Bodega Dunes Trail

Bodega Dunes Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bodega Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

don't be fooled. this is for horses

From the trail head, the trail starts off with beautiful views. Saw elk right on the trail (had to stop and proceed with caution) on the Horseshoe Cove Overlook, which is a short up and back I’d recommend. After that, it goes downhill. Trail is for horses and full of sand (dunes, so expected), which means basically walking in a horsey litter box. Decent workout, though. If you do end up on this trail and aren’t staying at the campgrounds, I recommend hiking to the bend in Whaleship Rd, where there is a well marked trail from dunes to the street between the houses. Then, walk down Whaleship to Bay Flat Rd, turn right and walk 1/2 a mile to the best clam chowder and crab sandwiches you’ve ever had at the SECOND restaurant, Spud Point Crab Company. You deserve it. Try to grab a table. After you eat, it’s a 3 mile walk on Westshore Rd back to the trailhead. Two cars would be perfect.

a super weird trail. there's an upper trail and a lower trail. the upper trail is behind people's houses but both are 100% in deep sand and the upper trail is a horse trail so there's tons of horse shit. not really meant for normal hiking.

recorded Recording - Jul 01, 04:28 PM

Nice trail. I started out at the parking lot for the day use area. Made a few detours to go to the beach and getting a little turned around. Didn't quite make it to the Head bc of a late start. Some parts where chest-high tall grasses, pretty over grown. But mostly beautiful sand dunes. I'd do it again but leave myself more time.

Walked from Bodega RV Park and back along the road into town and back to our RV park- 18 kms all up. Many deer and bigger bucks in the dunes. We did lose our way at the 2/3 point in but recovers across country. Thanks to the app. It’s probably 3 miles of sand dunes. Great exercise. Spectacular views at the headland. And facilities available there too. A nice walk !

Monday, February 19, 2018

This trail is all soft sand. The entire way. Yuck. The starting point is not well marked and in the middle of the campground, thus no parking. Trails to the beach are not marked.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

08Oct2017 Park is under Improvement so there is no place for day use parking. I'll have to try again another day.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Amazing view!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Great Views ✨

Friday, August 25, 2017

Fun easy pretty views- estimate your miles to take twice as long as it's in sand!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Gorgeous views and beautiful weather.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Lots of options. We cut over to the beach and walked part of the way back on it. Sandy trail so we didn't go as far as we thought. I say it is moderate.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Beautiful scenery. We didn't exactly follow the trail but ended up on the beach anyway and altogether logged 4 miles. It was a nice hike that you could easily increase the intensity level if you choose to.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Pleasant hike, and I'm not kidding; I can't say enough great things about the Dunes camp grounds, other then it's the best camping in 100 miles easily. I grew up camping here my whole life and never once had a problem with rangers or groundsmen. They let my parents get away with some pretty rowdy shenanigans as long as your polite and respectful to them and the nature around you. They even don't mind (or haven't for me) allowing sleeping in overflow parking for the night for free. Very nice people there and much love for that place.

Sunday, September 09, 2018