Learn more

Bolinas Ridge Trail is a 11 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.0 mi Elevation gain 1,824 ft Route type Point to Point

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Hike The Bolinas ridge form Olema to Bolinas Lagoon. The Trail Parallels Olema Creek and the San Andreas Fault. Excellent Birding opportunities are along the way.

Park off of Sir Francis Drake Blvd.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Directions from Bear Valley Visitor Center: Drive eastward on Sir Francis Drake Highway to Olema. Continue driving past Olema to the trailhead on theright. It is approximately five minutes from the visitor center to the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (141)
Photos (218)
Recordings (118)
Completed (202)
Melissa Hale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 02 2020
HikingBugs

I enjoyed the views of this hike along with sharing the path with cows! It was a very mindless out and back hike which was just what I needed! My only complaint was the 30+ ticks I had to pick off of my three dogs

John Spinale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Mountain biking

Perfect out and back ride. Steady climb out, mostly downhill on the way back.

View John's Recording
John Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingBugsRocky

The lighthouse was closed for some reason today so we opted for a nice walk on the first leg of the Bolinas Ridge Trail. It was nice, fairly warm and definitely sunnyish. Keep an eye out for cyclists coming downhill and listen for their bells. Oh and the cows, stay clear of cows especially if you have a dog with you. They can become alarmed and charge (at you) when ‘under threat’. There were connections to the trail we took that would have zippered you some 11 miles. Oh, there was some tick activity so definitely check your clothing and animals so you don’t get bitten

Trail Ninja
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
View Trail's Recording
Nathan Tsang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

We did an out and back hike on the Bolinas Ridge Trail from Olema for a total of 22 miles. It was a foggy day, the first few miles were cool and dry then the trail gets wet and soggy when we hiked through the dense redwoods. The hike was long but the climbs were gentle. We encounter a few mountain bikers and they were courteous. Overall it was a beautiful hike, I will do it again.

View Nathan's Recording
DeAngelo Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

This Trail took us on a 19.6 Mile Mind Hump! We were enjoying our walk when a Ranger drove by and said “ you would be happier taking that way!” So we gave it a try! We are not pro, didn’t even think to record the Hike on here, but dude! This trail was confusing due not having the map available to get to the falls! Anyways my Legs almost Gave out so many time! The parking Lot was full so we parked further down which was also a bummer, we started at 3pm and got to our car at 11:12 it was nonstop walk and We grew very anxious and dehydrated, batteries on iPhones were from 8%, 1% and dead for the total of 3 hikers! Thankfully we were able to use the flashlight on the iPhone to guide us through the night! Next time we will head straight to Alemera Falls on the faster route. Be prepared

Carol Trieu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

Loved the trail and all but we found ELEVEN ticks on one of our dogs (granted, she is part husky and has thick fur). We found two just from petting on our other dog so we decided to give both a flea/tick bath... and here we are still plucking ticks off. The trail on the other hand, was beautiful. Cows at the entrance. The gates weren’t open yet so we had to go through a very tight switch back of planks to enter/exit two parts of the trail. Once at the entrance and another a fork in the trail.

Tad Whitaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
Mountain biking

A little technical up due to deep ruts. First five miles hard and in the sun. But from other direction to that point is beautiful redwood grove, shade and good for kid.

View Tad's Recording
Augie Pennino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Nov 02 2019
Hiking

We (my dog and I) did the hike in reverse, so we started in the redwoods. It seems like they just trimmed some of the trees so there is a nice smell of pine. We made it 4 miles before we had to turn back. During that time we maybe 5 people. It's a nice relaxing hike, not the most scenic but we did see a big buck on the trail. Also the drive to the trailhead is beautiful.

Matty Carbone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Oct 19 2019
Hiking

Lots of cows. Denali’s longest hike. Denali + Oatie = BFF’s. Tiff, Coco, Molli, Chaz

View Matty's Recording
Kimmy Haines
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Oct 16 2019
Hiking

i hiked this trail in July and it was pretty scorching hot, kind of similar scenery and not steep , not many people on a weekday, saw one other hiker in about 4 hour

Larry Shrier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 18 2019
Running

There is ample Parking, the trail head is in the Bear Valley Visitor Center. (Great place to pick up trail maps which have a more detailed descriptions). The grade wasn’t comfortable for me to run very far, squeezed out 3 miles, the incline was too much for my S Florida sea level legs. The path is wide and beautiful. Lots of lush landscape. Couldn’t attest to the route further.

