Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary

Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yuba City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 59 feet Route Type: Loop

Be sure to bring binoculars and maybe a guide book. Over 190 species of birds have been observed. Among the trees you'll see are giant Sycamores, Valley Oaks, and also Cottonwoods. Despite being a good place for birding, some users have reported that this is not a very well marked trail, and is more of a levee road and a dirt road along the river with overgrowth of bushes and weeds. One must walk down a slippery hill covered with grass to reach dirt road from levee road. From Sacramento take I-5 N, then the Hwy 70/99 exit and then 99 N. A few miles after 99 crosses the Feather River is Laurel Ave. Turn right on Laurel and in a short distance you'll reach an "End" sign. The last stretch of this road is dirt and gravel and is over private land. Please drive slowly so not to stir up a lot of dust. The dirt road ends at the levee (if the gate is open, don't drive up the levee!). There is a small parking lot and a metal barn. There's also a porta-potty near the barn.

The Google app had a difficult time finding a decent way to the trail head. I arrived shortly before sunrise with a bit of help from the levy project worker. It is a very easy, flat trail that would be great for kids. Even in low light, I had no problem finding the trail. It even has trail markers at the intersections with exit clearly indicated. Loads of waterfowl. Trail was never muddy despite recent rain.

It was a nice place to take the family.

This was a nice walk, not far from where I live. The scenery was nice, and not a lot of people. A good place for just a nice 4 or so mile walk in nature. Probably a good place to run also, except for the many gopher holes--beware! There's a mailbox in the parking lot with maps, and we put ours back when finished.

my aunt and uncle owned this land. I rode horses all over it as a teenager. It no longer is the beautiful property I enjoyed so much. It is a jungle. My aunt and uncle would be very disappointed in the maintenance of it.

I got lost trying to find this place. There is a dead end sign and you keep driving past it. Once I parked I hiked up the levee access road and kept walking. Then I noticed a dirt path down the hill a bit and decided that was my hiking path. It wasn’t. After following the dirt path a bit I found a gate that said BobElaine on it. I thought maybe the sanctuary was closed but nope! Just skirt around a tree off to the side and you’re in! Once you’re in it’s green and lush and the trails look like they were mowed about 3 weeks earlier. Totally walkable. I followed the map (picked that up at the entrance) and sign posts easily, no fears of getting lost. I’ll do this one again but bring binoculars. They have lovely benches to sit on too.

nice and easy. autobahn trail,so all natural a ton of shade river access. benches throughout. open meadows and a ton of wildlife. hawks and deer. not another person present, very peaceful. but no dogs allowed.

I wouldn’t call this a trail. Just really a walk and not too much to take in. I don’t need to return.

ok for a walk if you live near by but not much to see without binoculars, bring lots of bug spray

Sun Dec 30 2018

I came here before in the summer and was miserable as I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. This wintry day exceeded my expectations. Saw deer, coyote, peacocks and several hawks and other assorted birds. It hasn't rained in days so the trails weren't too muddy. Beautiful view of the Feather River looking south from the overlook. And no mosquitoes this time of year.

Mon Jun 11 2018

I would not recommend this hike for anyone. The directions were perfect. Parking was plentiful. The trails were nonexistent. Just a "levee road" and a dirt road along the river with overgrowth of bushes and weeds between river and dirt road. One must walk down a slippery hill coverd with yellow, dead 1-2 foot high grass to reach dirt road from levee road. There were no markers or any indication that I was actually on a hike or a trail at any time. I am a female and did not feel safe out there alone. I am honestly not sure why this is on All Trails. It does not resemble any hikes, walks or treks I have found on this website as I have always had a wonderful experience until today.

Thu Nov 02 2017

I didn't like this trail. It wasn't maintained too well. It wasn't pretty, just all around a dirty, mess of a place. The only thing I would recommend it for is if you're looking to go for a walk and you're close to it already.

