Boo Hoff Trail

Boo Hoff Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I went counter clockwise on the trail. The beginning was busy and was in a wash so very soft, but as soon as I got into the mountains it was beautiful and great walking. The last part of the trail was all in a wash, and you could actually have parked much closer. I wanted distance, but given that the end of the trail was not very nice walking, I would do clockwise next time and drive in. I had my dog with me and he enjoyed it, but I should have put hiking booties on him, he's a very fit Jack Russell/Beagle Mix and he wore down his paw pads on the granite. The last few miles were hard on the poor guy because of this. As soon as you get passed all the people at the beginning it is quiet and I only saw a couple of mountain bikers and two small groups hiking. I had a picnic at the top and enjoyed some lovely quite and the views.

I started in the dark with a headlamp. Overall the trail is pretty easy to see and maneuver. Somehow I got lucky and my timing lined up with the sunrise as I reached the summit. The cholla cactus looked like they were waiting for the sun to rise. It was magical. I ran this trail and some aspects of the area beat me up a little...deep sand about 1/4 of the time, and I underestimated the last climb.

After about a mile and a half the trail is nice up to around mile 6, then it turns into a wash, dirt road, paved road, and flat trail next to a golf course.

Started the hike at 4am to beat the heat. The city lights looked amazing from the top. Thanks, Jon P!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Go up trail and veer right around the lower mountain. 6 miles. Not out and back. Out and around!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Seriously this trail is not for the novice! I'm a fit chick, runner and a hiker! It's an uphill trail overall! Awesome scenery. Should not be rated as easy!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Great- the boo hoff trail is 9 miles one way, but connects to the cove trail at the lake Cahuilla visitor lot... For another 4 miles to make a nice loop. It's easy to loose the trail, but there are people about... Bring lots of water!!!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

I wouldn't say it's easy- maybe moderate... Especially once you head into the mountains- I took it and connected with the cove to lake trail for a challenging 12 mile loop... Bring plenty of water!!!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Very beautiful. Fun hike. Cool canyons with ropes near the trailhead.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Some good elevation to get yer sweat on and incredibly quiet once you get back into the canyon and if you so desire it can be just a wash walk

Friday, September 11, 2015