Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail

Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stony Creek Village, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note this trail is partially on an unpaved road leading up to Buck Rock. You will share the trail with cars making their way up to Buck Rock. Access is seasonal. This trail may also be closed due to weather emergencies. Visitors are welcome when staffed from 10am - 5pm.

recorded Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail

Service road and steady incline the whole way up. Lookout opens at 10:30am. Lots of buzzing from bees. Not too many to worry about.

Great quick climb to the top. Took my 4yr old and she was quicker than me! Great views and excellent volunteers at the top. Road is slow, but in good condition. Past the corrals it has more ruts, but passable.

We spent our Sunday afternoon hiking and climbing the Buck Rock Lookout in Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. This lookout offers amazing 360-degree views of Coastal Ranges and the highest peaks of the Sierra Nevada.

The trail was not marked past Horse camp so we went lft instead of right at the last fork and did a loop back to the road and our car. Since we had already hiked 5 miles we drove most of the way to the look out. It was closed so next time we'll do it right.

Friday, October 05, 2018

What a treasure to see while visiting the Sequoias. You can either park at Horse Camp and walk the couple miles to the lookout or drive the trail directly there. Either way, it’s worth the trip. Be sure to call ahead of time as the lookout is seasonal (559) 565-3676.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Awesome place to go. Views are beautiful and road in has alot of places to stop and walk around. I've seen marmonts there at times. probably should have a truck or something with some ground clearance, trail can get a little rough at times.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Last minute addition to a day trip to Hume Lake, and well worth it! I took my (2) sons, ages 4 and 1.5, and it was pretty easy! Awesome views and friendly staff made this the highlight of the day! I drove up in a stock 2000 Land Cruiser with no issues.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great trail to a beautiful fire lookout with a long, incredible history. Completed in my Subaru Outback, it's not too far out of the way, and best views in the park.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I did this hike back in 91'. Had my 18 month old daughter on my back in her little backpack. Great views from up by the lookout. fairly easy trail

Sunday, March 05, 2017

The top view is definitely worth it!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Easy climb good for kids

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Great trail! I had the privilege to hike it in March of 2014. When hiking the trail, which had some pretty steep climbs on dirt paths, you're surrounded by beautiful and sweeping landscapes. As you summit the mountain and see the Fire Lookout the trees open up and you can see the surrounding ranges...it's a beautiful view. I hiked up to the lookout (it was closed because it wasn't in season) and the views from the staircase are AMAZING! Highly recommended for those who have little hiking experience but want a bit of a challenge.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

There were some difficult climbs, but bypasses are available. Really fun trail with some beautiful views. Completed in FJ with 3" suspension lift and stock Jeep Rubicon.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

I mountain biked it. Gorgeous trail and views from the top of the historic tower were incredible.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

We started from the turn off for Hume Lake 10 mile Drive Hwy 198 just south of the 180/198 junction and rode our dirt bike up and around to Buck Rock Lookout. I hike up to the lookout to enjoy the amazing view and visit with the ranger.We rode down to Big Meadows on the south side and rode out S1411 5 miles before retracting back to our truck. Lots of OHV trails and fire roads in the area. Pretty easy riding and beautiful scenery.

recorded Buck Rock Fire Lookout Trail