Bull Creek Flats Trail

Bull Creek Flats Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Myers Flat, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

bridge out

old growth

Begin your walk on the right branch of the Rockefeller Loop (a very pleasant family hike in its own. The full loop can only be hiked in the summer and fall. The Bull Creek loop consists of two trails: the Bull Creek Flats Trail on the south side of the creek and the Big Tree Trail on the north. At the western end the two are joined by an automobile bridge, but at their eastern end is only a seasonal footbridge that's normally installed between mid-May (but sometimes not until the end of July) and late September. At other times the creek may still be only a few inches deep and easily forded. When the footbridge is out and the creek becomes a raging torrent, the best alternative to the full loop hike is an out-and-back on the Bull Creek Flats Trail, which is the better of the two trails.

So glad I hiked this trail as it takes you thru a handful of backcountry groves that most people do not get to experience. My favorite was the John Scott Douglas grove. Not only is the scenery amazing but the trail is the softest most padded that I have ever walked on. Bridge was out so had to wade across the Eel River to get to the trail. It so quiet on this trail and the creeks were in full display. I just dipped my cup as I crossed them and drank strait from the source. I saw and did everything possible while at Humboldt SP and loved it all but if I had to pick one single element that sticks out in my mind of those three days it would have to be this trail. So cool and dark and beautiful all at the same time. Saw a rare banana slug in this trail. It had softly rained all night before giving the majestic redwoods a whole new look as they glistened. Get away from the crowds and hike this easy trail people. You will be glad you did.

Nice and easy 9 mile hike. Shady. Massive trees. No vigorous ups and downs. We went in August, would have been nice earlier in the summer. Virtually all of the "creeks" we're dried up.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Friday, April 03, 2015

When you drive and hike around you feel so small next to these giant trees.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Beautiful trail through the redwoods following the river. Yes signage was lacking but it was easy to navigate. One part did take you to the road then you could only hear it in the distance.

Friday, August 01, 2014

Beautiful but as noted by another, signage is seriously lacking on this trail. We did get quite a few glimpses of wildlife but it was probably because we were approaching early bird dinner time when we were ending our trail.

Monday, October 07, 2013

As other people have mentioned, this is not a 13 mile trail. It's around 9 miles and should only take 4 hours (if not less) to hike it. It's easy terrain and absolutely beautiful. The weekend I went I saw only a handful of people on the trail.

Friday, February 15, 2013

I don't think that this trail is 13 miles. I think my friend and I did the loop and the ranger told us that it's only 9 miles.

The trail is flat and very beautiful. You will hiking through tall trees the entire time that leave almost no room for the sun to touch you. You'll pretty much be in awe the entire time because of how big and tall the trees are!

The loop is a bit hard to follow at about half way point due to the lack of sign. We basically had to get off trail and walk on the road at one point, but it was a fun experience nonetheless.

There were no one else on the trail. It seemed like people who camped at humbolt just wanted to lounge around. The trail will take you to the rockefeller forest loop, which has the oldest and biggest trees in the park.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Really nice and easy trail in the Avenue of the Giants, of Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

Saturday, August 04, 2012