Bootjack Trail Loop

Bootjack Trail Loop is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

old growth

Admire the breathtaking Redwood (Sempervirens) Trees as you stroll through historic groves.

Amazing foliage

nice chill beautiful hike

So we did this trail backwards which I think I preferred since I hate walking downhill. For all the downhill part of the hike we went uphill which seemed hard to some of my hiking companions. Very nice views and not a lot of hikers on the trail. Couldn't record the entire route; the app was killing my phone while tracking and battery was draining fast.

Loved the trail but there are a TON of stairs. I don’t know that I would call this moderate.. I brought friends and after the first mile up the steep stairs we all wanted to turn back. I wish I knew how to do this hike backwards..

Awesome trail! We started from Bootjack Campground and hiked TCC trail to Cardiac Hill. Amazing views from there!

Great trail. Lots of trees to get cover from the sun.
Lots of stairs to climb.
Tall trees and a creek along the way

Not really a heavy trafficed trail. Plenty of shade, lots of great vista points to see.

Pretty good trail, for first half of the trail there’s a beautiful stream on your left clear and clean water!
The canopies on these trails and big trunk trees give you the feeling of Lilliputians in the land of giants :)

Not too many people, so if you want to do this solo ... you have complete privacy! But if you want to go with friends, absolutely fun uninhibited.

Absolutely loved the weather on feb 3rd, moderate and the sun was out. Couldn’t record the complete trail due to phone issues, but the round trip would take you about 3-4 hours with short 10min breaks every hour.

Love this hike! You’ll have beautiful views of the creek as you go alongside it for almost half the hike. Lots of great stopping points along the way if you wanna take a break for a lunch in the woods! Muir Woods now require reservations for parking or the shuttle, so plan accordingly.

loved it

Es un paseo bello e inolvidable. estar entre esos gigantes. se siente el aire puro. Lo recomiendo.

Beautiful! ❤️

muy útil, y gran ayuda. gracias.

great

Beautiful trail among the Redwood trees. One of the best hikes. Steep up on Bootjack trail, but worth every step. Go early on weekends as it gets crowded.
I did a quick extra back and forth at the junction of TTC and Ben Johnson near Dipsea trail to enjoy the view on the ocean, worth the extra 10min.

Long but great hike! Completed in 2.5 hours. Lots of shade, forest to look at.

Beautiful trees with easy to moderate inclines. Get there early to avoid throngs of people. I went there on free admission day, and it was still very enjoyable. Will be going back to try out other trails.

Really nice trail. A number of hills and slopes but easy to navigate.

Recommended!

Beautiful trail. Very easy to follow and navigate. Steep moderate is accurate as it is steep in some places. Seems to be either uphill or down throughout but plenty of gradual elevation gain, just not much flat terrain. I cannot express how beautiful it is in John Muir Woods. Enjoy!

Really nice short hike, so nice to be amoungst the redwoods and lots of streams, pools to pause at. Went on a week day so wasn't too busy at the bottom at all and only saw one person on the upper trails with me. Steep up Bootjack, so a nice workout, the rest is gentle. Really great as the leaves are turning. Easy to make longer and break the tree line at the top.

The forest was very nice, the redwoods are really impressive. Highly recommended. My Apple Watch told me we walked for 8.89 miles though. Not sure which one is right. Better get there before 8am if you go during the weekend. Parking is very limited. I cannot stress this enough.

Arrived Muir Woods parking lot at 7:30 and up Dipsea/Dirt Road to Pantoll then Alpine to Bootjack and back down....wonderful scenery and view at top...took approx 3.5 hrs...climb up is steady yet enjoyable...down bootjack is steep with stairs...Delightful

The best ever

This was our very first hike me and my wife found it interesting and is real challenging for us. Very good and beautiful trail. This gave us confidence on these next one in big basin.

Awesome trail and no crowds!

Great hike - out of and back into Muir Woods via the Bootjack, Alpine, Old Mine Road, Dipsea and Ben Johnson trails.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful hike.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Hiked the uphill portion of a loop first and then finished with the easier downhill portion. Enter Muir Woods and take the loop clockwise - Hillside Trail up and Bootjack back down. Go early and the trail is empty, go late and it's way too crowded. I started at 8:00 a.m.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Well kept trail. Nice and cool weather when we went. Make sure to bring water as there are no fountains on the trail and a map as always. Have fun!