Brandy Creek Trail

Brandy Creek Trail is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near French Gulch, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

nice hike along Brandy Creek, pretty waterfalls Brandy Creek Falls is a pretty little 30 ft. drop along Brandy Creek in the Whiskeytown Natl Recreation Area. In the spring, Brandy Creek is rushing fast with the snowmelt coming off of Shasta Bally. To get to the waterfall, you can take a short 2.6 mile (RT) hike after driving up the Shasta Bally Rd for 3.6 miles (off JFK Memorial Dr). Alternatively, you can take this longer 7.4 mile (RT) hike on the entire length of the Brandy Creek Trail. The Brandy Creek Trail climbs moderately along the creek, sometimes getting close to the creek, but mostly staying high above it. Don't miss seeing Lower Brandy Creek Falls, located 2.8 miles along the trail, just before the trail crosses Rich Gulch. The trail finally ends at a crossing of Brandy Creek, just below the main Brandy Creek Falls. It is not difficult to walk up beside the falls.

The last half mile is like one continuous waterfall. It was nice and cool and beautiful.

q

Absolutely incredible waterfalls, even in the middle of summer! You can drive to the end of Brandy Creek road to make this a 3 mile loop as opposed to trekking all the way from the bottom by the lake. Pretty strenuous uphill for me, but 100 percent worth it. Try taking Rich Gulch on the way back down, a little longer but great views
of the mountains above.

I started this trail at the trailhead down by Brandy Creek Beach which made it 6 miles, maybe a smidge more. Honestly, if I had known there was a road that lead closer to it I would have done that.
A man that worked there approached me about a bear, which I always say I want to see, but being alone and realizing it might actually happen had me pretty on edge! haha I walked with my taser the entire way and did not see a bear. I would like to go back with a friend and then I won't worry so much.
Some of the trail was getting pretty overgrown, worst of it was a short stretch after Brandy campground. One of the trails was missing its marker, luckily I had a map. :)
This was definitely my most eventful hike. Decided to walk up the side of the fall and see if I could find a way down next to it. As I stood there, debating if I could make it down AND back up, the really soft dirt came trickling away from my boot. Luckily a fallen tree was near and I was able to push off and scramble back up (Like Black Sheep, except my tree held strong lol)! Whooo, I would have been bruised and wet, but fine, but idk if my camera would have survived.
THEN, on my way back down from that, I scooted over to let some people by and slipped on a wet rock and landed hip and elbow first, hard. haha Idk if the trail liked me, but I still enjoyed it!

Beautiful hike. Gorgeous falls. Mosquitoes are horrible. Make sure you have Deet.