Boney Mountain Overlook Trail

Boney Mountain Overlook Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury Park, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is very rutted due to the wet 2016/2017 winter. It's a quad buster on the climb and knee banger on the descent. For the usually tame Santa Monicas, it provides a very respectable challenge.

Easy trail up to Danielson Ranch, but after that you should be prepared to scramble. The portion above the Ranch is not for novices attempting their first long hike. Bring at least 2 liters of water, you'll need it. Be advised that the trail above Danielson Ranch is deeply rutted in parts, and apparently not maintained. Bring your poles - you'll need them for the return to avoid falls.

Having said all that, if you are an experienced hiker, it's an excellent hike because of the challenging climbs -- you'll get a great workout.

It's scenic, but it's about being difficult more than it's about sight-seeing. Only for people with solid mental fortitude and a touch of sadism. Bring more water than you think you need and lots of sunscreen. Personally, I loved this hike. I usually keep a fast clip and rarely take breaks on the trail - Boney humbled me a tiny bit.

Would definitely recommend long pants for this hike. Areas of the trail are overgrown and shorts will give you rashes if you're allergic to wild grass. Bring plenty of water/snacks and start early, it gets hot on the Newbury Park side of the trail. Once you're on top of the mountain you can feel the cooling ocean breeze. Would have given it 5 stars if there was less overgrowth.

Great trail for the length and elevation gain. The views once you get close to the top are really great - interesting rock formations and (when it's clear) a stretching ocean. For a couple miles the trail gets very narrow and passes through tough shrubbery that will make it nice to have pants and long sleeves on. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about making this a loop (via the connector trail to Old Boney) prepare for some serious scrambling. Going up counter-clockwise (taking old boney instead of the tri peak trial at the 2 mile mark) will be better, but I took this hike to its end and then instead of turning around continued onto the 1 mile section that connects to old boney - and it was hell coming down that. Very steep, incredibly loose and the trail on All Trails is more of a guideline as there is really no established hiking path. The are sections of that part that I would easily classify as a 3 - pushing on to 4 - using the YDS. If I had known that in advance I would have set my expectations appropriately, but I brought my dog and at the worst parts it was already too late to turn around. Some friendly hikers also doing the loop - and equally caught off guard by the steepness and condition of the trail - had to help me carry her down in the worst spots. Basically, the out-and-back is a great hike with terrific views. If you decide to hike the connecting "trail" to old boney just know that no matter which direction you're hiking in you're in for a steep, loose and unestablished trail that is somewhat dangerous in a few sections.

Great canyon view as well as a nice waterfall. Definitely a calm get away.

Couple of friends and I tackled this hike last weekend. We got to the trail at almost 10am and thankfully we weren't any later because this hike took a lot longer than we expected it to. We parked and headed up the paved road towards the Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center. If you stay on the paved road and go to the right, like we did, you will end up on the "Old Boney Mt trail" which is just a short loop that took us a bit longer route. You'll already be walking far enough if you plan to go to the peak, so I would suggest you stay to the left, cross over the cute little bridge near the culture center and take the feeder trail through the grassy field. About half of the hike is fire roads with gradual elevation gain an loss, nothing too difficult. There is a detour that will take you too a waterfall, which was very nice when we went! Once you get past the monument the trail is pretty difficult, the trail is not maintained and it is more like a climb up a very narrow trail for a few miles, which, thanks to all of the rain lately, is very washed out in some parts. This trail is definitely an ankle-breaker. Hiking boots and poles are a great idea. I would go on a clear day, the views were great but it would've been better on a clear day. We heard a couple say that on a clear day you could even see Mt. Baldy from the top. took us a little less than 4 hours to get to the peak, and 2 hours to get down. At the peak there was a native american gentleman playing a flute, we sat with him feeling the surreal, nostalgic yearning for the people who once lived on these lands. I will definitely visit the culture center next time.

Hike became a last minute idea or ours and did not start until 3pm. Nice lady on the trail did not recommend completing it since it would be dark if we made it to the summit. We made it to Danielson Monument at 5pm and decided to turn back. We had plenty of water with us but did not have warm clothes. Great trail with incredible views. We will be back in the following weeks to complete it, this time we will get an early start.
Oh yeah, just before we got to the trailhead we saw a group who was walking on the trail blindfolded using only their senses. Turned out they were part of the new berry park martial arts center and putting their skills to the test. Great group of individuals.

Friday, December 09, 2016

Good, challenging day hike through chaparral. Somewhat marred by views of urban development and area will need time to recover from recent fires.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Its long. Take ur phone and make sure you stay on the right trail. There are plenty of turns and forks. It was rough. But a good hike. Took my dog with me and we made it.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Best hike ever, difficult, but not super bad, you can rock climb at the top into caves as well! When I went, it was inside of a cloud so no view but the experience was fantastic!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Went out and hiked to the top of Boney Mt yesterday. Agree with folks who point out this is not a moderate trail once you pass the "monument". A few items I would point out for first timers to this hike as follows 1) When you mapquest the address for the trailhead you end up at a road that is for authorized vehicles only. So we backtracked to the end of Wendy and folks there pointed us over to the State Park parking lot off of Lynn Road; 2) Starting at Lynn or Wendy appears to add about 8/10 mile round trip to the hike; 3) the trail marking was a little confusing and resulted in about 2 miles of backtracking. Biggest mistake we made was to turn at a fork that was labeled Old Boney Mt trail - don't do it - keep going to and past the "monument" which is identified on the fork in the road. 4) Once past the monument it's a pretty strenuous climb up several thousand feet on a trail that is in rough shape.

So with all this said it was an awesome hike. We ended up going between 12 and 13 miles in about 5 hours. The view at the top was spectacular although on the Pacific side it was overcast. I would note that my buddy rolled his ankle on the way down the hill so the warnings on other posts are spot on. I would have rated the hike a 5 if not for the trail condition in a few spots. Sorry for the long post - wanted to share lessons learned!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Always a solid hike, great views and lots of fun! This time we decided to take Boney to fossil trail; a step traverse down then back up the Black B.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Tough but great workout. 2 hours up from road below Ranger Houses to the peak. 20 min on top for fried chicken and buddy's home brewed IPA (first time in MANY years I had a beer at 8:30 am). Back down in 1:40 with some trail jogging. Started at 6:30. 30-min - 1 hour earlier next time would be better. Parts of the trail really work calves and heart rate. Maybe the Overlook is moderate, but the peak should be labelled hard. Wonder why AllTrails doesn't have the summit hike listed. I would guess it is closer to 10 mi out and back.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

It was tough and challenging, so not moderate.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

tough trek up with some nice views, especially at the top. getting there is not scenic however. I'd rate it difficult after doing it now for 3rd time not sure why rated so low. 9.2 miles from dirt lot and over 2000 ft climbing in a trough or gutter for some of the way. going down is tough in joints too.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Great day hike!

Monday, March 07, 2016

Amazing hike!! Especially in the spring after a good rain. So many wildflowers.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Honestly I personally didn't fall in love with the trail that much but I do know that it's my fault because I didn't prepare for it. It did however have various terrain and tails. Very beautiful.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The nice thing about this hike is that it is varied. Some parts of the trail are nice and easy, other parts have been washed almost completely away and are more challenging. The views are very good and on a clear day they are great.