Bull Creek Flats Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Myers Flat, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, nature trips, and horses and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 636 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

The full loop can only be hiked in the summer and fall. The Bull Creek loop consists of two trails: the Bull Creek Flats Trail on the south side of the creek and the Big Tree Trail on the north. At the western end, the two are joined by an automobile bridge, but at their eastern end is only a seasonal footbridge that's normally installed between mid-May (but sometimes not until the end of July) and late September. At other times the creek may still be only a few inches deep and easily forded. When the footbridge is out and the creek becomes a raging torrent, the best alternative to the full loop hike is an out-and-back on the Bull Creek Flats Trail, which is the better of the two trails.

Love it. Gorgeous woods. Quiet and easy to run on

bridge out

Nice trail, don’t need to hike whole trail to get nice scenery

bridge out

Randonnée magnifique! Chemin facile, bien dégagé et plat. Mais quelques moustiques et tiques

Absolutely loved this. Shady. Not too heavy of an incline. Completely empty. We ran a bit of it too so only took us about 2:45.

Fri May 24 2019

Great hike. If the footbridge is out there are several points along Bull Creek where there is a fallen redwood across the creek at the site of the seasonal footbridge that can easily be walked across. One warning: the park map handed out when you arrive at one of the camp sites is out of date and is missing or inaccurate on a number of trails throughout the park. What's on here looks to be more accurate.

Tue May 21 2019

Just did the trail yesterday. Most of the previous reviews are fairly accurate. We knocked it out in around four hours or so but only stopped for photos. It was raining the last few days, thus the creek and tributary streams were a bit full which made crossing a bit dicey. The mud and moss along the trail were definite slip hazards and should not be discounted. It was an enjoyable experience.

Mon May 13 2019

We did the loop, crossing over the river at two spots by climbing onto the fallen redwoods and crossing. My wife suffers vertigo so it was a bit dicey for her but she managed to do it. The one at the west end is thicker (seemed like more than 8 or 9 feet in diameter) which made the crossing a little easier. The one at the east end is narrower, perhaps only 6 feet diameter. The scenery through such a broad expanse of giant old redwood trees is truly spectacular and well worth a hike.

Mon May 06 2019

This is a great, easy walk of a trail. Mostly shaded, really easy terrain....with the exception of where two bridges are out. And those crossings aren't difficult, really, but they do require some scrambling. Also, there are a few open, sunny places that are chock full of poison oak. I mean, chock full. So do what you need to for that, following. And, if you start from where All Trails tells you to (if you hit "directions" and then follow Google maps to the trailhead, you add an extra two miles or so on. In order to hike the advertised distance, start from another spot. You'll see the other trailheads on your way to the trailhead marked by All Trails.

Sun Apr 28 2019

This was a beautiful trail. Most of it was easy. The only reason it’s a moderate trail is because you have to climb up a couple 6 foot fallen trees to cross the creek. There is a newly fallen tree that blocks the trail. We found a way to go under it to make it through. Amazing views of the redwoods.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Great hike. Still little early in season but can tell they’ve been working on clearing the trails. Absolutely beautiful place with some of the tallest trees in the world and clear flowing creeks and rivers. Stunning.

recorded Bull Creek Flats Trail

Mon Feb 18 2019

Great but park near trailhead where it leaves the road.

Sun Jan 06 2019

It rained the entire time and the bridge on north side is blocked off unsafe, so we turned back around. What we were able to hike was breathtaking. Very easy

Fri Jan 04 2019

Great trail through pristine redwood forest with good views of the creek flats. We did the full loop South to North. It’s difficult with the seasonal bridges out, but the water was low enough we managed to scramble over some of the large fallen logs. There are a few places with some trees down along the trail as well; one in particular that makes it somewhat impassable (as of Jan 2019). One of the main bridges also seems to have been damaged but the water was low enough to hop over.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Beautiful trail! North side is more scenic than south side, so if you fear you might not make it across because of the removal of the bridge after September, consider only doing the north side. However, although bridge was out in November, river was easily crossable by foot, so we did the full loop. Trail is very shaded so wear warm clothes in fall and winter.

Sun Sep 30 2018

A little bit of everything .... you will want to saunter this trail and strain your neck looking up at great Giants along the way ... can make you feel quite small ... and humbled in the presence of these 2000 year old trees .... worth the time and energy to experience it .... the river sections would be amazing when the water is running but beautiful non the less ...

