Boy Scout Trail

Boy Scout Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

old growth

The Boy Scout Trail ranks as one of the top showcases of old-growth redwood forests in existence with truly huge trees and several distinct redwood forest types. Part of the beauty of Jedediah Smith Redwoods is that it is the single least developed and most pristine old-growth forest around. The Boy Scout Trail has an honest feel of remoteness to it, with not a whisper of modern sounds to be heard. Catch this trail on a sunny morning and the filtered slanting rays reveal a stunning variety of textures and color variations on the redwood's bark. In the fogs of this region, the sense of mystery becomes astounding. This is an out-and-back hike and unlike other hikes, both directions are amazing, revealing a constant supply of sights you may have missed on the way in. It's really a toss-up over which direction is better. The trip to the trail head is an adventure as you walk through a magnificent old-growth grove on Howland Hill Road. Much of the route is on an old dirt logging road that's kept well graded. If you've never toured on logging roads, you should absolutely do it! There's a visceral something totally lacking on paved roads. This one's easily passable in 2WD. At the trailhead, located in a spectacular redwood grove, there's a little pullout that can accommodate about six cars.

Beautiful trail!!!

Excellent hike. Beautiful, smells fresh, amazing trees!!!! End falls are small but nice. One of my all time favs.

Loved it! Took me 1:55 out and back. Heads-up that the falls are about 10 mins or so past the Boy Scout Tree SIGN not the tree. Maybe that's self-explanatory to everyone, but wasn't to me.

Went at 8 AM and didn't see a soul until my way back when I saw a solo woman and an older couple. As I was driving out, saw nearly 15 groups of people coming in. Worth noting, I did this trail solo with no apprehension.. minus my brain seeing all kinds of crazy things in the trees. :)

Based on the comments, I thought the road in was going to be WAY worse. It wasn't too bad. Take it slow and keep going!

As far as the complaints about noise.. I didn't hear anything. Or rather, I couldn't hear anything over the sound of my heavy walking and breathing. Haha. In all seriousness, I heard a LITTLE bit of traffic once I got to the tree.. but is it nature's fault we encroached on their turf?? Nope. Chill, and enjoy the breathtaking scenery.

This was my first hike in the Redwoods and it was amazing. The groves here are magnificent, it really feels like you're wandering around magical forests. We brought lunch and took a seat in front of the massive Boy Scout Tree at the end of the trail. Plenty of seating here and a nice way to relax before you head back. Just a couple tips, no bathrooms here. The road to this trailhead is bumping and unpaved my Nissan Versa did just fine. There are a couple trailheads off this road including Stout Grove, which has bathrooms.

Ultimate quiet.