Brooklyn Mine Road

Brooklyn Mine Road is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, California and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Brooklyn mine. Is my first off-road destination I’ve done in Joshua Tree. I went on the black eagle trail a day later with not seeing much. If I had one choice go for Old Dale road, and Brooklyn mines. There are several other mining camps around the area. A easer (flatter) way to BM is by turning left after exiting Joshua NP to goldenrod mines then head north to Los Angeles mines there you can hike up into BM. I took all trail map route to the hilly part. I seen everyone (but not me) turn around. A lift, good tires aired down , and in lo 4 wheel. The rocky scary looking hills was not too hard at all. I enjoyed having the place to myself.

off road driving

Brooklyn mine is a great spot to spend the night. it's rated as a hard trail but it's not very hard. it is remote and you do loose the trail at times but it's a great spot to get to. The mine is quite extensive. the ladders are questionable so make sure you tie off. my sniffers never went off while I was there but I didn't get to the bottom of the mine. I saw at least 3 levels in the mine and will be going back to explore and map it.

off road driving

I've done this alone but carefully at the end. The first half is okay with a moderate 4WD the second half needs a lifted 4WD. I went in early April before it was too hot. And I had rock sliders, a winch and WATER.
The paint scratches are called "Rocky Mountain pinstriping"! It would be more fun to go with a group, I agree, and safer. See http://westernsnowbirds.com/ for my photos, in Backroads and Sights (Old Dale). No ads or spam.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

We were excited to take this trail as we had been on the Old Dale trail the day before and wanted a more challenging area to traverse. We entered from the 62 highway and followed the coordinates of a trail map downloaded from Trails.com. Parts of the trail are washed out by flood waters but we scouted around on foot and found the trail again. Once we got into the mountains a few miles we decided to turn back due to 9-16" boulders and lots of narrow areas where the brush would destroy my paint. I hacked a few dozen back with a hatchet before giving up. It was 100 plus and we were alone. I'd recommend having another vehicle to do this trail. It's fairly remote and in that kind of heat it could be a deadly hike out should you get hung up or break down. We circled back to another tail to Carlyle Mine and really enjoyed it, albeit a short jaunt. I have a lifted 2015 Rubicon, but not willing to risk the Brooklyn Mine Trail alone. Call me silly.