull creek trail south." We parked at Blue Slide Day use area and hiked the loop starting west.

I really enjoyed this hike. We started at Albee Creek Campsite and took a detour along the homestead trail on the way back - a total of nine miles, about five hours. We did have to climb over a tree and cut through vegetation to go around another tree that was fallen. One of the most enchanting forests I've ever been in. Unfortunately, my phone died early in and I didn't get many photos. I also didn't think to bring insect repellant which is definitely needed. I would love to do this again someday and venture out on some of the other trails.

Such a beautiful hike. Went wth my four kids. Ages 12,8,6,6. It was long (9miles) but beautiful along the creek. Had one part where you have to climb over a tree but they put in a ladder (kids thought that was awesome). One part of the hike where you climb through a tree. The bridges were in making it easy to pass over the creeks. One tree was down that we had to climb over to continue on the path. In another area a tree was down but someone hung orange strings in trees to show alternate route around the tree. My kids climbed over but the hubby and I went around. Didn't see much wildlife but my kids aren't super quiet. We only passed maybe four hikers on the trail. We had a great time. Bring bug spray as we have had a lot of rain and the bugs were out. Bonus is the creek is still running. Saw such beautiful groves and the hike is not challenging. Mostly flat and shaded.

So glad I hiked this trail as it takes you thru a handful of backcountry groves that most people do not get to experience. My favorite was the John Scott Douglas grove. Not only is the scenery amazing but the trail is the softest most padded that I have ever walked on. Bridge was out so had to wade across the Eel River to get to the trail. It so quiet on this trail and the creeks were in full display. I just dipped my cup as I crossed them and drank strait from the source. I saw and did everything possible while at Humboldt SP and loved it all but if I had to pick one single element that sticks out in my mind of those three days it would have to be this trail. So cool and dark and beautiful all at the same time. Saw a rare banana slug in this trail. It had softly rained all night before giving the majestic redwoods a whole new look as they glistened. Get away from the crowds and hike this easy trail people. You will be glad you did.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Friday, August 05, 2016

Nice and easy 9 mile hike. Shady. Massive trees. No vigorous ups and downs. We went in August, would have been nice earlier in the summer. Virtually all of the "creeks" we're dried up.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Friday, April 03, 2015

When you drive and hike around you feel so small next to these giant trees.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beautiful trail through the redwoods following the river. Yes signage was lacking but it was easy to navigate. One part did take you to the road then you could only hear it in the distance.

Friday, August 01, 2014

Beautiful but as noted by another, signage is seriously lacking on this trail. We did get quite a few glimpses of wildlife but it was probably because we were approaching early bird dinner time when we were ending our trail.