Boulder Creek Trail

Boulder Creek Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near French Gulch, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The road up was a little scary but the hike itself to the falls was flat and easy. We had the falls to ourselves and it was beautiful. There is a nice little pool to swim in if you like cold water. There is also a smaller pool a little ways down that was perfect for my toddler to splash in.

Beautiful falls at this time (late April). The trail is basically a service road so it's a very easy hike from the trail head. The road up to the trail head is very steep. I would recommend a 4x4.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

The hike itself isn't too special for most of the way, but the areas by the creek crossings and the ruins of the old residence were really pretty and neat. We went the longer route. Lots of poison oak (even right in the middle of the trail at times) so if you have kiddos, be sure they know what it is and to stay away. Didn't see any snakes but saw lots of lizards. The actual falls were incredibly peaceful and beautiful, and the rock formations were really fascinating. We climbed up the rock face up to the next level of the falls, which was fun and adventurous. The pool is a good one for kids to swim in, if they can last the entire hike. All in all, totally work the trek. I would say moderate is a good description of the difficulty. It's long.

Friday, July 22, 2016

The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is it's difficult to figure out which trail is the actual trailhead. There's two entrances, one making the hike significantly shorter. That sort of irritated me because I can make it up the other road just fine with my vehicle and a condensed hike would have been nice. However, I hiked the full 3.2 mile trek up to the falls, and it was still very beautiful and relatively easy for my skill level. Not much heavy terrain except rocks and a few steep hills. WATCH. FOR. SNAKES. I kept feeling like I was going to see one the whole time, and bam, finally ran into a gigantic one looking me directly in the eye smack dab in the middle of the trail basking. I'm crazy, so I kept walking and reached the falls. Absolutely gorgeous and worth it. Not much room to play and swim, but there will probably be no one there with you, so you'll have plenty of privacy and time to just sit and sulk. Ignore my recording time, I stopped a lot and forgot to pause. There's 3 creek crossings, all extremely easy and great places to rest. Bring bug spray, TONS of mosquitos in the shade.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

brought my 2 year old, wife and dog. It was a solid hike with variations in trail type, grade and difficulty. All in all very doable albeit a longer hike than ideal with the kiddo - considering the destination. There are better falls with easier treks in the Whiskeytown NRA. If you want to be one of the few in the trail, then Boulder Creek is perfect.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Monday, May 11, 2015

Hiked in to the falls went up mill creek trail a ways and back . Stopped at the primitive camp . Set up tent for the night . Was a awesome experience except for the mosquitoes !

Saturday, June 14, 2014

This is a great trail to hike. I would consider it an easy trail, only took an hour with stops for pictures on the way up and 45 minutes on the way down with picture stops. Worth the hike in order to see the falls. Not much room at the falls for exploring, but a good place to kick back and enjoy the falls.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

There are 2 trails to the Falls stop at the visitor's center at Whiskeytown to get maps to both trail heads. Mill Creek road is 4 wheel drive only but is the shorter trail