Learn more

Buckeye Trail to Villa Creek [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(38)
Silver Peak Wilderness

Buckeye Trail to Villa Creek [CLOSED] is a 12.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jolon, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,789 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Please note that it has been reported that this trail is currently closed due to COVID 19.

Beautiful views of the Big Sur coastline, but should have read reviews before venturing out. Must be the time of year, but the trail was absolutely swarming with ticks. If you look closely at the tips of the grass, the ticks are just hanging out so it’s easy to get covered quickly when you brush against it, which is unavoidable with the over growth. I’d recommend gaiters, there were tons of ticks on and in my boots. If you bring your dog, be sure to check their fur thoroughly.

Fantastic hike. Alltrails says 11 miles The sign says 14 miles Samsung galaxy phone Pedometer said 16 miles. DId it as a day trip out and back. Very beautiful. Not too crowded. Trail for the most part very easy to follow. Gorgeous views. Some of the best views I've had hiking. Tons of poison oak (like a lot). Also lots of ticks. Pulled two off myself and about 8 off my dog but he doesnt stick to the trail much. Make sure you take a Dial dish soap shower after to get that poison oak off.. Its everywhere but after the dish soap shower I only got a couple small patches here and there. 10/10 would do again but it was a long day. Up and down a lot. Not a up hike then back down. I think back is nearly as tough as going out. The first half mile is very steep. Flattens out a bit after that. 50% shade. 50% sun. A few people camping out there otherwise empty.

Tough, but beautiful trail. Once you ascend the tough first half mile, you’re rewarded with amazing coastline views. The trail hardly ceases its ascent all the way through to the destination, but most is not as difficult as that first half mile stretch. We stopped for lunch about halfway through at the only other running water besides Villa Creek, where the water was running nicely. Buckeye campsites were in a small valley with no views, though they were closer to the Villa Creek water source. We opted to camp at a site a short hike back where we had a great view of the coastline. The weather was great and the sky was clear. Trekking poles were helpful for the descent the next day. One thing to note about the area - we had our pups with us and both ended up with a couple of tick bites. They’ve been on many other hikes with us where they never come back with ticks, so it was unusual to see so many. If you bring your pups, it might be good to re-apply their flee/tick meds before you go and bring some tweezers and check them when you have a break.

Nice one nighter, great for a quick getaway or a nice first time backpacking trip. Trail was recently groomed. Water, minor trickle at Buckeye camp, steady usable flow at Cruikshank camp.

While not physically demanding, this trail presented challenges for me because I don't like narrow trails with steep ledges, and at least half of the distance to Villa Creek has steep drops. Beautiful trail with great views and diversity. We were backpacking but the spring at Buckeye Creek is running strong - follow the creek upstream, you will find it. Bring a filter that doesn't require pumping. Buckeye Creek is a beautiful place to camp, better than Cruickshank. I hiked down to Villa Creek but I did not see the camp. VERY steep into Villa, I would not have wanted to bring my pack down into that (note: I'm one of those that can go up a hill all day, not so good on the downhill). There are some great viewpoint campsites, including just before Buckeye and about a mile beyond Buckeye right before going down into Cruickshank.. I will say that the AllTrails map includes trails that are not there. Use the Forest Service map at the beginning of the trail. All in all we really enjoyed this hike (except the narrow trail with a steep drop-off.)

Beautiful trail at the end of September. Lots of poison oak and very little water, but a great out and back overnight trip.

Trail was really well maintained, even ran into rangers twice. There were also at least 5 creek crossings with water still flowing. Amazing views.

Pretty rough hike! The first leg to buckeye is brutally steep and mostly exposed to the sun the whole time. We stopped many times when we found shade. From buckeye to villa isn't bad at all and I would say one should stay at villa it might be a smaller camp ground but it is so pretty and the river is so pretty. However both sites seem to have water.

