Bonita Falls Trail

Bonita Falls Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Bernardino, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 334 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Remember to stop at the Ranger Station or AMPM for your daily parking pass - $5.

Easy hike with my 3 kids. Bring water and wear comfortable walking shoes. Watch out for broken glass under the waterfall in the pool.

great trail up to a beautiful waterfall

first time coming up this way i really had no idea where to go, so i pretty much just crossed the first stream then head south to towards the mountain. there’s almost no shade to begin with and as well the area is heavily tagged. so if that’s something you’re not a fan of keep that in mind. as always my hikes are for my pup so we walked around till we found some spray painted arrows and followed em through the trees and up. we got really excited when we reached a smaller waterfall maybe halfway up hung out there and as we were about to leave saw a group coming from even further up. we headed further up and finally found the actual waterfall and it was pretty cool. a lot better than the first mini one. either way this was a pretty solid hike, left my pup tired and sleepy afterwards.

It’s a beautiful hike the waterfall is amazing but kinda of hard to find it

I didn’t know where I was going the first time I did this hike.. my roommate told me he just went into the rocks and saw some other people walking and kinda followed them.. I did the same. There’s a river with plenty of crossings to take.. after that it’s all rocks. It is a wash after all. I just kept walking onwards and soon noticed another small creek.. follow that up, you’ll start to see a lot of trees and greenery on the mountainside to your left.. and that’s where the Falls are.. it’s a slight hike up the mountain, maybe 10-15 minutes and you’re there! Beautiful Falls, super tall! Lots of mist!

Short walk to the falls, rugged terrain but easy to get through. the climb to the falls is short. the place is tagged up from start to finish of the trail. pretty cool caves to explore by the waterfall. fairly crowded for a small pool of water beneath the fall. generally a cool place to get away and explore in a short trip.

Took my 8 & 9 year old with me, they loved it as well. The begging is very rocky, be careful a lot of lose rocks.... the trail may be a little hard to find if you have no idea where to start, there’s a rock at the entrance of the trail where someone took the time to tag on it with “Waterfall this way” :) helped us finding it since it was my first time in 4 years since going back!

My first hike and it was great. Follow the rock and mountain. Beautiful creek and waterfall. Adventure pass can be purchased at the gasoline station prior to entering the national forest sign.

You are literally walking on rocks the whole way to the entrance of the waterfall. It was a little tiring but overall a good hike and beautiful waterfall. Luckily I didn’t take my 5 year old because I think it would’ve been difficult for him.

I love walking across logs to get across the creek! Most of the trail is very rocky. This was the third time I've done this trail. Closer to the falls there are some big branches above and below. The creek going up to the falls was quite dry, but it is the beginning of June.

This is a good little hike for kids. It’s quite rocky going through the wash for the first 3/4’s, stick to the left canyon wall for an easier time finding the trail. The water fall is great, 4-5 different levels, some giant rocks to just sit and relax, have a snack on. Only saw 4 other people out on a Tuesday morning. Unfortunately there is a lot of graffiti and garbage from all the little scum bags that go here, but otherwise a nice hike. Definitely get an adventure pass, they patrol the parking areas frequently. Good hiking.

rocky but easy to walk in. last part of the trail gets somewhat hard. amazing water fall worth the hike

Not too bad of a trail. Lots of rocks when you’re going through the wash, definitely wear good shoes. Got lost for a good 30 minutes trying to find the trail head but wasn’t too bad. Keep to the left of wash and you’ll have an easier time then we did. The falls are definitely beautiful with 3 caves that are small and a nice place to rest. Shame about all the graffiti and trash though. If you want to avoid crowds go early on the weekends. We got to the falls about 8:30am and were the only ones around.

Watch your ankles, getting to the trail is very rocky! Beautiful waterfall at the top and extremely busy. Very kid and dog friendly. You’ll reach the trail head after about one mile of rocks, then you’ll reach some shade. We forgot to get a day pass and we’re issued a violation. The fine is also $5 and can be paid online.

Walking through the river bed is a B$?;#%, but the waterfall is spectacular. It’s begging than what the picture portrays. However I’m disappointed with the excessive graffiti. I also see a lot of random trash from people who visit the river for the day. I would still recommend to complete to see the waterfall.

Nice hike! Fairly easy trail my 9 year old was able to complete it with no issues. Extremely rocky.. make sure to wear good shoes and pack lunch/water/snacks. I would recommend getting there early if going on a weekend due to crowds. You will also need an adventure pass. Which you can pick up at the near by gas station for $5. Only downside to this hike is all the graffiti and trash left behind.

My baby loves that place, she likes to sit in the water and play with rocks and water.

Loved it !!!! Parking was easy , must buy parking permit either at the gas station , the office or this small cute lil market/restaurant up the drive . The waterfall is beautiful . If your a first timer just cross the first river then head towards all the rocks stay on the left side and you will eventually see the entrance on the left side . From there just follow the trail . Super easy you won’t get lost .

trash and graffiti everywhere! easy hike . worth doing once for the waterfall. very crowded!

Really nice hike. I took my two little ones 6 and 8yrs old. They did very well but all the river rock you hike through to get up to the falls is easy to lose your footing on so it was kind of challenging. Broken glass beer bottles everywhere too so you definitely dont want to fall.I would not recommend going on the weekend either. We went on Saturday and it was very crowded with people. Overall it was a great hike and we had a lot of fun. A team of volunteers cleaned up the falls area, and painted over as much as they could of the graffiti which was nice.

Such beautiful falls! As easy hike to get to the waterfall, a lot of fun if you like jumping around on rocks! At first, I didn’t realize you had to walk through the dried up creek and back into the canyon. Once at the first fall, we tried finding the second & third waterfalls but after reaching the second cave, there was no distinct path at all and we were never able to find the 3rd or 4th cave :( Any tips? Only downside, all the graffiti & trash. I hate people.

My favorite hike ! Most people that come to Bonita Falls only see the one waterfall. But ! there are a total of 3 big water falls ! 1st theres Bonita Falls and the 2nd waterfall ( just as big ) is a hard climb above Bonita falls ( children not recommended ! ) and the 3rd waterfall ( a bigger waterfall ) is short hike just past where you head up to Bonita Falls. It too is on the same side of the canyon as Bonita Falls but a little further back. And then theres the 4 small caves. The 1st 3 are next to Bonita Falls. As soon as you see Bonita Falls, look to your left, theres a short path/easy climb up the bank about 20 feet to the 3 caves. the 4th cave is back where you find the 3rd waterfall. I hike Bonita Falls up to 4 times a week, if you see me up there, give me a shout ! Oh, and keep your eyes out for the herd of Big Horn Sheep, they will come down to drink water and if you be nice and calm they will come within 20 feet of you while they drink. PLEASE DONT TRY TO TOUCH THEM ! If we leave them alone while they drink, then they wont be spooked and more people can enjoy seeing a very wild and free animal. P.S. No real trails going to Bonita Falls but if you hike on the right side of the creek going up ( most of the season its dry ) there are more flatter areas to hike and not as rocky.

bridge out