Brewer Lake OHV Trail

Brewer Lake OHV Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 971 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

Good trail for mild 4x4 builds. Drove my 2000 4Runner with 33s and a 3" lift and used the locker a couple times. My friend in a 2013 Tacoma with 31s, a 2.5" lift, and a locker made it as well, but scratched his bumper a slightly and 3 of his wheels. We both have a lot of experience off roading but there were a couple rocks where we needed to spot each other. Neither of us have any armor. My 4Runner did well but the Tacoma was pretty slow going. We made it about 1000ft or so from the lake and walked our stuff in to camp. To get a rig to the water, you'd need at least one locker, 35s and armor. We saw a 4 seat rzr make it to our camp by the water.

off road driving

Scenic lake and great camping spots. The trail is easy to moderate with challenging boulders closer to the lake. '03 4runner, 3" lift, 35s, armor, no lockers.

off road driving

The trail is overall entertaining it keeps you thinking. i was in a crosstrek and was able to make it about two thirds of the way to the campgrounds before we parked my car and had to hop in my friends truck. this trail can't be fully completed unless you have a nicely built rig! this trail being rated as easy is not correct!

off road driving

This trail is not easy, by any means. The first mile or two are easy, but the last mile is rough—especially at the lake. When you arrive at the lake there is a new route (go left) to avoid the infamous 68” boulder pinch. XJ on 34” tires made it with relative ease all the way to the water. My 1st gen Tacoma TRD with 2” lift couldn’t quite make it to water, had to throw in the towel with just 50 yards left to go. I sustained minor damage on the way out because of my longer wheelbase (ext cab), and inexperience. Stock vehicles should not attempt to reach the lake, but there are several camping pullouts within hiking distance.

bridge out

Really great trail - easy and no need for 4x4. The main bridge for brewer lake was closed when I was up there yesterday (8-15-19) but even then make a slight left and the trail continues. Definitely going back to check out the main trail but there were a ton of smaller routes you can venture off on that might require 4x4. Tons of fun highly recommended for first timers. For sure going back.

off road driving

Great trail!! Trail is very easy for off-road vehicle use until the last half mile or so. Lake is beautiful!! Clean bathroom!! Great trail for biking, hiking, driving. Highly recommend this for an easy destination.

Still lots of snow on the ground. There's a second lake if you keep going about .5 miles past Brewer Lake, and it is also really nice. No one was there and I enjoyed it more!

off road driving

Came up with a two brother in law’s and a friend. All stock rigs. 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen 4runners and 1 stock full size tundra. There were some spots on rock pile where it got tricky for the tundra otherwise, it was a good drive. Will definitely have a much easier time with a good spotter on trucks with clearance issues or full size. Camped on lake and the fish were biting good.

Monday, September 24, 2018

Nice trail. You definitely need a good spotter. Had a great time. Took my stock Nissan Frontier 4x4 and had some problems going up but nothing major.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Great hike but it's 7 miles up and back, not 5.5, from the gate after driving in 20 minutes on a dirt road from 168. Very inaccurate directions and trail length

Saturday, November 04, 2017

fun little hike. was pretty foggy so hard to see much. would recommend.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

We ran this short, rocky trail in our stock Polaris RZR in about 2 hours in and out. Several interesting diversion trails and spurs along the way. Although rated Easy, you will want to have a moderately modified vehicle and more than zero rock crawling experience in order to avoid banging the undercarriage on this trail. It can be done if you are careful. The end of the trail will reward you with a breathtaking view, small but hungry fish and definitely a Kodak moment. Plan a half-day and bring lunch for a great ride.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

good trail not to long not to short, good for a day trip. everyone was right the last 200 yards is the worst of it if you have rock rails you will be using them. I'm running 35's and a 4" Rubicon express lift on a 2016 jeep Rubicon and it tested the tires and suspension very well. all and all it was a great trip.

Friday, August 12, 2016

I love this trail. doable without lockers. it only has a few tough spots, the worst of then being right at the end. the fish are small but agressiv.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Fun trail. I did it in my stock 2015 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon. Got through most of the rock pile with only a few scratches on my rock sliders. That's one thing I would recommend are rock sliders. I Used them more than once.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Very fun! It's a good trail for wheeling. I have basically a stock Gen 1 Montero with 29.5" BFG ATs and it was pretty easy all up until "the rock pile". I attempted it but my skid plates definitely got used, too much than I was comfortable with so I just backed down, and parked right before it. My buddy with 32" tires in a XJ was able to get over the rock pile (with some slight scraping on rear diff), and was able to complete the rest of the trail (which is not much). 95% of the trail is easy/semi-easy then you encounter "The Rock Pile" as it's known. If you are not on at least 31s this will be a very tricky obstacle. Have no qualms about taking this trail, if you are 4x4 and have a good amount of clearance underneath. The Rock Pile is at the very end of the trail, and about 1/4 mile from Brewer Lake. Fun little trail, saw other rigs built up a lot more than ours. I would definitely rate this as Moderate. Stock high-clearance SUVs/Jeeps probably would not make it over the rock pile unless you have lockers or bigger tires (the rest of the trail would be easy-peasy). Fishing wasn't great in the middle of the day when we tried fishing. Saw a few fish jumping but none of them bit on anything.

Saturday, June 07, 2014

did this trail with my wife and kids in the jeep. there was still snow on the ground when we went. great day trip from madera. the lake is nice and has fish in it.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Good trail. There is one hard area where -- for trucks with less clearance -- a good spotter is a must have as some of the rocks are fairly large and the area for maneuverability is somewhat limited. The last section of the trail requires a very built truck as there are large and numerous boulders; there is an area to park near a pit-toilet and the walk down to the lake is pretty short. The lake is pretty awesome, nice and clear with fish. The water was a pleasant temperature as well. Overall it was a good day trip. We left Bald Mountain base camp at ten and got back about five-thirty.

Sunday, September 16, 2018