Learn more

Boole Tree Loop Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dunlap, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 557 feet Route Type: Loop

I attempted to find the Boole tree by climbing the 1 mile... I turned back when another couple told me they never found it. It was late afternoon and I was solo hiking with very few others on the trail. I wish NPS would mark the actual tree on the App (I can’t view AllTrails without service ) The dirt road was mostly single lane. Once you get to stump meadow, the road gets pretty sandy - I was slipping quite a bit- though my Nissan Sentra probably wasn’t made for off-roading

I saw a couple in the parking lot that said I could easily get up to the Boole tree in 1mile. It was definitely overgrown in areas. And then I got to a point where I just kept walking in circles in the middle of the woods with overgrowth up to my knees. It definitely looked like trails that animals would use but not people. I was by myself and no other cars were in the lot when I started my hike, plus it was after 6:00 p.m. so I figured it safer just to turn back to the parking lot. I never found the Boole tree, but I feel like I really had to have been close. You think you would see a tree that size towering over everything though haha. oh well, I guess I'll have to try again next time. Just like others said I had not expected the off-road drive but had a small SUV rental so did just fine. There are nice wild flowers on the trail but much of the section I hiked was definitely overgrown. Saw some cool birds though, including a woodpecker. Good luck to whoever goes there next. The couple I talked to said they had just done it but I don't know if it was easier going from the other direction versus straight up to the tree. It might have been more obvious that way.

Hiked this July 27, 2019. The forest Service Rd. is closed from Highway 180 and the hike to Converse meadow is approximately 2 1/2 miles. There is a sign at the meadow explaining some of the local history of the login. Don’t be fooled though the trail head for the loop half a mile further up the forest Service Rd. There is a toilet that does not look like it is being serviced so make sure to bring your own toilet paper. The loop is 2 1/2 miles. However we hiked the 1 mile up to the Boole tree and back down. WOuld RECOMMEND PANTS. The trail has not been cut back in so walking up there are many shrubs that are prickly you can scratch your legs. There’s also some mosquitoes and flies so quick spray is helpful too. There isn’t too much shade on the road. If I could do it again again I would just hike to the meadow with the cut down trees.

Mon Jun 03 2019

I hiked this today and it was great! The road was closed so I hiked in from the 180. I didn't mind the extra miles to walk but the road definitely would have been drivable up until the last hill before the parking lot at the trail head, there was quite a large rut. The loop had excellent views of the King's River and the Spanish Mountains. The Boole Tree is awesome to see! I had the whole place to myself and it was a nice quiet walk to remember all the history of logging in this place, yet also quite sad seeing the graveyard of Sequoia's. I would definitely recommend this hike!

Sun Aug 05 2018

Completed trail right at sunset. Unbelievable! Boole is worth the hike. Road to trailhead can be rough and a standard vehicle may bottom out in some of the dips. Hike is a contact incline until you see the tree then all down hill. Great hike! Will do it again.

Fri Mar 23 2018

This is a great trail to hike with your K9 companion(s). Since this is National Forest land near Kings Canyon, you’ll find the scenery throughout the area to be breath taking. This is a Western US gem.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Someone please post a review of the drive in to this trail on the dirt access road. We were driving a non-4x4 small SUV rental and did not want to take a chance. I really wanted to do this trail, but the road looked tough because of the recent fires... Maybe a comment on the road conditions will help someone else give it a try.

ohv/off road driving
Sat Jul 22 2017

How was anyone able to reach this trailhead? Spent 45 minutes roaming treacherous backwoods roads and not finding any of the right turnoffs. Do not attempt this without an SUV or truck. Never even made it to the trail.

Fri Mar 03 2017

Did this hike with my wife and daughter who was only 15 months old back in 91'. Awesome sequoia tree for sure. No one else out there the day we went. Very away from the crowds. Pretty warm the day we hiked it too.

Mon Oct 03 2016

A great trail with an incredible view of the Boole tree!

Tue Sep 22 2015

Hiked this trail while on the Rough fire. The tree was protected by a sprinkler system attached to a folda-tank and pump.

Fri May 22 2015

The Boole Tree is a great place for a relaxing lunch away from the crowds that are regularly found around the other larger Trees associated with the park. Typical switchbacks up a minor incline to start the hike. Brought a friend along with me who was not prime shape and this was easily accessible. Not a long hike but this was a great spot for solitude and a peaceful meal all the while being shadowed by such and amazing tree.

Fri Oct 24 2014

We hiked this trail in our group of 14, including 6 kids, ages 9,7,6,5,3,2. The younger 3 were carried in backpacks. We did the trail counter clockwise, which goes 1 mile uphill to the amazing Boole Tree. It seems this was the steeper way to go. Along this trail you'll see tons of giant sequoia stumps from old logging days. Look closely because they look like big boulders from a distance. The tree is incredibly worth the hike. We had our lunch here. The rest of the hike gave us some spectacular views of Kings Canyon. We really enjoyed it but definitely moderately strenuous at times. With all the kids in tow it took us 4 hours of exploring.

Tue May 28 2013

Short, but still moderate hike, with an elevation gain in the beginning and a drop back to the parking lot. Boole Tree is the largest tree in all the national forests, at least one source says. Read more on my blog: http://annetteandmichelle.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/boole-tree-loop-sequoia-national-forest/

Sun Jul 29 2012

Amazing views. We saw bear tracks and a rattle snake plus of course the amazing Boole Tree. I enjoy this hike but the dirt road getting there is rough (we made it out and back just fine in our little rented Chevy Malibu). It is hilly and it gets pretty hot on sunny summer days.

Wed Jun 13 2012

it was a nice trail, you have to take a small side trail to find the larger tree. because I went up there just to hike this trail and nothing else it was hard to justify the gas time driving from fresno and the fee into the park (20.00) unless you have a pass. then its free. the other review is right the road is a bit rough going in but I got my old E class Mercedes in good times and quiet unlike Yosemite.

Sun Sep 18 2011

This was a nice trail up hill mostly would be a good trail for running. Although the road getting to it is not very smooth better to have a truck getting there.

recorded Boole Tree Loop Trail