Borrego Canyon to Vista Look Out Trail

Borrego Canyon to Vista Look Out Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rancho Santa Margarita, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful ...

Fairly easy to walk on the first part. Once you get to Mustard it's all uphill. A bit steep, but the entire walk is beautiful in the spring time while you're being guided up in between Mustard flowers paralleling the trail. The top view was pretty, but it's a little anticlimactic for me. I started around 9:30am and there were way too many people there.

We took our 2 toddlers in the jogging stroller. While the second half was definitely harder, it was still doable with a great payoff of nice views. If taking a stroller I suggest going early to avoid crowds, going back when it was more crowded proved difficult managing the double stroller with crowds.

Great short hike. The first leg is family friendly, but after the turn onto Mustard Rd, the hike gets a little more difficult. The payoff is decent as you are able to see the snow on the mountains off in the distance, but only barely. Next time I will try for a trail closer to the snow.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Easy hike in, but a steep uphill climb once you turn onto Mustard Road. The hike flattens out when you get to the Vista Lookout turn.
Enjoyable, with a great view (and breeze) when you get to the top.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Beautiful trail. Later part has almost continously hike but with beautiful views. Enjoyed it.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

This was an easy 5.5 mile hike, and a nice break from school/work, but not my favorite. I enjoy having trails like these that are close to home; it gives you every reason to find a friend (or go by yourself) and hike last-minute. I really began to enjoy myself after we reached Mustard Trail(?) and took a left toward the lookout because it felt more isolated; the first part of the trail was pretty crowded for a Monday afternoon, but it was nice seeing parents walking with their kids. The difficulty after the crossroad/guide map increased quite a bit, but I enjoyed working for the view. Can't wait to check out the rest of the Limestone- Whiting area!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

It was fun! Amazing views of South Orange County!

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Great! Would have liked it more without the bikers. (Sorry! But I'm hiking with my 9 year old and the bikers seem to come out of no where and go fast.)

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Lots of mountain bikers. Starts off nice and woodsy and opens up to a medium gradient uphill to Vista Point. Decent for being so close to the city. Still, you are better off going to the other staging area on Glenn Ranch Road and exploring those trails instead.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

a lot biker...otherwise a nice hikking trail

Sunday, November 15, 2015

I just completed this hike about an hour ago and avoided the rain. The first mile and a half is crowded and very easy but around the two mile mark, the trail gets much steeper. At the top, a picnic table and shade. Not a bad hike for the morning.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Loved it!!! Beautiful views, it's shady most of the way. There are a lot of mountain bikers but they are really friendly and mindful of hikers

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Awesome easy to moderate local hike. Definitely hit it early or late, can get hot back there. Very well maintained. If you connect to the Vista Outlook Trail via Mustard Trail & Borrego Canyon, be prepared for a .3 mile pretty steep climb. Well worth the view though. We did Borrego Canyon to Vista Outlook via Mustard Trail then wehn we came back we did the Red Rock Canyon Trail, super easy and well worth it, really cool back there!

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

It's a pretty nice evening hike. It has some decent views, and I didn't see a single person while making my way up to the look out. Keep in mind, though, that it's pretty easy. The trail is smooth, there are only a few somewhat steep parts, and the beginning portion is shaded.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pretty good trail. Very busy and constant bicyclists that you have to move for. Be very aware that near the end of the trail where the rest area is... There are lots of rattlesnakes. You can hear them on each side of the trail. Easy rating is accurate.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Easy to moderate hike. Great view from the Vista Outlook! Originally planned on Borrego to the Outlook but decided to also check out Red Rock Canyon since it was an extra mile once we got back on the Borrego trail.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Good elevation when going towards Vista Lookout. Nice views, not too tiring so good hike for a Sunday.