Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Easy to moderate walk until the last mile at the top just past the monument. Then the trail turns to hard. Very rutted and narrow with lose gravel/rocks.

My wife left a white sweater within that last mile at the top. If anyone finds it please bring it with them and call 913-236-6562. We will pay for postage to ship plus $25 reward.

Thanks, Mike

Great trail for the length and elevation gain. The views once you get close to the top are really great - interesting rock formations and (when it's clear) a stretching ocean. For a couple miles the trail gets very narrow and passes through tough shrubbery that will make it nice to have pants and long sleeves on. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about making this a loop (via the connector trail to Old Boney) prepare for some serious scrambling. Going up counter-clockwise (taking old boney instead of the tri peak trial at the 2 mile mark) will be better, but I took this hike to its end and then instead of turning around continued onto the 1 mile section that connects to old boney - and it was hell coming down that. Very steep, incredibly loose and the trail on All Trails is more of a guideline as there is really no established hiking path. The are sections of that part that I would easily classify as a 3 - pushing on to 4 - using the YDS. If I had known that in advance I would have set my expectations appropriately, but I brought my dog and at the worst parts it was already too late to turn around. Some friendly hikers also doing the loop - and equally caught off guard by the steepness and condition of the trail - had to help me carry her down in the worst spots. Basically, the out-and-back is a great hike with terrific views. If you decide to hike the connecting "trail" to old boney just know that no matter which direction you're hiking in you're in for a steep, loose and unestablished trail that is somewhat dangerous in a few sections.

Great canyon view as well as a nice waterfall. Definitely a calm get away.

Couple of friends and I tackled this hike last weekend. We got to the trail at almost 10am and thankfully we weren't any later because this hike took a lot longer than we expected it to. We parked and headed up the paved road towards the Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center. If you stay on the paved road and go to the right, like we did, you will end up on the "Old Boney Mt trail" which is just a short loop that took us a bit longer route. You'll already be walking far enough if you plan to go to the peak, so I would suggest you stay to the left, cross over the cute little bridge near the culture center and take the feeder trail through the grassy field. About half of the hike is fire roads with gradual elevation gain an loss, nothing too difficult. There is a detour that will take you too a waterfall, which was very nice when we went! Once you get past the monument the trail is pretty difficult, the trail is not maintained and it is more like a climb up a very narrow trail for a few miles, which, thanks to all of the rain lately, is very washed out in some parts. This trail is definitely an ankle-breaker. Hiking boots and poles are a great idea. I would go on a clear day, the views were great but it would've been better on a clear day. We heard a couple say that on a clear day you could even see Mt. Baldy from the top. took us a little less than 4 hours to get to the peak, and 2 hours to get down. At the peak there was a native american gentleman playing a flute, we sat with him feeling the surreal, nostalgic yearning for the people who once lived on these lands. I will definitely visit the culture center next time.

Hike became a last minute idea or ours and did not start until 3pm. Nice lady on the trail did not recommend completing it since it would be dark if we made it to the summit. We made it to Danielson Monument at 5pm and decided to turn back. We had plenty of water with us but did not have warm clothes. Great trail with incredible views. We will be back in the following weeks to complete it, this time we will get an early start.
Oh yeah, just before we got to the trailhead we saw a group who was walking on the trail blindfolded using only their senses. Turned out they were part of the new berry park martial arts center and putting their skills to the test. Great group of individuals.