Brown's Ditch Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(96)
Sierra National Forest

Brown's Ditch Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Fork, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 272 feet Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Yes there are no trespassing signs but can be easily gotten around. It’s worth the hike. 5 miles total out and back and extremely flat. Probably the easier mountain trail you will ever do. Peaceful and only saw 4 other couples. I would not bring your dogs though. You have to cross many flumes and it’s fun but would be tough on their paws. Lots of shade and luckily no bugs for us. About 70*F out. Highly recommend.

private property

Fantastic trail! I did it today and had a great time. I wouldn't call it dog friendly and wouldn't recommend it to someone with a fear of heights. All the obstacles put up caused no problems at all. Remember to bring bug spray and water!

Gate locked. Private property. This should be removed as a trail. Enter at your risk of being caught trespassing. Lots other trails to enjoy people

Sat May 11 2019

I live in North fork and this is by fast my favorite hike. they put chain link up to block it off most of it is passable but the last part at the waterfall is a bit tricky tho get around but doable if you can climb a bit. I think by putting that chainlink up makes it more dangerous cuz ppl are going to try to get around it and could be an accident waiting to happen. not sure why they are more forceful about keeping ppl out this is an amazing hike ❤ it.

Sat May 04 2019

warning I love this hike in spring but PGE has now put fences up and do not enter at every crossway and trail to it. SO they don't want anyone on it anymore. So Sad you would need to climb over several fences to go back

Very nice trail. Great easy hike and has awesome views.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Trail is closed per signs posted. You are unable to hike the trail and doing so is trespassing. Do so at your own risk. you can walk down the trail across from this one, passed the driving gate and you are atop the bass lake dam. Theres beautiful views. It makes up for this trail being closed.

Thu Dec 20 2018

Beautiful views on an historic waterway.

Sun Oct 28 2018

No sorry. This trail didn’t work out for us. Our Wiem was very nervous and uneasy walking over the metal grate bridges, which caused uneasiness for us as well. Some fellow hikers told us that the ending waterfall was worth it, but our poor baby wasn’t enjoying herself so we called it quits. May 2018

Sat Sep 01 2018

Great hike. Very little vertical change on the whole trail. I’d say it’s 6 miles total. Lots of walking on narrow metal grates but beautiful views. The last half of the trail for some reason there are a lot more nats flying around. Idk why. The water is great. Chilly. But super relaxing. Only saw 2 other couples on the trip. Highly recommend. Unless your scared of heights or bad balance.

Wed Jul 18 2018

The trail says its private property and there's signs everywhere but bumped into a few locals and they said a lot of people do the hike. Bring lots of water. There will be a lot of metal grates to walk on.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Said this was a private property trail? We went on july 1st and it was really hot. We were scared there wasn't going to be any water because the canal that you walk over was empty for the first 2 miles. Thankfully the river appears near the end and the waterfall section was coool. We went for a dip and cooled off. good times!

Sat May 05 2018

This was a nice trail and it was fun to walk the flames. It's a pretty easy trail . Went on April 22 2018 and the water was running. Will definitely do it again when it's a little warmer to play in the creek.

Mon Apr 23 2018

Great easy hike. Walking across the metal grates is nerve racking at first. I get a bit of motion sickness, so walking against the flow of water made me a bit dizzy. Not a lot of climbing. My 10 yr old and 8 yr old loved it and did great. The end has a bit of water to look at and we didn’t cross the pools.

Sun Apr 01 2018

It was more of a walk than a hike. But this walk let you down... it’s definitely thrilling and adventurous. Walking on the flumes is exhilarating... especially if there’s water. I wouldn’t suggest little kids do this hike... it could be dangerous. Nice little place to have a picnic at the end with the sound of the rapids.

Sat Feb 24 2018

We took my 3yr old and a 6yr old friend. I was fine starting out but if you have issues with heights be prepared for a few tough descents. I froze several times trying to get over metal grates. The kids had a great time, we made it to the water for a picnic and a little rope free boulder climbing. The views were great, the breaks were many. Bring plenty of water, or something to purify with. Start early and enjoy the peacefulness, if you’re out on Saturday be prepared for taking turns walking down the metal grates.

Fri Feb 09 2018

We did this hike as a family with the kiddos...trail length is actually over 5 miles but super flat and easy kids really enjoyed it. Also the flys are NO JOKE!! they sure are buzzing around a little annoying at times but we got through it.

Mon Dec 11 2017

Did this quick hike today (12-8-17) and I have to say I enjoyed it. The bugs are brutal at times though, I didn't believe the reviews I read before going and wrote them off as city slickers whining but they were right, those flies are persistent. Other than that it was just what I wanted for a quick day hike just to get out of Fresno for the day and recharge before finals next week. Practically flat the whole way and a super easy trail to follow literally just following the flume but walking the tops of the flume gave it just enough uniqueness to make it interesting. There's currently no water running in the flume other than stagnant puddles but the waterfall and pool at the end are flowing nicely.

Thu Nov 23 2017

Really fun to walk over all the flumes! The face flies were a bit out of control but we used branches to fan our faces and it was tolerable. Our kids, 8 and 10, did well on the flumes but it might be a bit scetchy for little ones.

Tue Nov 14 2017

Wed Oct 25 2017

Fun little trail to check out. Half of the trail is burnt up from the fires recently. None of the trail is ruined from it. When you get to the end there is a nice water spot to have your lunch.

Tue Sep 26 2017

Do not take your dogs on this hike or there feet will get destroyed due to sharp cleats walked on. Do not take little brat children due to how dangerous it is. Our 11 year old did great though but she is not a brat. Lots of nats. Still an exhilarating hike. well worth it. I gave it a 4 because of bug presence.

Thu Aug 31 2017

This is a fun and easy hike. You're able to walk along the grates on the flume and the trail ends at water so it's a nice midpoint to enjoy before turning around. There's plenty of parking in the dirt across the street then just follow the flume!

Thu Aug 24 2017

I'd go back just for the view. It was beautiful, a little smokey because of the fires but still nice. Just beware of the gnats if you decide to go. Maybe bring something for your eyes because it gets pretty intense at certain points.

Tue Aug 15 2017

The amount of flying bugs was terrible (not sure if they were mosquitos). Used a can of bug spray and still couldn't escape them. The trail is easy and mostly flat. Wouldn't recommend if you are afraid of heights or have poor balance. The "waterfall" at the end is pretty...not sure if I would swim in the water.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Took my dog on this trail and the grates cut her paws. Pawful trail! >:(