Bootjack Trail Loop

Bootjack Trail Loop is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,158 feet Route Type: Loop

Admire the breathtaking Redwood (Sempervirens) Trees as you stroll through historic groves.

Awesome hike with well kept trails and California red woods aplenty.

Lots of trail splits so had to look at the map a lot (I’m an out of towner). Not crowded at all and trail was a nice combo of forrest and open areas. It was fun to go the the inn at the top.

July 4th hike, and got there at 7:40 to miss the crowds. We were the first ones on the trail, and went over two hours without seeing a soul. Lots and lots of people for the last mile though. The climb up Bootjack is difficult, with stairs that help a little bit. Other than that it’s pretty easy to moderate. Coastal redwoods are spectacular, and this is definitely a forest hike - almost no direct sun. Absolutely beautiful through and through. Strongly recommend.

Unable to comment on trail as i did not have parking reservations. Make them before you leave or be prepared to take a shuttle into the park.

The uphill part was a bit rough for me but overall a really nice hike. I love all the shade. Saw 2 banana slugs and a playful chipmunk. Lots of small waterfalls. Very peaceful.

We did Ben Johnson -> Bootjack -> TCC -> Stapelveldt. Total mileage clocked was 14.7km on my friend's fitbit. Beautiful redwoods and pine trees! :)

This was an amazing trail — loved the peaceful start in Muir Woods, then away from the crowds in a climb following a creek. Great restful meadow on top of the ridge at the midpoint. Beautiful views everywhere. Highly recommend- one of my all time favorites

Great trail, lots of stairs. Great workout. No Ewoks though...

Amazing trail make sure you get to the veterans bench look out at the very top of the Alpine Trail it might not seem like a great vista unless you do that. Overall really awesome trail beautiful redwoods walking down through on the way home on the Ben Johnson Trail.

On the way down to Muir Woods you will see sign that say a reservation is required. Listen to them! Go on gomuirwoods.com. If you don’t they turn you around. Now onto the trail! Great climb up with plenty of redwoods waterfalls, creeks, and green scenery. Loved it. It starts out as a national monument which is a boardwalk and paved area that’s meticulously maintained.

If your car-less and coming from San Fran, an easy and affordable way to enjoy Muir Woods is: 1. Take bus(#30)/ferry to Sausalito ($6.50/$12 one way), 2. Take Muir Woods shuttle ($3 round trip; reserve seat in advance). Beats the $70+ tours! This trail was mainly in the shade but got some filtered sun. Very few muddy spots. Well maintained, wide packed trail for most of it. There is no summit (it hugs the contour line once you’ve reached max elevation) and there aren’t viewpoints. Consider the Dipsea trail if you want a peak at the ocean. Definitely nice to get away from the crowds.

Enjoy this hike and the beautiful views. It was hard for me because of all the stairs and steps this hike had but overall it was beautiful!

Really great hike! One of the best around. Only saw a few people on the trail and there is plenty of shade! We went in the morning and it was the perfect time. Saw some deer and a banana slug (watch out for them crossing the trail!) Most tourists do not usually hike and just check out the visitor center and around it. I recommend reserving parking in advance online, which is really all you have to worry about when going to Muir Woods.

I hiked this trail for the first time in January and was so inspired by the beauty, I hiked the loop a second time. Definitely tired after 2 loops, but followed it by a great meal at BooKoo in Mill Valley. I’ve returned three times since because the trail views are lovely. In the summer, the amphitheater is used for live theater so we planned a day around it: We watched Mama Mia and then hiked...very fun. I felt safe hiking it alone, but use your own discretion.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

One of my favorite hikes in mount tam. Perfect level of difficulty with some steep climbs, gorgeous views, and it’s a loop trail.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Had a great time on this trail. It was our second time hiking and it was definitely a challenge but 100% worth it for the beauty.

Saturday, June 30, 2018

We started off this trail towards Mt. Tam East Peak last Sunday. Great Hike despite the struggle, the steep stairs & rocky areas. It sure did kicked our butts but it’s all worth it once you get to the peak with the panoramic view of the city and the view above the clouds! It’s just so magical! Im definitely coming back!

Friday, June 22, 2018

Gorgeous! Can be pretty steep in some parts, but not too bad.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Nice hike and great payoff if you go slightly off trail on the Dipsea to see the views of the ocean.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Decent trail. Would rate easy to moderate. Great views.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Great hike with a bit of a climb opening up to a beautiful view of the Bay Area.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Amazing foliage

Thursday, March 08, 2018

nice chill beautiful hike

Saturday, February 24, 2018

So we did this trail backwards which I think I preferred since I hate walking downhill. For all the downhill part of the hike we went uphill which seemed hard to some of my hiking companions. Very nice views and not a lot of hikers on the trail. Couldn't record the entire route; the app was killing my phone while tracking and battery was draining fast.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Loved the trail but there are a TON of stairs. I don’t know that I would call this moderate.. I brought friends and after the first mile up the steep stairs we all wanted to turn back. I wish I knew how to do this hike backwards..

Monday, February 19, 2018

Awesome trail! We started from Bootjack Campground and hiked TCC trail to Cardiac Hill. Amazing views from there!

Thursday, February 08, 2018

Great trail. Lots of trees to get cover from the sun. Lots of stairs to climb. Tall trees and a creek along the way