Bryne Trail

Bryne Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Watsonville, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Owned by the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County. Beautiful Forest with a lot of elevation change. Wide trails, picnic areas with gorgeous views of the Monterey Bay

Nice hike, lots of shade. Part of the hiking trail very narrow and lots of poison oak. Trails poorly marked. Yet the hike is basically up then down. Hard to get lost.

Unfortunately we did not see Samantha's comment below and followed our GPS directions which ended up at the gated and locked bridge. With no cell service we weren't able to check back to this site so no hike for us that day, but we'll try again another time.

Awesome hike. Steep at some points, but great view as a reward.

Great little hike. Thanks to Jeff, former forest kepper, in his honor suprises are left on trail. I got to enjoy little surprises on the way up and down the mountain too.

Great trail!

Your GPS will want you to cross a bridge to a gated yard, but keep going and look for address 806, which is a flower and packaging shop on the left about 5 minutes farther. You'll then follow signs for 809.

There is a portapotty at the parking lot.

The trail is great with a lot of side trails. I had a dog with me and she enjoyed climbing up and down the hills. I recommend checking out the vistas and White Redwood Trail while on this loop.

There are some very steep trails here!!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I followed the trail as it's presented on this site. A great view of Monterey Bay from the top but be advised that parts of the Byrne and ridge top trails are pretty steep. About 830' total elevation gain but it comes in short stretches. Most of the trails are fireroad wide. A few nice surprises along the way. Lots of doggies; people are encouraged to bring them to this park. The 1 mile road coming in is indeed a one laner but you are unlikely to have a problem. There are a few bumps and heaves but my Civic had no problem. Also, watch for ticks; the Byrne trail near the Milliron trail has a lot of overgrown grasses and I met a hiker who picked up a tick.

Monday, January 18, 2016