Amy Kreimeier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 01 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

Started this hike at Sir Francis Drake. Pretty hike, lots of variation in scenery but no views. There is no shade for the first few miles so be prepared. The trail was very overgrown with lots of ticks. I must have picked 6 off myself. Brought the dogs & they were covered in ticks so just check often. Maybe starting from the other side would have more shade and less bugs.

Devon McConnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 13 2019
Hiking

Did 4 miles from sir Francis drake with my family today for Mother’s Day - possibly my new favorite hike. Beautiful hills, meadows and wildflowers. Magic. Have also done parts of the other side which is a beautiful redwood forest. Can’t wait to come back and do the whole trail together

Dena Sexton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 31 2019
View Dena's Recording
Kyle Pickering
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 16 2019
View Kyle's Recording
Paul B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 22 2018
Mountain biking

Nice ride, I attempted it for the first time on my road bike, and was easy even for a non experienced rider like myself. A group of hardcore riders passed me and were shocked the Someone would attempt the trail on that type of bicycle so it must not be too difficult. I didn’t go to the end, I turned off on Shafter grade to visit the dam and it was really really steep with loose rocks but doable with f/b disk brakes. Over all well worth it.

Justin A Forsman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 17 2018
Hiking

I love this trail! I’ll take my dog out here early in the morning on weekends for a couple hour hike. The views are consistently beautiful and the trail is moderately challenging. I haven’t hiked the whole 22 mile out and back yet, but plan to someday! I’m looking forward to seeing how this trail changes throughout the seasons. Watch out for ticks though!!

MaryKate Swenarton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 08 2018

Hardly anyone on this trail which is hard to find close to SF. Great trail to do with doggos but no water for them anywhere at this time of year so carry extra! A couple options along the way to leave the ridge and meet route 1 if you want a shorter hike. No ticks and a couple cows that minded their own business.

Kimberly Ernest
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 21 2018

Lots of ticks! Also there were a couple animals wandering around looking at my dog as meat. Decided not to complete it

Patrick Weiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 17 2018
Hiking

Beautiful, dog-friendly out and back with some mellow rolling hills and a nice picnic bench 2 miles in to stop for lunch.

Steven Keihner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 08 2018

Incredibly beautiful

Tuesday Simmons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 19 2018
Hiking

Great trail for on-leash dog hiking! We walked out 5 miles and back 5 miles from the north end. It was open and exposed the whole time (no walking in forested areas—that’s farther south) with a wide trail and beautiful views of the hills and the nearby bay. There is a point 1.2 miles from the trailhead where it’s unclear whether you should go through a gate and continue left or walk left on the current side of the fence — go through the gate!! The misleading path is a cattle path. Speaking of which — the cows can be extremely *friendly*, thinking you are bringing them food. If you have dogs (especially heelers) make sure you’re following the leash rule for their safety. It can be INCREDIBLY windy, so make sure you dress accordingly. I plan on going back and trying an out-and-back from the southern end.

Jennifer Z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 30 2017
Mountain biking

great trail! steady continuous up hill climb bit very ridable.

Ramon Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 24 2017
Running

This is a really awesome trail to run. Not too much and just enough! The first time i did it was few weeks ago and definitely had to come and do the whole thing. Went to all the way to the black top on fairfax-bolinas rd and turned back. Saw some hikers on the way in at olema and a couple hikers at the other end by fairfax-bolinas rd but other then that was just my dog and myself on the trail. Next run will be from olema to the golden gate. Love how this trails just web throughout the headlands!. Great trail overall!!!

Cat Maguire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 18 2017

Scenery is lost once in the trees but an enjoyable hike

Clare Graham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 17 2017

This is a great trail for running- lots of varied terrain and great views. Once you get into the forest you have plenty of shade and it's just a dream run.