Bonita Falls Trail

Bonita Falls Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lytle Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Remember to stop at the Ranger Station or AMPM for your daily parking pass- $5.

1) first part of the hike you have to cross a creek. You will get wet. *there is a bridge that is on "private property" that we used so we wouldn't get wet
2) 1/2 of the hike is very very rocky! Wear good shoes.
3) graffiti is everywhere though I don't mind seeing the art
4) must purchase a parking pass from the Ranger station for $5 (or AMPM from other reviews)
5) very windy today and there were some rocks that fell from the mountain so don't walk too close (in the rocky area)
6) over all this was a great hike with a beautiful waterfall at the end. There were enough people around to ask "which way to the waterfall?"

Easy to miss! Keep left! Don't go right! Spent most my time going up the stream on the right and ended up too far from where it was. If you spent more than 20 mins to get there then you probably went the wrong way. Look for a sign covered with graffiti. And yes, there is only one parking space and you need the day pass from the ranger station.

Love this place

Lovely set of waterfalls nestled in the mountains behind Lytle Creek. Trail is relatively short and easy to locate. There are a few water crossings to find the trail itself, so be prepared for wet shoes. :) Follow the path up for a ways to a nice waterfall and small pool. Be warned that there is a lot of litter and graffiti here. Rocks all along the route have been tagged mercilessly and beer cans are scattered everywhere. Only downfall to this hike however.

Its a fairly easy hike, even for a beginner. The waterfall, though small, was really nice! There is so much graffiti everywhere though, it kind of takes away from the waterfall.

The hike is nice, feels quick and easy. The waterfall is small but still nice. There is graffiti ALL OVER the place it’s actually disappointing to see ☹️

We love the water fall but to much tagging I will be nice if someone can do something about it

We hiked this trail today and were excited to do so since we only live a few minutes away. But it wasn’t what we expected. Because we live in such a dry climate, I think we are easily impressed by waterfalls, but when you consider ALL the rocks you must walk on and all the disappointing graffiti EVERYWHERE, it is a waterfall I can live without seeing again. Also, there really is no obvious trail. You can follow the dry creek bed, but if there weren’t people around, I am not sure we would have found it. The trail that lead to the fall didn’t appear convincing. And even though we were told “you’ll see a sign,” that sign itself is COVERED in graffiti. Who knows what it actually says. If you do go, watch your ankles rolling on rocks and mind the weather. It is shaded and very chilly once you get closer to the fall, but other than that there is no protection from the sun. And be aware of rattlesnakes. It may be too cool for them most times now, but those rocks are perfect housing for them.

Loved this hike. It's not bad of a hike at all. The worst part is walking over the rocks on dried up riverbed. But people were bringing their little kids and dogs. The waterfall is beautiful. I just wish there was less graffiti and trash. I plan on coming back with my dogs!

so beautiful, a must go back in the summer to enjoy the water

I wish there was more honest people on here about this one or maybe it’s because they haven’t been to other places. The waterfall is nice if you can ignore all the graffiti and garbage people leave behind.

So pretty up there perfect for kids a bit of rocky start but great lil hike just wish people had more respect for nature picked up their trash and didn't graffiti all the beautiful rocks. We took a trash bag with us and picked up trash along the way.

Super easy hike, with a beautiful destination point. The beginning of the hike is mostly rock, and some found it difficult to find the actual trail, but if you keep left through the rocks, you’ll get to the trail opening on the mountain side. The waterfall is beautiful, with a decent water collection at the base. Dog friendly hike, pretty trafficked on a weekend. There is a bit of graffiti throughout, and some trash, but worth the end point.

very nice hike to take the family on I took my kids and my 5 y/o was leading the way. Fyi you do have to cross Lytle creek so be prepared to get wet. Falls are very hidden and there are no signs leading you to the trail, I asked some hikers coming down and directed me on where to go. Make sure to bring cash for the day pass I didn't so I had to go a little further up to the market and get one. There are restrooms at the ranger station and at the trail head there are some tables to eat.

very short and easy hike but a very great place to go to In the summer

Beautiful waterfall and fun short hike, unfortunately lots of trash and graffiti, will bring a trash bag when I go back

Easy little hike through a dried river bed, and then up a short trail to the fall.

OK, I've been on alot of trails & I'm going to be completely honest here. Bonita Falls trail would be a beautiful trail & atmosphere to hike in, if it wasn't for all the (I won't say the name I want to call them) that think it's cute to graffiti on just about every rock you can see, it's disgusting!!! The trail is on a river bed, so it is all rocks, but not a hard hike at all other than it being rocky. There are several hideouts along the trail, once you get up to the mountain part, that are awesome to take some water or snack breaks at. The waterfall is beautiful & pretty big actually for this spot, just have to cut the graffiti out of your pictures. Also if you care about seeing trash, bring a trash bag, we filled a whole one up & wished we had more, several beer cans, bottles & alot of plastic bottles on the trails. I wish people would love to leave this place beautiful like it is intended to be. Overall I'd give it a 3.5, only due to others people's disrespectfulness.

First time here. The creek alone was an adventure because we were avoiding to get wet. In the end we didn’t care and walked through it (we dried out fast). You will encounter a lot of loose rocks on the way there. The falls is beautiful and I️ will definitely recommend.