Brokeoff Mountain Trail

Brokeoff Mountain Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Creek, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until December.

rock climbing

Climb one of the park's best trails to experience the unrivaled views from the summit of Brokeoff Mountain. Located four hours northeast of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with a passing interest in geology. Many folk head to Lassen Volcanic National Park with a plan to hike Lassen Peak, and for good reason - it's a really good signature hike for the park. However, if you have time to hike only one peak on your travels choose Brokeoff Mountain which affords you some of the best views of the park from the summit, including great ones of Lassen Peak.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Haven't done this hike in a few years, but it is more of a work-out than the Lassen Peak trail . A very nice glen of trees to stop and rest along the way. Take enough water! I climbed it in the middle of August and ran out of water at the top. :)

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

One of the best hikes in the park!

Sunday, August 02, 2015

This is one of my favorite hikes in Lassen. It's strenuous, but has a lot of variety--forest, meadows, a creek, & outstanding views from the top!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What a most beautiful view from the top. The best trail in the Lassen Park.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

This was a fun trail with great views! Not an easy hike, but very rewarding. We had beautiful weather and not too much traffic on the trail.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Lassen is one of my new favorite places. Since the Lassen Peak trail is still closed, I decided to do Brokeoff Mountain. It is seven miles roundtrip with 2600’ elevation gain. It took me about 4.5 hours to complete with plenty of stops to take photos and a nice lunch break at the top.
..............
I would not classify this as a double black diamond hike. I would rate it moderate to strenuous. The first 2.5 miles are the most difficult, because of the steepness of the trail. The trail eventually levels out, and the climb becomes gradual. It was relatively easy to get to the summit. The trail is very nicely maintained and easy to follow. Gorgeous views greet you at every turn. The forest sections are so peaceful and happy. It snowed the week prior, so there was a little snow on the trail. I used a trekking pole to help cross the more slippery parts.
..............
The views from the summit are stunning. The weather was perfect, so there were clear views of Lassen Peak and Mount Shasta in the distance. It was a bit windy and chilly at the top. I was glad to have gloves and a jacket with me. There were a lot of people at the summit, including a very loud and rambunctious group of boy scouts and bunch of giggly college girls. I didn’t stay as long as I wanted. Still, I am so glad I did it. This was a great hike that I will likely do again.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

So nice. I was lucky enough to experience a handful or crazy weather patterns all in one afternoon. One of these storms took away my sunset return but some crazy sleet was plenty exciting as an alternative. Love this hike. So glad I got to squeeze it in before it gets any more snowy.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great workout for us 50 plus folks. Nice payoff views from the summit.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great workout with a beautiful payoff at at the summit. My wife and I are on the shady side of fifty but a good soak in a tub afterwards erased most of the incurred damage.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Fast and furious on the way up. Good heart pounding stuff. Spent some time on the top just hanging out and enjoying the view. Came down slow to enjoy all the different flora and fauna. Definitely worth the trip. A good pair of hiking shoes or boot are helpful. Trail is well traveled so getting lost is by choice. Not a lot of traffic on the trail. Great motorcycle trip!

Friday, September 12, 2014

Great views, beautiful meadows! I even had a bear encounter my last hike there!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

great trail good leg workout pretty steep and gorgeous views through the whole trail definitely a good one

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

This is actually a beautiful trail with trees along all but the last 1/8mi of trail. The summit offers a great 360 view with Lassen peak to the east and a flat top.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Definitely challenging. Hike took about 2:45 up &1:20 down. Trail is very well maintained & not as rocky as some, lots of shady spots to catch your breath until you pass the treeline a half mile or so from the peak. Total distance clocked by my fitbit was 8 miles roundtrip, not 7 as some suggest. Views were spectacular.

Friday, August 09, 2013

Moderate to challenging hike. The parking lot is small so get there early. The trail up top is rather narrow, so I was a bit scared. One slip and down you go, lol. Luckily, my group was all ok and got to see a nice view of Lassen Peak in the near distance. There was also lots of pretty wildflowers and interesting moss on the trees to see during the hike. Saw a couple of deer too.