Brown's Ditch Trail

Brown's Ditch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Fork, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great easy hike. Walking across the metal grates is nerve racking at first. I get a bit of motion sickness, so walking against the flow of water made me a bit dizzy. Not a lot of climbing. My 10 yr old and 8 yr old loved it and did great. The end has a bit of water to look at and we didn’t cross the pools.

It was more of a walk than a hike. But this walk let you down... it’s definitely thrilling and adventurous. Walking on the flumes is exhilarating... especially if there’s water. I wouldn’t suggest little kids do this hike... it could be dangerous. Nice little place to have a picnic at the end with the sound of the rapids.

We took my 3yr old and a 6yr old friend.
I was fine starting out but if you have issues with heights be prepared for a few tough descents. I froze several times trying to get over metal grates. The kids had a great time, we made it to the water for a picnic and a little rope free boulder climbing. The views were great, the breaks were many. Bring plenty of water, or something to purify with.
Start early and enjoy the peacefulness, if you’re out on Saturday be prepared for taking turns walking down the metal grates.

We did this hike as a family with the kiddos...trail length is actually over 5 miles but super flat and easy kids really enjoyed it. Also the flys are NO JOKE!! they sure are buzzing around a little annoying at times but we got through it.

Did this quick hike today (12-8-17) and I have to say I enjoyed it. The bugs are brutal at times though, I didn't believe the reviews I read before going and wrote them off as city slickers whining but they were right, those flies are persistent. Other than that it was just what I wanted for a quick day hike just to get out of Fresno for the day and recharge before finals next week. Practically flat the whole way and a super easy trail to follow literally just following the flume but walking the tops of the flume gave it just enough uniqueness to make it interesting. There's currently no water running in the flume other than stagnant puddles but the waterfall and pool at the end are flowing nicely.

Really fun to walk over all the flumes! The face flies were a bit out of control but we used branches to fan our faces and it was tolerable. Our kids, 8 and 10, did well on the flumes but it might be a bit scetchy for little ones.

Fun little trail to check out. Half of the trail is burnt up from the fires recently. None of the trail is ruined from it. When you get to the end there is a nice water spot to have your lunch.

Do not take your dogs on this hike or there feet will get destroyed due to sharp cleats walked on. Do not take little brat children due to how dangerous it is. Our 11 year old did great though but she is not a brat. Lots of nats. Still an exhilarating hike. well worth it. I gave it a 4 because of bug presence.

Great trail.

This is a fun and easy hike. You're able to walk along the grates on the flume and the trail ends at water so it's a nice midpoint to enjoy before turning around. There's plenty of parking in the dirt across the street then just follow the flume!

Took my dog on this trail and the grates cut her paws. Pawful trail! >:(

I'd go back just for the view. It was beautiful, a little smokey because of the fires but still nice. Just beware of the gnats if you decide to go. Maybe bring something for your eyes because it gets pretty intense at certain points.

The amount of flying bugs was terrible (not sure if they were mosquitos). Used a can of bug spray and still couldn't escape them. The trail is easy and mostly flat. Wouldn't recommend if you are afraid of heights or have poor balance. The "waterfall" at the end is pretty...not sure if I would swim in the water.

Took my dog on this trail and the grates cut her paws. Pawful trail! >:(

Did not live up to my expectations of 4.5 rating. What is this a 4.5 out of 10? Do you wanna walk on grates? Then this is the "hike" for you! Would not do this again.

Gorgeous and beautiful reward at the end with the rapids! (^^)

Took the kids and my Dad on this trail and was surprised how fun it was. Super easy but for the kids first hike it's perfect. When you get to the end there is a waterfall "off trail" up about .4 miles but worth the hike through the forest. Totally recommend this for first timers getting them started into hiking.

More of a walk than a hike. Some spots have great views but the forest fires left it's mark on a third of the trail. It's refreshing to walk in the canal, if your willing to step on a few rocks. My cousin and I found a creek below one of the bridges you cross and decided to look into it. It was gorgeous. There's a big flat rock perfect for yoga (with a 20-30% incline) and a quick resting spot. The end was worth the wait. Nice man-made pool perfect for a picnic and to swim around and cool off.

Tip: if the water if high enough in the canal, bring a small inner tube or paddle board to float down the canal on the way back. The whole time we wish we brought one. Looked like a ton of fun.

Great for beginners! Has beautiful scenery and a waterfall at the end!

Nice fun hike on the flume with great views of the South Fork Bluffs. The rapids at the end are amazing.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Very easy....took our time just getting my daughter into nature and hiking ..

Monday, April 10, 2017

Loved this trail! Very easy and good payoff with the rapids at the end.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Awesome hike. Did not know what to expect and let me tell you the hike was great. Added some pictures, so everyone can see. Not difficult and would recommend you add the south area of Bass Lake to the hike which is right off the parking lot. Parked on the dirt lot across the street. You are looking about 6.5 miles. Light hiking boots or trail shoes are enough.

Monday, January 30, 2017

For me it was hard to find the beginning of the hike. If your coming from Fresno then the parking will be to your left and the beginning of the hike will start across the street to your right. There's a small street sign that says browns ditch road or something like that. Right now there's lots of muddy spots and lots of snow as you hike further in. There's no signs guiding where you should go and that made it a little difficult for me to know if I was going the right way. All you have to know is that the trail runs along the side of the flume the entire time of your hike. I brought my small dog, but I wouldn't recommend bringing your dog unless you have a carrier like me to carry him every time you walk on the flume. In my opinion, the steel flume looks sharp for dog paws. Overall, I definitely enjoyed this trail. A totally different way of hiking. Happy Adventuring!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

This trail was really fun! A little scary walking on the flume but doable. A little slippery at times but we got to hike in and out of snow and the waterfall was amazing thanks to all the rain from the past few weeks!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

This is one of my favorite local hikes. This hike transitions back and forth between walking on the flume and on the trail. You can enjoy the beautiful view of the South Fork Bluffs along the route while listening to the water rush beneath your feet. Once you reach the top you can enjoy the swimming hole and relax by the creek. Unfortunately this isn't a great hike for dogs since the flume walkway grates are rough. As you walk along this trail take note of the bark beetle issues in the pine trees. You will also come across an area where the willow fire burned. When you return to the trailhead walk across rd 274 and take the short paved trail down to the Bass Lake Dam. Have fun!

Monday, November 21, 2016

A little confusing about where the trail head was. No sign. There is a good sized dirt lot to park in and then you cross the street to the trail, just follow along the aqueduct. Easy enough for my 6 yr old though he started complaining about being tired around 4.5 miles.