Buck Gully Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Newport Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Out & Back

PLEASE NOTE THIS TRAIL MAY BE CLOSED SPORADICALLY DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS. Please check park website for most up-to-date information on trail conditions. https://letsgooutside.org/explore/buck-gully-reserve/

Great trail, 2.2 miles, in and out = 4.4 miles. Now open after COVID-19 closure!

closed

Temporarily closed due to Covid-19. Wanted to try this hike but found it closed due to Covid-19. The west entrance within the neighborhood is gated off with a regular rain closure sign which we ignored because although it did rain pretty heavily last week, it's totally dry now. A little further down, however, the actual trail entrance is caution taped with a large sign which states that the trail is actually closed due to Covid-19. The trail is now approximately a 0.2 mile there-and-back from the neighborhood entrance to the caution tape. Overall I was bummed we didn't get to do the majority of the trail but it was nice to get out and we saw a few birds.

closed

Not sure why all the great reviews. Rather boring trail, super narrow, no views at all of anything, the only positive I got out of this was the stream and bridges. Did this with my 4 and 6 yr olds and they were fine along the entire trail. Would not go back here when so many other nearby trails have open meadows and ocean views.

It had rained the day before and we want to get out of the house. Unfortunately, the trail was closed due to wet conditions.

Good easy 1 1/2 hike

Nice easy hike except at the end where it becomes a 24% incline into a dead end. There is a river running along it and we could hear some frogs. There were lots of birds to look at too. The trail is very narrow though and this makes it more difficult to talk with people.

Good hike/walk. Kid friendly. We took our almost 3 year old and baby. The 3 year old almost walked the whole thing. A hat recommended for the sun, not much shade. There are some areas that smell strongly or urine. So, that’s gross.

Such a fun little gem! Short but effective workout. There is a super inclined part towards the end but it’s definitely do-able. You get beautiful views through out most of the hike. It’s a bit muddy since it’s been raining but nothing too crazy.

Nice trail, mostly flat with shade. If you go up Bobcat, that part is very steep and has a great view.

Found this little gem nearby my house after downloading this application last night. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the neighborhood residents who volunteers to nurture this trail. Thanks to them, this trail is super clean and very well manicured. It’s a great leisure trail that’s nestled between some of Newport’s most expensive homes. In some sections you forget that you are still in the concrete jungle. I highly recommend this trail to anyone who needs a quick getaway from the daily grind. The trail is accompanied by a little stream that is a part of the Santa Ana Watershed. I bet this trail is great after the rainy season. Note - I turned this into a loop by taking the trail to San Joaquin. From there I walked the sidewalk for .8 miles and returned via the bobcat trail. I was glad I did because bobcat trail had the best view. On a good day you can see all of Newport Coast. See my recording..

This is a beautiful trail that is used for hiking, trail running, & mountain biking. I decided to mountain bike. Thankfully, there are several signs indicating this is a one-way trail for mountain bikers and violators will be cited. Unfortunately, two mountain bikers ignored the signs and passed me going the wrong direction making it very dangerous for everyone. Me being primarily a hiker, I went slow on the descents and used extreme caution at the turns and bends. The trail has plenty of signs at the junctions, there are 3-4 well maintained bridges along the trail, the trail itself is narrow in some places but overall in great shape, and there is a lot of shade for those hot days. In fact, a lot of the trail is secluded with high walls of variated flora. It is properly rated as easy (unless you’re biking up the Bobcat Trail) Enjoy!

Buck Gully trail has been recently maintained and new signage is in place at trail interchanges. The signs look great, and have bike restrictions posted.

Bikes one way and no doggies, but the trail is easy and beautiful and the bridges are really sweet...

Easy up and back, back definitely a lot easier (downhill). Very narrow in parts so be on watch for mountain bikes, share the road! Good morning run overall.

I loved this trail. I am just getting back to hiking after ACL repair and I found this trial to be on the easier side but totally worth it. The signs post that it’s a walking trial and no bikes but be warned we had about 5 bikers pass us on a very narrow trail. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. Love the water streams and bridges along the way!

This was one of the first trails I started out with when I got into hiking. I think it’s a perfect starter trail. My favorite part is how the scenery kind of changes throughout the hike. There were a couple sections that were tight and mountain bikers wouldn’t give much warning, so I wouldn’t recommend using head phones. I started on the south side and towards the end there’s a fork in the road where left takes you back out to the road/other starting end of the trail, and the right takes you just a little further up the hill and dead ends. There’s a camera recording wildlife there and when I went there was a small blue lizard absolutely chillin. I felt like he was going to ask me a riddle. I called him lil’ homie so say hey if you see him watching over the fork in the road!

Easy trail, beautiful views.

Good trail hiking today. Didn’t do Bobcat trail, so didn’t need to take my treks.

Trail is in great shape. Went up bobcat trail, .5 all uphill. No bikers today, so it was calming Hike.

Too many Bikers today sneaking up while hiking.

I’ve done this trail 4 weeks in a row, modifying it to keep my interest up. Hit day, but trail was comfortable. Lots of shade.

Nice warm day for s Hike. Went out and back to San Joaquin road, and returned.

Hot today, but Buck Gully was overcast and very comfortable. Did the 5.2 loop, turned up on bobcat trail then walked on San Joaquin hwy to renter trail.. .8 later. Really shady in late afternoon hike. Ralph

I went here alone on a hike. This is a very beautiful trail, with water flowing alongside the trail throughout almost consistently. The path itself is very narrow but there are a lot of trees and bushes on either side, so there's no dearth of shade. Just about a mile from the trailhead, there's also a beach close by with an amazing view. Do check it out too!

I took my kids (ages 4-6) out on this trail this morning. It was cool and overcast. This was a really easy hike with a lot to see (flowers, rabbits, quail, etc.). The kids were really into it and this was the farthest they had ever hiked. They were pretty tired at the end. If you are hiking with kids, be aware of the mountain bikers. The trail is pretty narrow with brush on either side most of the way, but there is room to pass. All of the bikers we saw were careful about approaching us, but they do sneak up you, so be aware so your little ones don't get run over. There really aren't too many places to sit, or rocks to sit on, and rest. However, there is a sort of bench you can sit on at the third bridge you come too, if you come up from the Poppy entrance. It's a pretty relaxing spot in the shade. All in all, this was a great hike. We will definitely do it again.

Awesome trail, green everywhere, stream all along the trail, TONS of bunnies!! Room to run, lots of coverage. No specified parking though because the trail head is in a residential area, read the signs!