Boo Hoff Trail

Boo Hoff Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Half of this trail was amazing. Great views and other worldly desert landscapes. But the other half sucked. Deep sand roadways and even paved roads. I recommend you start at the Cove, go 6 miles counter clockwise, then turn around and go back.

We did 1/2 today as we started late. Gorgeous hike.

Nice and easy hike. Should definitely hit the top before noon. Earlier is better because it gets hot really quick.

We entered the trail at the west side of the Cove. About 1hr 45 minutes up to the “lookout” (2200 feet) and then we decided to do the rest of it and come back out through The Quarry golf course, and back on the Lake to Cove trail.

The mountain portion of the hike is lovely but once you descend to the desert floor it’s extremely monotonous. Trudging down the road, the long way around the golf course and it was really hot in the Cove to Lake trail with all that sand. Luckily, even though it was extremely warm we had some cloud cover and breeze. Had to stop a lot because of the heat by the north end of the golf course. You can refill your water bladder once you hit Lake Cahuilla.

It was 20km (12.2 miles) and 6 hours to do the whole loop. Make sure you come equipped with hats, water (lots of water, nothing less than a full 3 litre bladder), lunch, snacks, sunscreen and something to cover your arms because it is hot at this time of year.

Took Boo trail to Lost Canyon. Is in Palm Springs trail book, page 92 I think. It is a pretty good climb and if you go into Lost Canyon you are faced with 150 foot descent down dry waterfall. It was doable for my wife and I but definitely out of comfort zone. Which is what I love!!!. From bottom you descend down Canyon and see a couple of other dry waterfalls. Have to go around, can't climb. Excellent hike, with descent, I would say moderate.

I went counter clockwise on the trail. The beginning was busy and was in a wash so very soft, but as soon as I got into the mountains it was beautiful and great walking. The last part of the trail was all in a wash, and you could actually have parked much closer. I wanted distance, but given that the end of the trail was not very nice walking, I would do clockwise next time and drive in. I had my dog with me and he enjoyed it, but I should have put hiking booties on him, he's a very fit Jack Russell/Beagle Mix and he wore down his paw pads on the granite. The last few miles were hard on the poor guy because of this. As soon as you get passed all the people at the beginning it is quiet and I only saw a couple of mountain bikers and two small groups hiking. I had a picnic at the top and enjoyed some lovely quite and the views.

I started in the dark with a headlamp. Overall the trail is pretty easy to see and maneuver. Somehow I got lucky and my timing lined up with the sunrise as I reached the summit. The cholla cactus looked like they were waiting for the sun to rise. It was magical. I ran this trail and some aspects of the area beat me up a little...deep sand about 1/4 of the time, and I underestimated the last climb.

After about a mile and a half the trail is nice up to around mile 6, then it turns into a wash, dirt road, paved road, and flat trail next to a golf course.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Started the hike at 4am to beat the heat. The city lights looked amazing from the top. Thanks, Jon P!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Go up trail and veer right around the lower mountain. 6 miles. Not out and back. Out and around!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Seriously this trail is not for the novice! I'm a fit chick, runner and a hiker! It's an uphill trail overall! Awesome scenery. Should not be rated as easy!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Great- the boo hoff trail is 9 miles one way, but connects to the cove trail at the lake Cahuilla visitor lot... For another 4 miles to make a nice loop. It's easy to loose the trail, but there are people about... Bring lots of water!!!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

I wouldn't say it's easy- maybe moderate... Especially once you head into the mountains- I took it and connected with the cove to lake trail for a challenging 12 mile loop... Bring plenty of water!!!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Very beautiful. Fun hike. Cool canyons with ropes near the trailhead.

Friday, October 23, 2015

Some good elevation to get yer sweat on and incredibly quiet once you get back into the canyon and if you so desire it can be just a wash walk

Friday, September 11, 2015