Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,670 feet Route Type: Out & Back

make sure you start from from the bottom otherwise the return would be tough. no shade whatsoever so take plenty of water.

A nice, moderately tough hike. Lots of beautiful wildflowers and hills. We only passed 2 hikers to and from the little monument on the trail. Good amounts of time in the shade, but also decent chunks in the sun. A decent amount of the trail has overgrown plants and weeds covering the path, resulting in me almost stepping on a snake at one point. Hopefully they trim that soon so that people can see where they're stepping. Because of this, I would also highly recommend wearing pants. I would also recommend having the All Trails recording feature on so that you can keep track of where you're going. It helped us at several forks which didn't have signs. Saw a couple dozen lizards, several butterflies, a few ground squirrels, and a couple cotton tail rabbits. Overall, tough, but good hike.

Still a good amount of flowers in bloom. One small section of poppies if you can find it. Two snakes 80+ lizards and a good amount of monarchs. Flies start about half way up.

The flowers are mostly gone, which makes it easier to see the path and snakes. Great, tough hike. I love this route.

Definitely one of the hardest hikes I’ve ever done. End of the trail is definitely the hardest just because it’s so steep going up the rest. The peak is so damn worth it. The view is breathtaking. Would definitely do it again but I don’t have to so I won’t

Everyone’s opinion is valid regarding this trail. The latter part is mostly unmaintained and often exposed to the sun. I do not recommend this trail to ordinary hikers. This is for adventurers and mountaineers like myself or even someone who wants a damn good workout. The trail terminated at the north peak of Tri Peaks, which is one of the 4 main peaks of Boney Mountain. The ascent is very satisfying, and even if it’s hot out (though I recommend this for cooler days or morning treks), you do get an ocean breeze at the peak and such an amazing 360 view. From the top, you also have access to the trails that take you to the other peaks. Bring lots of water and a good amount of snacks. Don’t forget your hat and some sunscreen if your sensitive.

Hopped on this trail from the fossil Trail via big Sycamore Canyon. Fossil was a hell of a climb and then about a mile in to the Boney trail we heard that rattle....... bypassed death, and onward with our hike!!! It was awesome but a little overgrown and after that rattler the overgrown spots freaked me the $&@“ out!!!! Overall can’t wait to do it again but next time it will be Boney proper because I want to get to the top!!!!!

Amazing trail if you’re up for a real challenge! Enjoy it and get out there early or you’ll end up like my girlfriend and me back to the parking lot at 9:15pm! We started at 2:38 in the afternoon, I know, shocking, but our bags were heavy and it was 85 out here!!!! Anyway enjoy the amazing views and all out great hike :)

scenic driving

So beautiful. Pull off to the side of the road and took this picture. Potrero Road. Gorgeous green!

Always a good workout. The hike can be extended (past Tripeaks along the ridge) to hook up with the Backbone Trail (Chamberlain Trail) to descend on the northern side. Make a right onto Old Boney trail, the entire loop is approximately 20 miles with over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. Bring plenty of water.

Always a great trail. Haven't been up in a couple of months and was wondering if the trail was reopened yet? I know the fire hit that area, anyone have any idea?

Thursday, September 06, 2018

This was a fun hike. I left at 320ish in the morning and made it to the peak right before sunrise for some awesome views. If you go at night make sure you're comfortable with walking through spider webs, because it's pretty much spider webs all the way up. I had to wave a stick a stick in front of me the entire time.

Monday, August 20, 2018

Very challenging hike on the accent for the top 2 miles. Trail is straight up, washed out and deeply scarred. Much of the trail is covered by tall growth. Watch for poison oak in the waterfall areas. Some cool land marks to see though.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Challenging but amazing view of ocean and many towns from top!

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Strenuous hike for sure . 4.5 miles uphill towards the top and then 4.5 down steep path. Past Danielson Monument it gets a little rugged, loose rocks and narrow path/trenches . Make sure to leave very early and bring lots of water as it is an unshaded hike for the most part. Also lots of branches as the trail is not maintained so be prepared for some scratches. Hardest hike I’ve done but worth it for the view.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Like others said, it's a challenging hike. Most of the trail is exposed, with the exception of a small piece when you pass the Danielson monument and before the manzanitas. I did this on a hot sunny day, so I would recommend it on a cool overcast day or in dry winter times, although it was chilly at the peak. The trail is also not that well maintained, but it's worth it with the view at the top.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

This hike is NOT moderate! It was very challenging but worth the satisfaction of reaching the Peak. The views are stunning. It gets chilly once you reach the top so dress in layers, bring plenty of water, snacks, hiking sticks, and your mental fortitude. I would need to train a lot more before attempting this hike again.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

More difficult than moderate, I would say, but a lot of fun if you're up for steep climbs and rugged trail. Bring extra water, and go in winter or spring if possible (due to heat). Start early. My brother and I are experienced hikers, we hiked this with no prior knowledge of it and were pleasantly exhausted and sore at the end of the day. We got some great photos at the top. It has become one of our favorite hikes together.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Day after heavy rains but still hikeable. Definitely needed trekking poles for the slick muddy areas. There’s no signs stating “Boney Mtn ➡️ this way” Parts of the path was overgrown and single track but still obvious where the direction of the trail. It’s between moderate and difficult, I think. The views are worth it!

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Great

Monday, January 08, 2018

Challenging hike. More strenuous then moderate.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Fun hike. The last 1/2 mile was too rocky for me to complete.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Challenging and beautiful view

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Challenging hike for sure, starts off easy enough with a gradual ascent and descent and there is a detour to a waterfall. After the Danielson monument the terrain gets steep at times but there are sections with ruts, loose rocks and overhanging debris. Bring plenty of water, a long sleeve shirt and pants, and also a sweater because near the top it can get a little chilly. If not for the ruts I would have given this 5 stars.

Friday, September 08, 2017

The trail is very rutted due to the wet 2016/2017 winter. It's a quad buster on the climb and knee banger on the descent. For the usually tame Santa Monicas, it provides a very respectable challenge.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Easy trail up to Danielson Ranch, but after that you should be prepared to scramble. The portion above the Ranch is not for novices attempting their first long hike. Bring at least 2 liters of water, you'll need it. Be advised that the trail above Danielson Ranch is deeply rutted in parts, and apparently not maintained. Bring your poles - you'll need them for the return to avoid falls. Having said all that, if you are an experienced hiker, it's an excellent hike because of the challenging climbs -- you'll get a great workout.