Buck Gully Trail

Buck Gully Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Newport Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Out & Back

PLEASE NOTE THIS TRAIL MAY BE CLOSED SPORADICALLY DUE TO CURRENT WEATHER CONDITIONS. Please check park website for most up-to-date information on trail conditions. https://letsgooutside.org/explore/buck-gully-reserve/

Nice trail, mostly flat with shade. If you go up Bobcat, that part is very steep and has a great view.

Found this little gem nearby my house after downloading this application last night. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the neighborhood residents who volunteers to nurture this trail. Thanks to them, this trail is super clean and very well manicured. It’s a great leisure trail that’s nestled between some of Newport’s most expensive homes. In some sections you forget that you are still in the concrete jungle. I highly recommend this trail to anyone who needs a quick getaway from the daily grind. The trail is accompanied by a little stream that is a part of the Santa Ana Watershed. I bet this trail is great after the rainy season. Note - I turned this into a loop by taking the trail to San Joaquin. From there I walked the sidewalk for .8 miles and returned via the bobcat trail. I was glad I did because bobcat trail had the best view. On a good day you can see all of Newport Coast. See my recording..

This is a beautiful trail that is used for hiking, trail running, & mountain biking. I decided to mountain bike. Thankfully, there are several signs indicating this is a one-way trail for mountain bikers and violators will be cited. Unfortunately, two mountain bikers ignored the signs and passed me going the wrong direction making it very dangerous for everyone. Me being primarily a hiker, I went slow on the descents and used extreme caution at the turns and bends. The trail has plenty of signs at the junctions, there are 3-4 well maintained bridges along the trail, the trail itself is narrow in some places but overall in great shape, and there is a lot of shade for those hot days. In fact, a lot of the trail is secluded with high walls of variated flora. It is properly rated as easy (unless you’re biking up the Bobcat Trail) Enjoy!

Buck Gully trail has been recently maintained and new signage is in place at trail interchanges. The signs look great, and have bike restrictions posted.

Bikes one way and no doggies, but the trail is easy and beautiful and the bridges are really sweet...

Easy up and back, back definitely a lot easier (downhill). Very narrow in parts so be on watch for mountain bikes, share the road! Good morning run overall.

I loved this trail. I am just getting back to hiking after ACL repair and I found this trial to be on the easier side but totally worth it. The signs post that it’s a walking trial and no bikes but be warned we had about 5 bikers pass us on a very narrow trail. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. Love the water streams and bridges along the way!

This was one of the first trails I started out with when I got into hiking. I think it’s a perfect starter trail. My favorite part is how the scenery kind of changes throughout the hike. There were a couple sections that were tight and mountain bikers wouldn’t give much warning, so I wouldn’t recommend using head phones. I started on the south side and towards the end there’s a fork in the road where left takes you back out to the road/other starting end of the trail, and the right takes you just a little further up the hill and dead ends. There’s a camera recording wildlife there and when I went there was a small blue lizard absolutely chillin. I felt like he was going to ask me a riddle. I called him lil’ homie so say hey if you see him watching over the fork in the road!

Easy trail, beautiful views.

Good trail hiking today. Didn’t do Bobcat trail, so didn’t need to take my treks.

Trail is in great shape. Went up bobcat trail, .5 all uphill. No bikers today, so it was calming Hike.

Too many Bikers today sneaking up while hiking.

I’ve done this trail 4 weeks in a row, modifying it to keep my interest up. Hit day, but trail was comfortable. Lots of shade.

Nice warm day for s Hike. Went out and back to San Joaquin road, and returned.

Hot today, but Buck Gully was overcast and very comfortable. Did the 5.2 loop, turned up on bobcat trail then walked on San Joaquin hwy to renter trail.. .8 later. Really shady in late afternoon hike. Ralph

I went here alone on a hike. This is a very beautiful trail, with water flowing alongside the trail throughout almost consistently. The path itself is very narrow but there are a lot of trees and bushes on either side, so there's no dearth of shade. Just about a mile from the trailhead, there's also a beach close by with an amazing view. Do check it out too!

I took my kids (ages 4-6) out on this trail this morning. It was cool and overcast. This was a really easy hike with a lot to see (flowers, rabbits, quail, etc.). The kids were really into it and this was the farthest they had ever hiked. They were pretty tired at the end. If you are hiking with kids, be aware of the mountain bikers. The trail is pretty narrow with brush on either side most of the way, but there is room to pass. All of the bikers we saw were careful about approaching us, but they do sneak up you, so be aware so your little ones don't get run over. There really aren't too many places to sit, or rocks to sit on, and rest. However, there is a sort of bench you can sit on at the third bridge you come too, if you come up from the Poppy entrance. It's a pretty relaxing spot in the shade. All in all, this was a great hike. We will definitely do it again.

Awesome trail, green everywhere, stream all along the trail, TONS of bunnies!! Room to run, lots of coverage. No specified parking though because the trail head is in a residential area, read the signs!

Good trail saw a decent number of snakes so be careful

Pretty hike. We went after a rain so it was muddy in sections. It was nice to hear the water flowing most of the hike.

Great place. Hardly any people. Cell service is spotty so make sure you go with a friend or someone knows where you’re going. Best trail run I’ve done in a while. Trail is narrow so passing slows down the time but there are hardly any people! Go do it!

nice trail for a Sunday stroll not too crowded in the afternoon good for beginners

Just did a family hike, and for what this trail is, it was great. Gulch trail so don't expect an ocean view, but a peaceful walk and with the spring flowers in bloom, a gorgeous scene. Took just over 1.5 hrs for the loop, not counting lunch break on the way back. Definite recommendation if you're in the area.

Mostly flat but very relaxing hike!

Great local hike. If you start up at San Joaquin it’s an easy down hill walk, scenic & beautiful now with spring flowers. If you start at Poppy it’s uphill grade is a good workout for a run or mountain bike.

Such a fun trail!!! Kid friendly, good views, lots of shade

This trail is super pretty with all the color from the recent rains. Path is narrow. Lots of lizards, bunnies and hawks. It's great to have some sort of water feature on a hike, and you basically follow the water path while on the trail. We really enjoyed our afternoon here.