Borrego Canyon Trail to Billy Goat Loop

Borrego Canyon Trail to Billy Goat Loop is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Forest, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Loop

During the winter this park may close due to rain events.

On Borrego Trail The views were beautiful and there was a few butt kicker hills which was a good workout...Billy Goat Trail was scary...declines were steep and rocky, some sliding from under you, part had a very skinny path with plants you have to touch to walk through. We were very anxious at one point because the path was thin, curved and you couldnt see around at what was coming- we had 2 snakes cross the path, but had those been rattlers, we wouldnt have been able to pass. So, it was a bit stressful for a bit- not moderately trafficked at all! . After we reached the main trail, it was faster, but definitely a trek. Due to rocky terrain, we probably wont do that part again, however the area has a lot of others to attempt!

So many different flowers along Billy Goat trail so beautiful! Only downside is that part of the trail is on the street.

While out visiting family in the area for Thanksgiving, I was informed of this series of hiking trails. This one was labeled as moderate and was around the distance I wanted to go. The trail is fairly well maintained, with the beginning of Borrego Canyon Trail mostly hard pack with a layer of sand. You may find that you share the trail with mountain bikes. As I neared the top hiking along Mustard Road, it became muddy and slick. It had rained the night before. The mud was clay-like and built up on the treads of my shoes. Bikes were having a tough go with the amount of mud build up on the tires. As I reached the top where this trail loops around, I decided to detour and take Water Tank Road and Dreaded Hill Road up to the top of Dreaded Hill. Then I came down the same two roads previously mentioned and took Billy Goat Trail back down to Borrego Canyon Trail. As you get near the top, you lose tree cover. The trails are well marked and maintained. I found it odd that dogs are not allowed on the trail. This is an enjoyable hike!

It’s a nice stroll. Quite a few other people on the trail early in the mornings. No shade coverage after the first half mile. Would prefer somewhere more secluded and away from the immediate city. Took about 2-2.5 hours.

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Such a beautiful place, I added Red Rock Canyon to this hike since this was my first time here. It never crossed my mind about the name Billy Goat Trail, but sure made sense once I started it. This is a fun, but rough trail. The right shoes are a must, and the only trail I used my pole on. I'm fairly new to hiking and 53, so I just take my time. Really worth it though, gorgeous views.