Learn more

Bootjack Trail Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(299)
Muir Woods National Monument

Bootjack Trail Loop is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,158 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Admire the breathtaking Redwood (Sempervirens) Trees as you stroll through historic groves.

Came here Sunday 3/15. (It was closed later that day or the next due to the coronavirus so we were lucky to be able to visit.) We enjoyed this trail. It provided us a nice little workout with stunning surroundings. Even with a little rain it was still beautiful. Not crowded once you're out if the wood plank walkways closer to the visitor center. You must have reservations for parking - we saw them turn people away at the gate without them. Lovely place.

closed

parking lot currently closed due to coronavirus

Parking reservation required. Beautiful trail overall. Parked at the Muir Woods entrance and set off for the hike. Bathrooms and water at the beginning. I didn’t think the markings were that great and I’m not smart enough to figure out the loop portion, so I did this as an out and back. Hiked from the Muir Woods entrance following signs for the trail and got to an outdoor amphitheater. Turned around and just backtracked back to my car. 7.6 miles in all, beautiful scenery.

Very beautiful . Good worked out . Lost of shade, water falls, birds, flowers , giants rocks.

Really nice hike with lots of shade and mostly well maintained trail. I did it counter-clockwise and it had some more strenuous climbs but very doable. Didn’t see many people along the trail but as a solo hiker I felt totally safe. Really amazing sunlight coming through the trees if you get an early start! I recorded it at nearly 7 hours and it took me just under 3 hours

Beautiful trail! So lush, and we lucked out getting to see loads of mushrooms in all varieties, and unique species we’d never seen before! Will definitely be back!

Very beautiful water falls . Breath taking . Good worked out. Beautiful redwoods trees. Nice nice nice

A perfect day to hike! The trails were wet, some parts had some mud and many spots walking on rocks was very slippery so extreme caution was needed. We did slip a few times but caught ourselves before falling. I would suggest bringing hiking poles for this hike especially in the winter months and a good pair of hiking shoes. The waterfalls was in its full glory and flowing strongly down the mountain. Absolutely breathtaking and therapeutic in every sense. Not too many people early morning but when we returned to the parking lot, it was packed. The app states the hike is 6.7 miles but it turned out to be 8.3 miles, though we were happy it was longer. Last, I would suggest counterclockwise unless you want more elevation to your workout/hike. It was approximately 2.2 miles to the Muir Woods cafe clockwise and 6 .1 miles back up following Fern trail.

fee

Great trail. Some very steep slopes.

Foucka, Mystique, Chris and Heidi

Great trail for its scenery and mild intensity. Got to the park at 7am (parked on Muir Woods Rd and walked to entrance), then it took us about 3 hrs to complete the hike. Definitely recommend!

lovely! Including the walk from parking lot, we did just under 10 miles. Cathedral grove was closed so we came both ways on the hillside trail.

Natures xanex. Beautiful trail that wasn't crowded. A little elevation gain to get the heart pumping but totally doable.

awesome trail

Wonderful old growth redwood forest with tons of vertical gain!

Arrived around 9:30 am on a sunny day with a high of 70. Perfect trail for anyone who loves the woods. There will be a lot of elevation gain so be prepared for sore legs.

Such a beautiful trail! We hiked down from Bootjack, explored Muir Woods, and then hiked back out via Bootjack as well! Outside of Muir Woods we saw very few people! Total serenity! Highly recommend arriving early and getting down to Muir Woods before the crowds arrive! Nice cup of coffee from the Muir Woods Cafe with some homemade banana bread at the base of the redwoods made this trip a day to remember!

Sigh, didn't realize it was $15 entrance fee. Also didn't realize you had to make a reservation (wasn't this way 5 years ago). Anyways we actually found a parking spot that was .4 miles away from Muir woods entrance, so that worked out, didn't have to take a shuttle. Once you enter it's very pedestrian, and once you actually get to the real hike it's just the same trees with elevation gain that is not rewarding. I'ma be real I'ma a hiking snob, I hiked 8 miles and didn't really enjoy it. If you like forests the entire hike same exact scenery maybe this is for you.

August 25 hiking with a group of friends more then the app shows. Visited both pics East and West and all those views, nature and strong green where the most spectacular experience!

Awesome hike with well kept trails and California red woods aplenty.

Lots of trail splits so had to look at the map a lot (I’m an out of towner). Not crowded at all and trail was a nice combo of forrest and open areas. It was fun to go the the inn at the top.

July 4th hike, and got there at 7:40 to miss the crowds. We were the first ones on the trail, and went over two hours without seeing a soul. Lots and lots of people for the last mile though. The climb up Bootjack is difficult, with stairs that help a little bit. Other than that it’s pretty easy to moderate. Coastal redwoods are spectacular, and this is definitely a forest hike - almost no direct sun. Absolutely beautiful through and through. Strongly recommend.

Unable to comment on trail as i did not have parking reservations. Make them before you leave or be prepared to take a shuttle into the park.

The uphill part was a bit rough for me but overall a really nice hike. I love all the shade. Saw 2 banana slugs and a playful chipmunk. Lots of small waterfalls. Very peaceful.

We did Ben Johnson -> Bootjack -> TCC -> Stapelveldt. Total mileage clocked was 14.7km on my friend's fitbit. Beautiful redwoods and pine trees! :)

This was an amazing trail — loved the peaceful start in Muir Woods, then away from the crowds in a climb following a creek. Great restful meadow on top of the ridge at the midpoint. Beautiful views everywhere. Highly recommend- one of my all time favorites

Tue May 21 2019

Great trail, lots of stairs. Great workout. No Ewoks though...