Boo Hoff Trail

Boo Hoff Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Quinta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,290 feet Route Type: Loop

Hiked on 9/18/2019. Used 3L of water. Little/no shade. HOT! Get an early start. When I finished 10:20am (started 6:20am), it was 104F. Didn't see another hiker on loop, just some newbies farting around in the parking lot on mountain bikes. I parked off Potrero, which tacked about a mile on the total.

1st 5 k is sandy to hard picked mostly uphill to steep uphill. Next 5k is runnable downhill but single track trail with cactus and succulent close to trail. So be careful. Next 5k is scrapple to sandy with downhill and sharp turns over cliffs. Again careful. After that is it rolling hills and mostly downhill. A total of a bit short of 20k and it works well. But it is hot and the trails are well groomed and packed sand to sandy. Just a few areas of rocky road and a good trail.

recorded Boo Hoff Trail

Today was perfect weather for hiking. But the hike after you’ve reached the highest point and along the top, is disappointing. Sandy vehicular track followed by tracking a metalled road to Lake Cahuilla was no fun - very easy and a bit boring after the joys of the trail summit. Next time I will hike for 10k from the Cove and then turn back - a much better 20k outing!

Beautiful trail for the most part, good areas for trail running. Decent challenge and a lovely way to spend the day.

Love this hike - you definitely get to move up hug the mountain and go down into pillowy desert flora Brought a couple pairs of socks to change into And bring your sticks - nice little four wheel drive on foot

from parking lot it is about 5 km to sign that denotes "wilderness". you have climbed about 425 metres, too. fabulous views and not much traffic.

Perfect weather when I did this trail on my own. We were camping so I started on the Cove to Lake trail from the lake. Majestic views. I climbed a little higher than the trail at the top and wish there were an actual trail option for this. Saw no one on the way down and feel that it could be better marked at the end when you enter the wash to come back out at the golf community. It took me 6 hours with stops along the way and I drank most of my 2 litter bladder even though temperatures were cool at the top. Great loop hike.

Trail in great condition considering the amount of rain we have had Lots of up and up and up was fantastic great views A few cactus have started to bloom need some heat to get them to full bloom

recorded Boo Hoff Trail

Almost made it to the top ! Long walk out and back.

My bother and I did the hike, it is a very long and tough hike but an experience I’ll never forget and happy I accomplished it

I loved this hike, walking it Christmas Eve day. I hiked it clockwise but feel the trail would be easier to follow counter clockwise. I started on the Lake Cahuilla end and returned on the Cove to Lake trail.

Quite strenuous climb up the mountain. great views of Coachella valley

Sunday, July 01, 2018

It’s pretty but verrrrry vacant. Bring water. And a buddy. And some sort of protection just in case you run into a hungry wild animal or crazy person.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Beautiful and scenic trail. I have hiked this trail and ridden out and back from the cove side on my mountain bike many times. Great views from the top, a reward for the hard work!

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Half of this trail was amazing. Great views and other worldly desert landscapes. But the other half sucked. Deep sand roadways and even paved roads. I recommend you start at the Cove, go 6 miles counter clockwise, then turn around and go back.

Monday, May 14, 2018

We did 1/2 today as we started late. Gorgeous hike.

Monday, April 09, 2018

Nice and easy hike. Should definitely hit the top before noon. Earlier is better because it gets hot really quick.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

We entered the trail at the west side of the Cove. About 1hr 45 minutes up to the “lookout” (2200 feet) and then we decided to do the rest of it and come back out through The Quarry golf course, and back on the Lake to Cove trail. The mountain portion of the hike is lovely but once you descend to the desert floor it’s extremely monotonous. Trudging down the road, the long way around the golf course and it was really hot in the Cove to Lake trail with all that sand. Luckily, even though it was extremely warm we had some cloud cover and breeze. Had to stop a lot because of the heat by the north end of the golf course. You can refill your water bladder once you hit Lake Cahuilla. It was 20km (12.2 miles) and 6 hours to do the whole loop. Make sure you come equipped with hats, water (lots of water, nothing less than a full 3 litre bladder), lunch, snacks, sunscreen and something to cover your arms because it is hot at this time of year.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Took Boo trail to Lost Canyon. Is in Palm Springs trail book, page 92 I think. It is a pretty good climb and if you go into Lost Canyon you are faced with 150 foot descent down dry waterfall. It was doable for my wife and I but definitely out of comfort zone. Which is what I love!!!. From bottom you descend down Canyon and see a couple of other dry waterfalls. Have to go around, can't climb. Excellent hike, with descent, I would say moderate.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

I went counter clockwise on the trail. The beginning was busy and was in a wash so very soft, but as soon as I got into the mountains it was beautiful and great walking. The last part of the trail was all in a wash, and you could actually have parked much closer. I wanted distance, but given that the end of the trail was not very nice walking, I would do clockwise next time and drive in. I had my dog with me and he enjoyed it, but I should have put hiking booties on him, he's a very fit Jack Russell/Beagle Mix and he wore down his paw pads on the granite. The last few miles were hard on the poor guy because of this. As soon as you get passed all the people at the beginning it is quiet and I only saw a couple of mountain bikers and two small groups hiking. I had a picnic at the top and enjoyed some lovely quite and the views.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

I started in the dark with a headlamp. Overall the trail is pretty easy to see and maneuver. Somehow I got lucky and my timing lined up with the sunrise as I reached the summit. The cholla cactus looked like they were waiting for the sun to rise. It was magical. I ran this trail and some aspects of the area beat me up a little...deep sand about 1/4 of the time, and I underestimated the last climb.

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

After about a mile and a half the trail is nice up to around mile 6, then it turns into a wash, dirt road, paved road, and flat trail next to a golf course.

Monday, July 03, 2017