Borrego Canyon Trail to Red Rock Canyon

Borrego Canyon Trail to Red Rock Canyon is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Foothill Ranch, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 452 feet Route Type: Out & Back

During the winter this park may close due to weather conditions. Please check with the park before visiting: http://www.ocparks.com/parks/whiting

Used to be a pretty cool trail. It’s easy, but FILLED with bikes. They roped off the coolest view of the rocks now too.

Beautiful little hike! I took 5 kids, ages 1-8) on this and carried the 1 year old the whole time. All kids loved it and besides the 1 year old, only the 3 year old asked to be carried for the last half mile. This trail is perfect for a hike, trail run, or x-country mountain biking. Beautiful green growth from mature oak trees, ivy, and all sorts of other flora and fauna. There are multiple areas where you are completely enclosed by greenery. Weather happened to be perfect when we went too. We saw a big coyote that had no fear of us so be careful if you bring little kids or small dogs. Saw a good amount of poison oak/ivy, but it shouldn't be any problem since the trail is well cleared.

Red Rock canyon is awesome. There's a little bit of shade on the trail. Be careful though, there were swarms of bees out. I just ran past them quickly and didn't get stung. Also saw a coyote and rattlesnake!

Beautiful trail! Made it all the way to the top of red rock canyon♥️

Great trail for biking, walking. There is enough shady spots. The only thing I didn’t love was the view of the homes up on the cliffs. This trail connects to a vista point (1500 ft) a little tough to get to but worth it!

A nice beginner hike or trail run. Lots of shade for most of the trail, shared with mountain bikers. Red Rock Canyon trail is for hikers only. The Canyon isn’t very big but it’s pretty cool that it exists in the middle of a populated area. The trailhead is literally attached to a massive shopping center. It’s kinda crazy to walk back out and see such civilization immediately after being what feels like a world away.

Easy hike and amazing one along with family

some parts shaded, some not. there was a nice little breeze today that helped with the heat. I honestly thought the Red Rock area would be larger, but perhaps that is because I did not go beyond the "do not climb rocks" area... regardless, it was a nice hike that provided a good little workout. Parking is $3 for the day until sunset. And there are (clean!) porta potties at the trailhead.

Great for the family (5 and 8 year old)

I love it

Easy Trail... lots of shade

Beautiful trail. Lots of shade until the accent to the Red Rocks. Very easy and enjoyable hike. There is not much parking at the trailhead.

Such a fun trail. Good distance not too long and not too short. Lots of shade too which is a bonus.

Great, easy trail, awesome to see the red rocks and read the new signs about the history.

It’s pretty awesome once you get to the red rocks!

The first trail is kind of dull but the red-rock is utterly fantastical spectacular

This was a very fun hike for my GF and I. This hike seemed to change as you progressed and made you feel like you were in a different world as it did. The scenery was beautiful and the hike was fairly easy. We came on a hot day and there were a couple rattlesnake sightings from other hikers on our way to red rock. As we almost reached the red rock we did come to a point where there was a small puddle you had to cross to continue further and that puddle had a swarm of bees that seemed to be drinking the water and just buzzing around the area. Only way to continue was to literally walk through them so my GF and I decided to take the risk and made it through successfully (which was a huge feat as she is terrified of bees). On our way back out we had to cross that puddle again and that was not fun. I did get stung once but shockingly it wasn’t from crossing that puddle. All that being said the hike didn’t disappoint and I was glad we made the trip.

decent shade and not too busy.

Very nice trail. Perfect condition. Some areas of Rocky and Sandy trail, but overall easy Hike.

Loved it. It was my first time mountain biking! 5/2/19

After 4 days without workout, I decided to give this trail a try. I've been wanting to walk this trail for the longest time but every single time I have come it was closed. Today I finally saw it open and after doing my last customer, I came to do 1 hour. The view was nice and clan I started at 7 AM and ended at 8:10 AM. It wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be, however when I was an hot to leave I saw many cars parked around there already. Parking is $3 but since I'm frugal, I parked at Ralph's risking a ticket or worst getting my car impounded. Overall I give it a 5 star walking trail, it is well kept and cleaned. I'm going to have to bring my sister to come along next time.

Got to the parking area around 6:30 am on Sunday 4/14/2019 and there were a couple spots left. Parking is $3 and there are not a lot of spaces. I have parked across the street before. Trail was finally open after all the recent rains. Several creek crossings, but you won’t get your feet wet. Couple of mud crossings, but there are logs that you can walk across. There were quite a few mosquitoes. Nice canopy of trees that cover a good portion of the trail. Once you get to the Red Rock Canyon trail, it is damp hard packed dirt. The Canyon is amazing, it feels like you are in a canyon in Utah. Hard to believe that there are houses very close by. The Canyon is far enough away from any streets that you cannot hear any traffic. In the way back to the trailhead it was crowded with lots of mtn bikers, runners and hikers. Trail Rating Guide ***** I’d do it again tomorrow **** I’ll do it again, it after I hike new trails ***I’ll do it again if someone asks **I’ll begrudgingly do it again *I’ll never do it again

This trail is finally open to hike. On our way in we passed 2 rattle snakes on the trail. when we passed they didnt move, even with all the traffic that is on that trail. LOTS AND LOTS of trail riders. No Switch backs, it's mainly a dirt trail with some sections of gravely rocks. Make sure to keep an eye on the trail marker on the side of the trail, it is easy to miss the park where you go left for the red rocks. We went passed it and went out of our way for about a 1/2 a mile. when u get up into the red rocks it's much cooler in temp. Lots of little areas to climb up into to hangout and have a little lunch. Nice little hike, I will def be back for more Adventures.

Trail closed FYI