Brokeoff Mountain Trail

Brokeoff Mountain Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Creek, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until December.

rock climbing

Climb one of the park's best trails to experience the unrivaled views from the summit of Brokeoff Mountain. Located four hours northeast of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with a passing interest in geology. Many folk head to Lassen Volcanic National Park with a plan to hike Lassen Peak, and for good reason - it's a really good signature hike for the park. However, if you have time to hike only one peak on your travels choose Brokeoff Mountain which affords you some of the best views of the park from the summit, including great ones of Lassen Peak.

Not well marked right now tons of snow

Summer Trail- a beautiful traverse through meadows, forests, past streams, and up across the side of Brokeoff Mountain. Great views of the surrounding Lassen Park. The final 1/3 of the hike has the best views as the trail wraps around the west side of Brokeoff. Plan to spend some time at the peak, as the views of Lassen Peak are great (though be careful, there are many large drop-offs.)

Winter- snow shoeing this hike is also a true joy. We followed a set of tracks that seemed to very closely parallel the summer trail. There is no "avalanche forecast" for the Lassen area so use your best judgement and don't proceed too far past the 1.5mile meadow if the snow appears unsafe. The final 0.5mile of the "winter route" proceeds directly upwards, instead of switch backing. A difficult finish to a moderately difficult climb.

Hiked it last weekend February 10th. I had rented snowshoes and my friends had crampons. Wish I got the crampons. It was hard and icy and towards the top the snowshoes lost traction and I slipped twice at the top before the summit and had to turn back. Slid through rocks to stop first slide and second time had to flip snowshoes toe picks down to slow glissade or I would have ended up down at the bottom of the mountain on the steep western slope. Hike was challenging and fun other than that. Views are priceless.

Made it up the the ridgeline but turned back on account of not having snowshoes or crampons to handle the ice on steep terrain up to the summit. Will definitely return with the proper gear. Trail was easy enough to follow until the treeline starts thinning. Just keep switchbacking towards the ridge at that point. There's a small cairn, not visible from below the ridgeline, marking where the trail meets the ridge. Views are definitely worth the effort, even just from the ridgeline.

Hard but worth it. Views of Lassen are spectacular. Bring a summit beer and enjoy the views!

Difficult at times but the views are more than worth it! Lassen peak and the surrounding area are gorgeous. If you’ve done the peak you can easily do this trail. Definitely recommend a lot of water and a fully charged camera! Also, the peak is windy so pack accordingly.

A great hike with amazing views!

Beautiful. The climb is distributed all over the climb so no big push! Gorgeous views all around!

This has been my favorite trail so far in Lassen! The hike was great from start to finish. It took about 3 hours 45 min with a 15 min break at the the top. Perfect view of Lassen Peak, and lots of good viewpoints along the trail. I highly recommend doing this trail when you visit the park, it was unforgettable.

I've been up Lassen Peak 5 times since the 90's. Brokeoff is more scenic and a bit tougher climb. Not quite the elevation, but the views are startling.
Do this one above the peak trail. You won't be sorry.

Very nice hike with change in terrain and flora. Lots of cicadas. Lots of queen ants at the top. What's with that? Much we're Hike than Lassen Peak

I love this hike! It's both beautiful and challenging. It took me about 3 1/2 hours total at an average pace with little breaks. There are streams, wildflowers, and the view of Lassen Peak from the top is breathtaking. I have even seen deer on this hike before. Highly recommended

Awesome awesome awesome hike. Has it all - views, wild flowers, waterfalls, and variable terrain. Good amount of shade except near the top. It's definitely a work out but well worth it. Highly recommend this one.

Saw beautiful flowers all along the trail. Amazing view at the top !

called ranger, location NOT DOG FRIENDLY

Hiked this today, saw a half dozen other hikers going the other direction so not too many brave Brokeoff. Worth the view at the top, but definitely on the more strenuous side, especially at the end. Can do this hike in about 4 hours if you don't spend too much time at the top. The snow made the trail a little hard to follow so we just climbed some rocks around it until we found the trail again. Would definitely recommend, make sure you bring plenty of water though.

7/29/17. Great day for a hike. Snow melted all but 100 yards of trail. Flowers in full bloom. beginning of trail with shade and running stream, then climb out to show great views of the valley, Lasses peak, Shasta off in the distance, and many other sites. Yes, this hike has some elevation gain but is worth every step.

We hiked to the top and while we brought mini-spikes and trekking poles we didn't need either. Snow crossings were a bit slippery in the afternoon slush but nothing treacherous. Altitude slowed us down but still made the round trip loop + photos in 4:20 Very pretty hike with awesome 360 views at the summit.

I frequently snowshoed Broke-off this spring. If you are going in early spring please have good caution, and beware of the small creeks that run through this trail. This is a really fantastic snowshoeing and hiking experience. During the summer it is a wide variety of landscapes, and during the winter it is gorgeously monolithic.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Haven't done this hike in a few years, but it is more of a work-out than the Lassen Peak trail . A very nice glen of trees to stop and rest along the way. Take enough water! I climbed it in the middle of August and ran out of water at the top. :)

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

One of the best hikes in the park!

Sunday, August 02, 2015

This is one of my favorite hikes in Lassen. It's strenuous, but has a lot of variety--forest, meadows, a creek, & outstanding views from the top!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What a most beautiful view from the top. The best trail in the Lassen Park.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

This was a fun trail with great views! Not an easy hike, but very rewarding. We had beautiful weather and not too much traffic on the trail.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Lassen is one of my new favorite places. Since the Lassen Peak trail is still closed, I decided to do Brokeoff Mountain. It is seven miles roundtrip with 2600’ elevation gain. It took me about 4.5 hours to complete with plenty of stops to take photos and a nice lunch break at the top.
..............
I would not classify this as a double black diamond hike. I would rate it moderate to strenuous. The first 2.5 miles are the most difficult, because of the steepness of the trail. The trail eventually levels out, and the climb becomes gradual. It was relatively easy to get to the summit. The trail is very nicely maintained and easy to follow. Gorgeous views greet you at every turn. The forest sections are so peaceful and happy. It snowed the week prior, so there was a little snow on the trail. I used a trekking pole to help cross the more slippery parts.
..............
The views from the summit are stunning. The weather was perfect, so there were clear views of Lassen Peak and Mount Shasta in the distance. It was a bit windy and chilly at the top. I was glad to have gloves and a jacket with me. There were a lot of people at the summit, including a very loud and rambunctious group of boy scouts and bunch of giggly college girls. I didn’t stay as long as I wanted. Still, I am so glad I did it. This was a great hike that I will likely do again.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

So nice. I was lucky enough to experience a handful or crazy weather patterns all in one afternoon. One of these storms took away my sunset return but some crazy sleet was plenty exciting as an alternative. Love this hike. So glad I got to squeeze it in before it gets any more snowy.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great workout for us 50 plus folks. Nice payoff views from the summit.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great workout with a beautiful payoff at at the summit. My wife and I are on the shady side of fifty but a good soak in a tub afterwards erased most of the incurred damage.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Fast and furious on the way up. Good heart pounding stuff. Spent some time on the top just hanging out and enjoying the view. Came down slow to enjoy all the different flora and fauna. Definitely worth the trip. A good pair of hiking shoes or boot are helpful. Trail is well traveled so getting lost is by choice. Not a lot of traffic on the trail. Great motorcycle trip!