Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Always a good workout. This particular section of Boney Mtn was never officially closed... it is not maintained by the State or Federal agencies. The summit has serious burns on the Chamberlain side. Likewise, Sandstone was badly burned. Conejo Peak is also open.

Always a great trail. Haven't been up in a couple of months and was wondering if the trail was reopened yet? I know the fire hit that area, anyone have any idea?

This was a fun hike. I left at 320ish in the morning and made it to the peak right before sunrise for some awesome views. If you go at night make sure you're comfortable with walking through spider webs, because it's pretty much spider webs all the way up. I had to wave a stick a stick in front of me the entire time.

Very challenging hike on the accent for the top 2 miles. Trail is straight up, washed out and deeply scarred.
Much of the trail is covered by tall growth. Watch for poison oak in the waterfall areas. Some cool land marks to see though.

Challenging but amazing view of ocean and many towns from top!

Strenuous hike for sure . 4.5 miles uphill towards the top and then 4.5 down steep path. Past Danielson Monument it gets a little rugged, loose rocks and narrow path/trenches . Make sure to leave very early and bring lots of water as it is an unshaded hike for the most part. Also lots of branches as the trail is not maintained so be prepared for some scratches. Hardest hike I’ve done but worth it for the view.

Like others said, it's a challenging hike. Most of the trail is exposed, with the exception of a small piece when you pass the Danielson monument and before the manzanitas. I did this on a hot sunny day, so I would recommend it on a cool overcast day or in dry winter times, although it was chilly at the peak. The trail is also not that well maintained, but it's worth it with the view at the top.

This hike is NOT moderate! It was very challenging but worth the satisfaction of reaching the Peak. The views are stunning. It gets chilly once you reach the top so dress in layers, bring plenty of water, snacks, hiking sticks, and your mental fortitude. I would need to train a lot more before attempting this hike again.

More difficult than moderate, I would say, but a lot of fun if you're up for steep climbs and rugged trail. Bring extra water, and go in winter or spring if possible (due to heat). Start early. My brother and I are experienced hikers, we hiked this with no prior knowledge of it and were pleasantly exhausted and sore at the end of the day. We got some great photos at the top. It has become one of our favorite hikes together.

Day after heavy rains but still hikeable. Definitely needed trekking poles for the slick muddy areas.
There’s no signs stating “Boney Mtn ➡️ this way”
Parts of the path was overgrown and single track but still obvious where the direction of the trail.
It’s between moderate and difficult, I think.
The views are worth it!

Great

Monday, January 08, 2018

Challenging hike. More strenuous then moderate.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Fun hike. The last 1/2 mile was too rocky for me to complete.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Challenging and beautiful view

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Challenging hike for sure, starts off easy enough with a gradual ascent and descent and there is a detour to a waterfall. After the Danielson monument the terrain gets steep at times but there are sections with ruts, loose rocks and overhanging debris. Bring plenty of water, a long sleeve shirt and pants, and also a sweater because near the top it can get a little chilly. If not for the ruts I would have given this 5 stars.

Friday, September 08, 2017

The trail is very rutted due to the wet 2016/2017 winter. It's a quad buster on the climb and knee banger on the descent. For the usually tame Santa Monicas, it provides a very respectable challenge.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Easy trail up to Danielson Ranch, but after that you should be prepared to scramble. The portion above the Ranch is not for novices attempting their first long hike. Bring at least 2 liters of water, you'll need it. Be advised that the trail above Danielson Ranch is deeply rutted in parts, and apparently not maintained. Bring your poles - you'll need them for the return to avoid falls.

Having said all that, if you are an experienced hiker, it's an excellent hike because of the challenging climbs -- you'll get a great workout.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