Sun Sep 09 2018

Absolutely beautiful

Fri Aug 17 2018

Wonderful hike! Enjoyed the loop even with temperatures in 90s.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Beautiful 10-mile loop among the big trees with lots of different scenery. Relatively easy.

Fri Jun 29 2018

Gorgeous trail with lots of variable scenery and great redwoods. By our GPS watches, it was approximately 9 miles in just under 4 hours while using the AllTrails map. Mid-June had plenty of poison oak along the trail, so be sure you can identify it before you get out there.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Great hike! Did it in earlier April and the weather was perfect. Make sure to bring bug repellent as the rain is just now letting up. Easy to moderate to hard in all different areas. Came across “The Giant Tree” and was it a site to behold. Only came across 5 people and one of them was on horseback. Saw and heard lots of wildlife. I’ve lived here in Humboldt County my whole life and grew up in these redwoods, and still 32 years on and I’m amazed every single time I come to these forests. The rivers and creeks were nice and full and flowing dangerously fast so be careful around the water. I filled up my bag with water from the Eel river and ran it through my filter and filled my canteen and it’s some of the best tasting, coldest water I’ve ever had. Definitely make sure to bring water and have a full charge on your phone because it is a long hike. I brought some camping gear in my backpack just in case I was going to hunker down for the night. I also saw some large bear tracks. I had such an amazing day and recommend this to any advanced/moderate hiker.

Wed Mar 07 2018

This is the best hike I have ever had in the redwoods. Amazing trees, mid 40s in February, light rainfall.

Sun Feb 18 2018

A truly beautiful trail in the redwoods! Giants all around you for the entire hike and a beautiful, easy meander next to the Eel River. However, the mileage is severely under reported on this site. I tracked the entire loop, and with a very small detour of maybe .5 miles, the entire hike came to 11.75 miles. So the entire loop is at least 11 miles. The south side is much better than the north, so I would suggest taking that one if you're going to do an out-and-back. There is a lack of signage on this trail which can make it a bit annoying. The path is fairly clear, but you have no idea how far you've gone or how close you are to the river crossings. The foot bridge was not set up when we got there, but turning around and going back on the south side would have extended our hike even longer than it was, so my boyfriend was nice enough to carry me on his back across the river (twice!) since there was no good way to ford it without getting soaked. On the north end, the trail comes very close to the road and at some points you are forced to walk on the road because the trail to the side of it is unclear. Eventually you poke back into the woods and reach the part where you cross over back to the south side. Overall, I think it was a wonderful experience and luckily we're in good enough shape to hike that far, but just take my warnings into consideration when planning your hike.

Tue Aug 29 2017

The Redwoods were amazing here. There was a pretty stream right next to it.

Thu Aug 24 2017

This hike is absolutely beautiful- I highly recommend it! We only passed maybe 4 other people while out on the loop- very quiet and peaceful. Mixed terrain was nice. The only tricky part is the signs are not very clear. It was a little confusing getting off the Big Trees Loop trail and onto the Bull Creek Trail South (we somehow hiked toward the horse farm for a bit). Just make sure to only take the one trail that is well marked "bull creek trail south." We parked at Blue Slide Day use area and hiked the loop starting west.

Mon Aug 07 2017

I really enjoyed this hike. We started at Albee Creek Campsite and took a detour along the homestead trail on the way back - a total of nine miles, about five hours. We did have to climb over a tree and cut through vegetation to go around another tree that was fallen. One of the most enchanting forests I've ever been in. Unfortunately, my phone died early in and I didn't get many photos. I also didn't think to bring insect repellant which is definitely needed. I would love to do this again someday and venture out on some of the other trails.

Tue Jun 13 2017

So glad I hiked this trail as it takes you thru a handful of backcountry groves that most people do not get to experience. My favorite was the John Scott Douglas grove. Not only is the scenery amazing but the trail is the softest most padded that I have ever walked on. Bridge was out so had to wade across the Eel River to get to the trail. It so quiet on this trail and the creeks were in full display. I just dipped my cup as I crossed them and drank strait from the source. I saw and did everything possible while at Humboldt SP and loved it all but if I had to pick one single element that sticks out in my mind of those three days it would have to be this trail. So cool and dark and beautiful all at the same time. Saw a rare banana slug in this trail. It had softly rained all night before giving the majestic redwoods a whole new look as they glistened. Get away from the crowds and hike this easy trail people. You will be glad you did.

Fri Aug 05 2016

Nice and easy 9 mile hike. Shady. Massive trees. No vigorous ups and downs. We went in August, would have been nice earlier in the summer. Virtually all of the "creeks" we're dried up.