Sat May 25 2019

We went backpacking on Memorial weekend 2019. Set out Saturday morning and camped out at Buckeye camp that evening. The entire 3.5 miles to camp were an extreme incline. Very difficult for us new hikers. However, the trail and scenery are BEAUTIFUL. We pretty much had ocean views the entire way. I will just caution everyone of the poison oak. I came into contact with it and have a pretty nasty rash on my arm and back. It sucks!! So be careful. Also, Buckeye camp gets pretty packed, at least when we went. I would suggest leaving early for a decent camp spot.

Thu May 02 2019

Fun trail, and great for a first solo trip. There are terrific coastal views mixed with shaded parts of the trail. It's clearly defined at all places, although there was no turnoffs visible if you're hoping to cut over to Silver Peak. I camped at Buckeye under the tree. It was a stones throw away from a stream, but on my last night people did cut through to get the the pipe. Thursday was totally empty. Friday there were two pairs of campers (one in the meadow and another at north Buckeye). Very quite and the deer didn't mind us at all. On Satursday I only say two pairs of people coming up (and one was passing through to Lion's Den), and I know two pairs were leaving. I found it very private. There is moderate poison oak throughout, so definitely wear pants and bring poles. For the 1 mile stretch approaching Cruickshank Camp (4.3 miles on the AllTrails map) it's flourishing and you have to move slow to avoid contact. Don't forget to look up also! There were a few close calls inches from my head. Despite being very careful and rinsing off with TechNu after the first two nights, I ended up paying the man. Also, make sure to bring cover for bugs if you're not planning to be moving all the time. Will definitely repeat, and will try to take the larger loop to Villa Creek, Lions Den, and then down Salmon Creek next time. If you're just doing an overnight, might consider making camp at Buckeye and then light packing it to Villa or up Cruickshank. Sunset and sunrise overlooking the coast is hard to beat. Would be a 5 star if I hadn't gotten bit by PO...but well worth the toll.

Thu Apr 11 2019

Really beautiful trail! It’s a single person file for most of the trail but is well marked. We didn’t have any issues with ticks or poison oak but keep an eye out. You get beautiful coastal views the whole way. Lots of elevation change. The trailhead at (no longer used) salmon creek ranger station was easy to find and had overnight parking off the highway. The trailhead says it’s 7 miles to villa creek campground (14 miles RT) and that definitely felt more accurate than the alltrails mileage. There was plenty of water sources available but we found the best one to fill up at was right after buckeye campground, around mile 3.5 on the alltrails map.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Loved this trail, it was the right level of difficulty and the trails were very well kept. Beautiful Pacific Ocean views and wildflowers covering the foothills. Villa creek campsite is very well kept and features an amazing flowing creek surrounded by towering Redwoods; there were big enough pools for you to take a dip in if you can handle the cold! Met some other campers there and we all cooked, drank, and laughed around the fire pit all night. A great experience!

Sun Mar 31 2019

The most magical hike in 6 months and we do hundreds of hikes a year. Parking was easy. All streams very passable. Well maintained by rangers and volunteers. Breathtaking views of the coastline. Poppies as well!

Mon Oct 16 2017

Did a quick overnight from Salmon Creek Ranger station (non operational). Steep most of the way in to Buckeye camp but plenty of water even in September (2 creeks still flowing and plenty of water at the Rangers station and at buckeye camp). Overlooks were superb. Only 2 other hikers on the trail but brush was nicely cleared and no poison oak was reaching onto the trail. One small slide area about 1 1/2 miles before buckeye camp but besides that all of the trail was well maintained.

Sat Aug 19 2017

I hiked this trail to Villa camp and back, and it was a beautiful trail. Four creeks were still flowing at the trickle level. The views of the coast are beautiful at the one mile point and there is plenty of beautiful mountain scenes. The trail is easy to follow but tricky in places, so watch your step. Also, most of the trail is uphill until you get to Buckeye Camp and then it is mostly downhill to Villa. Overall, very beautiful. I have been to Villa to camp twice, and I will be back. Instagram @picbynathan

Sat Jun 22 2019