It's scenic, but it's about being difficult more than it's about sight-seeing. Only for people with solid mental fortitude and a touch of sadism. Bring more water than you think you need and lots of sunscreen. Personally, I loved this hike. I usually keep a fast clip and rarely take breaks on the trail - Boney humbled me a tiny bit.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Would definitely recommend long pants for this hike. Areas of the trail are overgrown and shorts will give you rashes if you're allergic to wild grass. Bring plenty of water/snacks and start early, it gets hot on the Newbury Park side of the trail. Once you're on top of the mountain you can feel the cooling ocean breeze. Would have given it 5 stars if there was less overgrowth.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great trail for the length and elevation gain. The views once you get close to the top are really great - interesting rock formations and (when it's clear) a stretching ocean. For a couple miles the trail gets very narrow and passes through tough shrubbery that will make it nice to have pants and long sleeves on. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about making this a loop (via the connector trail to Old Boney) prepare for some serious scrambling. Going up counter-clockwise (taking old boney instead of the tri peak trial at the 2 mile mark) will be better, but I took this hike to its end and then instead of turning around continued onto the 1 mile section that connects to old boney - and it was hell coming down that. Very steep, incredibly loose and the trail on All Trails is more of a guideline as there is really no established hiking path. The are sections of that part that I would easily classify as a 3 - pushing on to 4 - using the YDS. If I had known that in advance I would have set my expectations appropriately, but I brought my dog and at the worst parts it was already too late to turn around. Some friendly hikers also doing the loop - and equally caught off guard by the steepness and condition of the trail - had to help me carry her down in the worst spots. Basically, the out-and-back is a great hike with terrific views. If you decide to hike the connecting "trail" to old boney just know that no matter which direction you're hiking in you're in for a steep, loose and unestablished trail that is somewhat dangerous in a few sections.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Great canyon view as well as a nice waterfall. Definitely a calm get away.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Couple of friends and I tackled this hike last weekend. We got to the trail at almost 10am and thankfully we weren't any later because this hike took a lot longer than we expected it to. We parked and headed up the paved road towards the Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center. If you stay on the paved road and go to the right, like we did, you will end up on the "Old Boney Mt trail" which is just a short loop that took us a bit longer route. You'll already be walking far enough if you plan to go to the peak, so I would suggest you stay to the left, cross over the cute little bridge near the culture center and take the feeder trail through the grassy field. The first half of the hike is easy fire roads. There is a detour that will take you too a waterfall, which was very nice when we went! Once you get past the monument the trail is pretty difficult, the trail is not maintained and it is more like a climb up a very narrow trail for a few miles, which, thanks to all of the rain lately, is very washed out in some parts. This trail is definitely an ankle-breaker. Hiking boots and poles are a great idea. I will do this one again on a clear day, the views were great but the peak was misty/ cloudy. We heard a couple say that on a clear day you could even see Baldy from the top. This hike took us about 4 hours to get to the peak, and 2 hours to get down. At the peak there was a native american gentleman playing a flute, we sat with him feeling the surreal, nostalgic yearning for the people who once lived on these lands. I will definitely visit the culture center next time.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Hike became a last minute idea or ours and did not start until 3pm. Nice lady on the trail did not recommend completing it since it would be dark if we made it to the summit. We made it to Danielson Monument at 5pm and decided to turn back. We had plenty of water with us but did not have warm clothes. Great trail with incredible views. We will be back in the following weeks to complete it, this time we will get an early start.
Oh yeah, just before we got to the trailhead we saw a group who was walking on the trail blindfolded using only their senses. Turned out they were part of the new berry park martial arts center and putting their skills to the test. Great group of individuals.

Friday, December 09, 2016

Good, challenging day hike through chaparral. Somewhat marred by views of urban development and area will need time to recover from recent fires.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Its long. Take ur phone and make sure you stay on the right trail. There are plenty of turns and forks. It was rough. But a good hike. Took my dog with me and we made it.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Best hike ever, difficult, but not super bad, you can rock climb at the top into caves as well! When I went, it was inside of a cloud so no view but the experience was fantastic!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Went out and hiked to the top of Boney Mt yesterday. Agree with folks who point out this is not a moderate trail once you pass the "monument". A few items I would point out for first timers to this hike as follows 1) When you mapquest the address for the trailhead you end up at a road that is for authorized vehicles only. So we backtracked to the end of Wendy and folks there pointed us over to the State Park parking lot off of Lynn Road; 2) Starting at Lynn or Wendy appears to add about 8/10 mile round trip to the hike; 3) the trail marking was a little confusing and resulted in about 2 miles of backtracking. Biggest mistake we made was to turn at a fork that was labeled Old Boney Mt trail - don't do it - keep going to and past the "monument" which is identified on the fork in the road. 4) Once past the monument it's a pretty strenuous climb up several thousand feet on a trail that is in rough shape.

So with all this said it was an awesome hike. We ended up going between 12 and 13 miles in about 5 hours. The view at the top was spectacular although on the Pacific side it was overcast. I would note that my buddy rolled his ankle on the way down the hill so the warnings on other posts are spot on. I would have rated the hike a 5 if not for the trail condition in a few spots. Sorry for the long post - wanted to share lessons learned!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Always a solid hike, great views and lots of fun! This time we decided to take Boney to fossil trail; a step traverse down then back up the Black B.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Tough but great workout. 2 hours up from road below Ranger Houses to the peak. 20 min on top for fried chicken and buddy's home brewed IPA (first time in MANY years I had a beer at 8:30 am). Back down in 1:40 with some trail jogging. Started at 6:30. 30-min - 1 hour earlier next time would be better. Parts of the trail really work calves and heart rate. Maybe the Overlook is moderate, but the peak should be labelled hard. Wonder why AllTrails doesn't have the summit hike listed. I would guess it is closer to 10 mi out and back.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

It was tough and challenging, so not moderate.