Brandy Creek Trail

Brandy Creek Trail is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near French Gulch, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from March until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

nice hike along Brandy Creek, pretty waterfalls Brandy Creek Falls is a pretty little 30 ft. drop along Brandy Creek in the Whiskeytown Natl Recreation Area. In the spring, Brandy Creek is rushing fast with the snowmelt coming off of Shasta Bally. To get to the waterfall, you can take a short 2.6 mile (RT) hike after driving up the Shasta Bally Rd for 3.6 miles (off JFK Memorial Dr). Alternatively, you can take this longer 7.4 mile (RT) hike on the entire length of the Brandy Creek Trail. The Brandy Creek Trail climbs moderately along the creek, sometimes getting close to the creek, but mostly staying high above it. Don't miss seeing Lower Brandy Creek Falls, located 2.8 miles along the trail, just before the trail crosses Rich Gulch. The trail finally ends at a crossing of Brandy Creek, just below the main Brandy Creek Falls. It is not difficult to walk up beside the falls.

AMAZING!!!

We started at the Brandy Creek Trailhead not really knowing much about this trail. The gravel road to the left of the trailhead will take you to the Brandy Creek Falls trail/parking lot, but starting where we started adds roughly 4 miles to your trip & is a beautiful hike! You will eventually come to the road from the trail, turn right & continue up the road until you see the Brandy Creek Trail sign that continues off the road, or choose to hike the road at this point & it will still lead you to the falls parking area! Great hike to take your dog but there are lots of ticks, so make sure to double check when your done :)

Went in mid-January as I like to avoid the heat. Saw very few people on the trail. Maybe 2 or 3 other groups. First time raking my dog hiking and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. I am not in shape but there was only one incline that's was difficult for me. This trail was right up my alley. The whole time you're surrounded by moss covered rocks and trees that lent it a very ethereal or old world feel.
only thing was that this trail is very confusing. We were hoping to make it to brandy creek falls and didn't realise that there we two separate trails. We were on the lower half of the trail and didn't realise that if we had driven further up the road we would have cone to the entrance for brandy falls trail. On our way back we ran into a father walking with his two small boys who had the same confusion we did. The lower trail does lead up to the entrance to the falls trail if you wanted to do both though. We'll be returning real soon to make the hike up to the falls.

The last half mile is like one continuous waterfall. It was nice and cool and beautiful.

q

Absolutely incredible waterfalls, even in the middle of summer! You can drive to the end of Brandy Creek road to make this a 3 mile loop as opposed to trekking all the way from the bottom by the lake. Pretty strenuous uphill for me, but 100 percent worth it. Try taking Rich Gulch on the way back down, a little longer but great views
of the mountains above.

I started this trail at the trailhead down by Brandy Creek Beach which made it 6 miles, maybe a smidge more. Honestly, if I had known there was a road that lead closer to it I would have done that.
A man that worked there approached me about a bear, which I always say I want to see, but being alone and realizing it might actually happen had me pretty on edge! haha I walked with my taser the entire way and did not see a bear. I would like to go back with a friend and then I won't worry so much.
Some of the trail was getting pretty overgrown, worst of it was a short stretch after Brandy campground. One of the trails was missing its marker, luckily I had a map. :)
This was definitely my most eventful hike. Decided to walk up the side of the fall and see if I could find a way down next to it. As I stood there, debating if I could make it down AND back up, the really soft dirt came trickling away from my boot. Luckily a fallen tree was near and I was able to push off and scramble back up (Like Black Sheep, except my tree held strong lol)! Whooo, I would have been bruised and wet, but fine, but idk if my camera would have survived.
THEN, on my way back down from that, I scooted over to let some people by and slipped on a wet rock and landed hip and elbow first, hard. haha Idk if the trail liked me, but I still enjoyed it!

Beautiful hike. Gorgeous falls. Mosquitoes are horrible. Make sure you have Deet.

had a hard time but it was well worth it. Beautiful trail

The falls were beautiful. The trail was pleasant with intermittent steep grades. I hiked this in late April and the falls were really flowing. Definitely worth doing.

The road up to the trail head was a little narrow but I made it in a van. The walk was easy and we'll worth the view our son was able to even walk up. hope u enjoy it

Monday, April 17, 2017

This was a great tail to start the season on. after sitting all winter it was great to get out and moving.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

The waterfall was really gushing! Really beautiful. However, was not happy the road is still closed. Wasn't prepared for almost a ten mile hike due to the road closures.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The hike is awesome and the creek is nice and cool and beautiful. Highly recommend this trail.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

The hike was awesome it was defiantly better than I thought it would be. It was not too difficult to reach the falls. The falls are out of control right now with all of the rain we have been having. Some of the railing for the waterfalls are underwater right now.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Beautiful, great mid level hike by not too long. Dozens of photo opportunities!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

hiked this trail today January 27. Moderate trail with snow on portions of the trail. trail is mostly uphill. will get your heart pumping. waterfalls were beautiful. Could have stayed there all day!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Beautiful!

Monday, July 25, 2016

I've hiked this twice now, both times starting at the gravel parking area, making it about a 3 mile round trip hike. Not too tough. A few steeper areas but plenty of areas where it levels out. Gets a little slippery in spots on rocks and with moss, but there's plenty to grab on to for keeping steady. At the falls, wade across or rock-hop to the other side and climb up to the upper pool area. So beautiful! Pretty well maintained. Lock your cars wherever you park, and bring bear spray. On my first hike there I saw a mom bear and her cub!

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Hike this trail all the time, even when I was 6 months pregnant. One of my favorites.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Every time we go to Redding we alway make sure to dress as if we're going hiking and as we would have it we end up hiking up to the falls! We love the French Gulch and everything it has to to offer!

Friday, May 08, 2015

beautiful trail

Monday, October 20, 2014

Great hike. Hiked the brandy creek falls trail at the end of the trail . It added 3 miles to the hike but made it worth it . Saw a Black Bear on the trail. Plenty of water if u have a filtration system.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great family hike with beautiful falls and cold, clean water. Some mosquito issues and we met a shy young black bear coming down.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Great morning or afternoon hike. Falls are beautiful and water is clean and cold. Some mosquito issues and a young black bear was encountered as we descended. Fairly easy for us over 50 folks.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

make sure you have lots of water to drink on this trail! beautiful hike though

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A nice trail that runs along creek most of the time. A couple of remote campspots along the trail with benches and firepits,bathroom. Lots of use trail keept pretty clear of brush. Lots of shade durring summer months. Brandy creek falls toward top of trail. Road access to waterfall and parking spot. Day use permit required anywhere in Whiskytown Lake park area. Swimming holes durring summer to cool off in.