Boucher Trail and Scott's Cabin Loop

Boucher Trail and Scott's Cabin Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aguanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Boucher Trail to fire tower overlook, then Adams Trail to Scott's Cabin Trail back to Silvercrest Picnic Area. There is a small fee to enter the state park.

Awesome! Perfect weather. A little peoplie but great trip.

We hiked this trail on Sunday, 10/14 with 4-adults and 3-kids (ages 12-14). On the way to the trailhead, you will first reach the State Park gate where you will need to pay a $10 fee to enter the Park. There is a small building there with the ranger, and inside are some really nice stuffed examples of the local wildlife. The parking lot is very, very close, on your left. There is a bathroom building there with nice flush toilets and a picnic ground.

The hike starts down the paved road for about 300 yards, then enters the dirt trail. One thing I liked about the trail system is that it is mostly very well marked. If you are unsure where the trail transitions from the paved road to the dirt (it’s a funky 5 way intersection), then just check google maps street view, the street view shows it all, including down the trail, it’s pretty cool.

The trail goes thru some really nice oaks, and up a long hill, coming to a nice lookout at the Boucher Fire Lookout Tower. Be sure to ask any fire watch attendants for a tower tour. We did, and it was super cool for the adults, and the kids tolerated it just fine.

Back on the trail, and you’ll find a trail that is at this time very well maintained. They must have done a recent clean up and trimming all along it.

Warning, there is ALOT of poison oak in the area. None posed a problem along the trail at this time, but you need to be weary of it and educate any kids. Due to being fall, the poison oak was easy to spot, as it’s a beautiful red color.

Second warning, a tick tried to come home with us, but lost its life along the way, before it got to bury its head in my wife’s arm.

Wildlife: plenty of birds, saw lots of lady bugs in one meadow, and I mean lots... like a gazillion. Saw a group of 4 deer crossing the trail about 100 yards ahead, and In the last 1/2 mile or so, a small fox crossed the trail and posed upon a tree stump for us. It was super cool.

We liked the trail very, very much. I would have given it 5 stars, but downgraded it to 4 stars due to the poison oak and the hitchhiking tick. For a 3.4 mile trail, it gave a good workout with lots of beautiful scenery.

Great hike, so beautiful, amazing scent of cedar and pine throughout.

Very beautiful hiking. Especially at the partly cloudy wether.

We loved this hike. Somehow we turned it in to about 6 miles and the fit bit says about 112 stairs climbed. Lots or great up and down trails. Some downed trees across the trail here and there. Hope they don’t remove them. Easy to get a little of everything on these trails. E will be back soon.

There is a $10 entrance fee to the park. CASH ONLY so come prepared. The general store will do cash back if you forget but they are limited by what’s in the till. The trail to the lookout was short and moderately steep. The views would be spectacular on a clear day, but it was hazy when we went. From the lookout, the trail heads downhill and there are numerous downed trees across the trail that were fun for our toddler and made the day interesting. Overall, trail would be considered an easy outing if it wasn’t for the downed trees you have to traverse along the way.

Amazing views as always and the in the freezing temperatures much of the trees and foliage around covered in stunning icicles!

Monday, February 05, 2018

Me, my husband, and our 2-year-old did this loop trail today (2/4/18) and it was amazing. Beautiful views, plenty of shade, quite a few easier sections where our son was able to get out of our hiking backpack carrier and walk himself, and we only saw 3 other groups the entire 3-and-a-half miles (that may be due to it being Super Bowl Sunday though). The weather couldn't have been more perfect, it was between 66 and 70 degrees throughout our hike (we started at 10 and got done at 12:15). We will be back frequently.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Beautiful trail. don't forget to bring your insect repellent.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Cool trail with ridgeline views of Harrah's casino below. Some parts of trail could use some TLC. Had to bend and climb through some brush.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We just did this loop June 4th, 2017. Boucher Lookout has spectacular views, and normally the ridge line views along the Adams trail are quite beautiful. I've done this exact loop before and my last trip in February I gave it four stars. However, the Adams trail needs some serious TLC. As of June, 2017 it is severely overgrown, almost impassable in numerous places. At several times we had to crawl on our hands and knees, even stomachs, and climb over/under (mostly through) bushes and dead trees. I'm not a novice hiker by any means. I truly love hiking. But, until this trail gets cleared up, I'd recommend spending your time doing a better trail elsewhere. Ideally Palomar State Park officials should close the Adams trail until it is cleared up, so other souls don't have to suffer through the misery we endured today.

However, if you like hiking off trail, bushwhacking, groveling in dirt and sticky bramble bushes, tripping over root stumps, crawling over and under burned out trees, and loads upon loads of bugs, then this is a terrific trail for you. It would also make a great date hike if you have a girl/ guy you really want to break up with. This trail would do the trick for sure. In that case, I would give this trail five stars.

Buen Camino,

KV Adventures

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Great trail. Lots of fallen trees to negotiate, woodpeckers to listen out for & outstanding views as your prize. Hiking boots needed really & plenty of water. Make sure to check out 'Mother's Kitchen' for breakfast or lunch before heading into the park!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Relaxing/easy hike to do! There was a lot of trees knocked down on this trail, but it was fun to climb over them while hiking

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Great trail once you are on it. The ranger typically invites hikers up to see the views from the Fire Lookout Tower

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Hiked almost 9 miles today. Weather was nice. Only saw about 10 people. Stuck to the perimeter trails to get the most distance. Not too much elevation. Baptist trail gained some elevation fairly quick but then leveled out. Boucher's Hill and the lookout is nice as well. I will be going back for more.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Absolutely beautiful.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Beautiful. Saw some deer.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Nice well maintained trail thru pine forest with fire lookout tower overlook with great views

Monday, January 13, 2014

We hiked from Doan Pond up the hill towards the picnic area then back around to the school camp. The weather was threatening, no rain but a cloud lay upon the mountain, and we walked through mist. Air temp in the low 40's, autumn colors were outstanding, very few people were out hiking. I decided Palomar Mt. is at it's best when the weather keeps the crowds down. You may have to bundle up, but the solitude, and beauty is worth it!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The trails on Palomar mountain are fabulous. There is very little foot traffic on these trails even when the campgrounds are full. I have put in over 20 miles of hiking a day here and seldom see more than a handful of people on the trails which is wonderful for me!!!! I did have my worst trail running accident ever on these trails (no fault of the trail I was on flat ground) but tore my ankle up bad..... hiked out 4 miles, drove myself the 2 hours to San Diego Hospital, still return to camp/hike there!