Sat Oct 14 2017

Closed due to levee work

Tue Jun 13 2017

My wife and I got out there Sunday. They are doing a lot of work on the levies following the big rain season and actually have two signs posted as you drive up that look like they mean "no hiking". We went any way. Once you park, you have to walk a ways north up the levy to get to a good spot to enter the trails. Everything is severely over grown at this time and it is very easy to get off on to wildlife trails as they are about as well worn as the people trails. Wear long pants as the over growth will be glad to give you all the foxtails and burrs you can handle! It was a beautiful, cool summer day and the though the stickers put a bit of a damper on our jaunt, the scenery is beautiful! I'll certainly be going back, hopefully after some maintenance can be done on the trails.

Tue May 09 2017

peaceful walk along the stream, saw sone birds and turtles..alot of dead animals along the trail. bring bug repellent but easy for the kids to walk.

Mon May 08 2017

It's still flooded, so I'd wait another few weeks at least. Since I couldn't get far due to the water, I walked (north?) along the levee for a mile or so. The parking area has changed a bit since I was last there, I think due to the work on the nearby culvert.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Trail was flooded where the two loops intersect, but the parts that were accessible were fantastic. Lots of butterflies, turtles, and ducks. Plenty of animal tracks to identify as well.

Wed Feb 01 2017

Flooded.....this will be a great hike in the last spring and summer. Tons of birds/ducks....deer a plenty. Many wildlife prints including coyotes, and bobcat.

Sat Jan 21 2017

Good hike easy for little ones. Great views of local agriculture.

Tue Jan 10 2017

my boys gave this trail a 4 because it was long for them... I give it a 5 because as we get stronger this will be a good trail to practice on:)

Thu Oct 27 2016

It was alright. Had to go there for a project, the grassland trail is not that well kept however. There are a ton of mosquitoes and they leave a nasty mark so be prepared. The river's outlook point is very nice though, i would recommend you go there if you plan to come here. It's a nice place to go at least once, but bring something to keep mosquitoes off.

Thu Jun 09 2016

was ok just confusing without directions

Sat Jun 04 2016

I really liked it. There were spots were it was really humid. It's a fairly easy trail. I didn't do the whole thing. There are a few different trails to choose from. There was alot of spiders & flying bugs so I would recommend bug spray. I'd will be going back to go on the other trails. BTW we did see a huge snake so watch out.

Fri Jun 03 2016

Let me start with the awesome part.. I saw a bald eagle! Tried to take pics but phone cam sucks. There are a lot of different trails you can take. It's definitely a take it easy trail. Nothing steep other than the itty bitty walk up the levee. Some parts are a little humid and swampy smelling but if you like nature it's an awesome walk. There is a gate at the end of the road but parking is right before that so don't think it's closed. Only con for me are the bugs but they are just annoying not harmful. I will definitely be back with a real camera this time

Sun May 15 2016

I really enjoyed the diversity of this trail.

Thu Mar 31 2016

Easy trail. A little confusing on getting to the other side but once you're there the signs work great. It's not really a hike, more of a trail walk.

Sun Mar 27 2016

no trail. over grown!

Sun Aug 16 2015

Nice trails. will be going back to explore it more. Just some information the park is not mark from the road.

Mon May 18 2015

Super easy trail and well marked. Nice for a stroll, but wouldn't head here if you really want to do some hiking. This trail is more for bird watching and just getting outdoors.

Mon May 04 2015

There were no signs indicating where to turn off Hwy 99 for the trail head and I had to follow directions in a book to find it as my GPS wanted to take me somewhere else. The End sign on the road to the trail just means that's where the concrete road ends; keep going straight until the dirt road dead-ends into the parking lot. I misinterpreted the signs along the trail (reading Private Property) as a "keep out" so I ended up missing half of the actual trail. I found it along the top-most loop/north firebreak though. The trails that I did go on were clearly marked and very well maintained. I went pretty early in the day in hopes of seeing some wildlife, but only saw a couple rabbits and a peacock. I heard quite a few different birds, but did not see them. Overall it was a pleasant 5-mile walk.