Bull Creek Flats Trail

Bull Creek Flats Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Myers Flat, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

old growth

The full loop can only be hiked in the summer and fall. The Bull Creek loop consists of two trails: the Bull Creek Flats Trail on the south side of the creek and the Big Tree Trail on the north. At the western end, the two are joined by an automobile bridge, but at their eastern end is only a seasonal footbridge that's normally installed between mid-May (but sometimes not until the end of July) and late September. At other times the creek may still be only a few inches deep and easily forded. When the footbridge is out and the creek becomes a raging torrent, the best alternative to the full loop hike is an out-and-back on the Bull Creek Flats Trail, which is the better of the two trails.

Wonderful hike! Enjoyed the loop even with temperatures in 90s.

Beautiful 10-mile loop among the big trees with lots of different scenery. Relatively easy.

Gorgeous trail with lots of variable scenery and great redwoods. By our GPS watches, it was approximately 9 miles in just under 4 hours while using the AllTrails map. Mid-June had plenty of poison oak along the trail, so be sure you can identify it before you get out there.

Great hike! Did it in earlier April and the weather was perfect. Make sure to bring bug repellent as the rain is just now letting up. Easy to moderate to hard in all different areas. Came across “The Giant Tree” and was it a site to behold. Only came across 5 people and one of them was on horseback. Saw and heard lots of wildlife. I’ve lived here in Humboldt County my whole life and grew up in these redwoods, and still 32 years on and I’m amazed every single time I come to these forests. The rivers and creeks were nice and full and flowing dangerously fast so be careful around the water. I filled up my bag with water from the Eel river and ran it through my filter and filled my canteen and it’s some of the best tasting, coldest water I’ve ever had. Definitely make sure to bring water and have a full charge on your phone because it is a long hike. I brought some camping gear in my backpack just in case I was going to hunker down for the night. I also saw some large bear tracks. I had such an amazing day and recommend this to any advanced/moderate hiker.

This is the best hike I have ever had in the redwoods. Amazing trees, mid 40s in February, light rainfall.

A truly beautiful trail in the redwoods! Giants all around you for the entire hike and a beautiful, easy meander next to the Eel River. However, the mileage is severely under reported on this site. I tracked the entire loop, and with a very small detour of maybe .5 miles, the entire hike came to 11.75 miles. So the entire loop is at least 11 miles. The south side is much better than the north, so I would suggest taking that one if you're going to do an out-and-back. There is a lack of signage on this trail which can make it a bit annoying. The path is fairly clear, but you have no idea how far you've gone or how close you are to the river crossings.

The foot bridge was not set up when we got there, but turning around and going back on the south side would have extended our hike even longer than it was, so my boyfriend was nice enough to carry me on his back across the river (twice!) since there was no good way to ford it without getting soaked.

On the north end, the trail comes very close to the road and at some points you are forced to walk on the road because the trail to the side of it is unclear. Eventually you poke back into the woods and reach the part where you cross over back to the south side.

Overall, I think it was a wonderful experience and luckily we're in good enough shape to hike that far, but just take my warnings into consideration when planning your hike.

The Redwoods were amazing here. There was a pretty stream right next to it.

This hike is absolutely beautiful- I highly recommend it! We only passed maybe 4 other people while out on the loop- very quiet and peaceful. Mixed terrain was nice. The only tricky part is the signs are not very clear. It was a little confusing getting off the Big Trees Loop trail and onto the Bull Creek Trail South (we somehow hiked toward the horse farm for a bit). Just make sure to only take the one trail that is well marked "bull creek trail south." We parked at Blue Slide Day use area and hiked the loop starting west.

Monday, August 07, 2017

I really enjoyed this hike. We started at Albee Creek Campsite and took a detour along the homestead trail on the way back - a total of nine miles, about five hours. We did have to climb over a tree and cut through vegetation to go around another tree that was fallen. One of the most enchanting forests I've ever been in. Unfortunately, my phone died early in and I didn't get many photos. I also didn't think to bring insect repellant which is definitely needed. I would love to do this again someday and venture out on some of the other trails.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

So glad I hiked this trail as it takes you thru a handful of backcountry groves that most people do not get to experience. My favorite was the John Scott Douglas grove. Not only is the scenery amazing but the trail is the softest most padded that I have ever walked on. Bridge was out so had to wade across the Eel River to get to the trail. It so quiet on this trail and the creeks were in full display. I just dipped my cup as I crossed them and drank strait from the source. I saw and did everything possible while at Humboldt SP and loved it all but if I had to pick one single element that sticks out in my mind of those three days it would have to be this trail. So cool and dark and beautiful all at the same time. Saw a rare banana slug in this trail. It had softly rained all night before giving the majestic redwoods a whole new look as they glistened. Get away from the crowds and hike this easy trail people. You will be glad you did.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Nice and easy 9 mile hike. Shady. Massive trees. No vigorous ups and downs. We went in August, would have been nice earlier in the summer. Virtually all of the "creeks" we're dried up.

Friday, April 03, 2015

When you drive and hike around you feel so small next to these giant trees.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beautiful trail through the redwoods following the river. Yes signage was lacking but it was easy to navigate. One part did take you to the road then you could only hear it in the distance.

Friday, August 01, 2014

Beautiful but as noted by another, signage is seriously lacking on this trail. We did get quite a few glimpses of wildlife but it was probably because we were approaching early bird dinner time when we were ending our trail.

Monday, October 07, 2013

As other people have mentioned, this is not a 13 mile trail. It's around 9 miles and should only take 4 hours (if not less) to hike it. It's easy terrain and absolutely beautiful. The weekend I went I saw only a handful of people on the trail.

Friday, February 15, 2013

I don't think that this trail is 13 miles. I think my friend and I did the loop and the ranger told us that it's only 9 miles.

The trail is flat and very beautiful. You will hiking through tall trees the entire time that leave almost no room for the sun to touch you. You'll pretty much be in awe the entire time because of how big and tall the trees are!

The loop is a bit hard to follow at about half way point due to the lack of sign. We basically had to get off trail and walk on the road at one point, but it was a fun experience nonetheless.

There were no one else on the trail. It seemed like people who camped at humbolt just wanted to lounge around. The trail will take you to the rockefeller forest loop, which has the oldest and biggest trees in the park.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Really nice and easy trail in the Avenue of the Giants, of Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

recorded Bull Creek Flats Trail