Buckeye Nature Trail

Buckeye Nature Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carmel Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Buckeye Nature Trail is an informative trail that describes the landscape, flora, and history of the site you are hiking. There was plenty of wildlife, especially birds, with an abundance of Red Shouldered Hawks flying about. There were a LOT of dogs running around on the trail as well, none of them leashed so be careful if you bring your dog! There was also a LOT of poison oak which is there year round. The trail also has stairs where it is steep. It is covered by a thick canopy of trees, so if it rains you are not likely to get wet.

This was a relatively easy hike but with some ascending on the front end. The trail is wide and well-maintained. It follows the creek for a short while, then ascends. It is very easy to get onto another trail because these crisscross all over the place. The signage is not always clear or is absent. You'll need the app up to stay on the intended route and you'll need it zoomed. But overall this is a very pleasant hike and a decent workout.

So I’m gonna be honest, I followed the trail outlined on the app verses taking the designated trails around the park and whoever thought that this trail was easy is crazy. Don’t get me wrong I throughly enjoyed the views and the hike itself but the first part of this trail was almost straight up and my knees were not having it, but once we were on the top it leveled out and we went down again and there was another climb. On the way down the trail was so narrow and it was literally steps along the side of a cliff the come back down the mountain, and again my knees were screaming at me. But we survived, we being my dog and I. I think once my fitness level is up I will be doing the trail outlined on the map here again. 4.5 miles not 3.5 like it says.

We really enjoyed this park because there are so many trails. It is very well maintained and we did not see any trash! One thing we laughed about was that how the residents have made this state park their own personal dog park! We had our dog leashed but almost every dog we encountered was accompanied by a seemingly indifferent owner walking either way behind one another along the trails and in the parking area.

Pretty nice hike. The viewpoint is really nice

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great, leisurely hike with young children. Gather acorns along the way and mash them up with a rock at the big stone they have that the Native Americans used. My kids loooooved this. See photos. Look for the buckeye seeds and acorns. My 6 year old was thrilled. Really interesting signs that educate about the plants and the brilliant methods employed by the native Americans to use the plants. Watch out for poison oak. Also, half way through the trail you have to walk for a few hundred yards on the Mesa trail to continue on to the buckeye trail.

Monday, January 16, 2012

This trail takes you through beautiful forest. If you keep going then get on Sky trail take it to the top. it is intense hike but once you make it to Snively's Ridge, it was worth the hard work to get there.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I was rushed in walking it, but I had pulled off the highway looking for a scenic trail. While it doesn't look like much in the beginning, it definitely gains its beauty as you walk. I went out in the rain and it was very soothing to listen to the rain hit the trees, which are so thick I was able to stay dry. It has a lot of informative plaques around as well. There were also a LOT of Red Shouldered Hawks flying around and calling. Beautiful!

CAUTION: There is an abundance of Poison Oak around all year round.

Sunday, July 09, 2017