Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary Trail

Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yuba City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This 430 acre wildlife sanctuary is maintained by volunteers of the Sacramento Audubon Society. It was donated to National Audubon in 1975 by Bob & Elaine Crandall. From Sacramento take I-5 N, then the Hwy 70/99 exit and then 99 N. A few miles after 99 crosses the Feather River is Laurel Ave. Turn right on Laurel and in a short distance you'll reach an "End" sign. The last stretch of this road is dirt and gravel and is over private land. Please drive slowly so not to stir up a lot of dust. The dirt road ends at the levee (if the gate is open, don't drive up the levee!). There is a small parking lot and a metal barn. There's also a porta-potty near the barn. Be sure to bring binoculars and maybe a guide book. Over 190 species of birds have been observed. Among the trees you'll see are giant Sycamores, Valley Oaks, and also Cottonwoods.

I didn't like this trail. It wasn't maintained too well. It wasn't pretty, just all around a dirty, mess of a place. The only thing I would recommend it for is if you're looking to go for a walk and you're close to it already.

Closed due to levee work

My wife and I got out there Sunday. They are doing a lot of work on the levies following the big rain season and actually have two signs posted as you drive up that look like they mean "no hiking". We went any way. Once you park, you have to walk a ways north up the levy to get to a good spot to enter the trails. Everything is severely over grown at this time and it is very easy to get off on to wildlife trails as they are about as well worn as the people trails. Wear long pants as the over growth will be glad to give you all the foxtails and burrs you can handle!

It was a beautiful, cool summer day and the though the stickers put a bit of a damper on our jaunt, the scenery is beautiful! I'll certainly be going back, hopefully after some maintenance can be done on the trails.

peaceful walk along the stream, saw sone birds and turtles..alot of dead animals along the trail. bring bug repellent but easy for the kids to walk.

It's still flooded, so I'd wait another few weeks at least. Since I couldn't get far due to the water, I walked (north?) along the levee for a mile or so.

The parking area has changed a bit since I was last there, I think due to the work on the nearby culvert.

Trail was flooded where the two loops intersect, but the parts that were accessible were fantastic. Lots of butterflies, turtles, and ducks. Plenty of animal tracks to identify as well.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Flooded.....this will be a great hike in the last spring and summer. Tons of birds/ducks....deer a plenty. Many wildlife prints including coyotes, and bobcat.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Good hike easy for little ones. Great views of local agriculture.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

my boys gave this trail a 4 because it was long for them... I give it a 5 because as we get stronger this will be a good trail to practice on:)

Thursday, October 27, 2016

It was alright. Had to go there for a project, the grassland trail is not that well kept however. There are a ton of mosquitoes and they leave a nasty mark so be prepared. The river's outlook point is very nice though, i would recommend you go there if you plan to come here. It's a nice place to go at least once, but bring something to keep mosquitoes off.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

was ok just confusing without directions

Saturday, June 04, 2016

I really liked it. There were spots were it was really humid. It's a fairly easy trail. I didn't do the whole thing. There are a few different trails to choose from. There was alot of spiders & flying bugs so I would recommend bug spray. I'd will be going back to go on the other trails. BTW we did see a huge snake so watch out.

Friday, June 03, 2016

Let me start with the awesome part.. I saw a bald eagle! Tried to take pics but phone cam sucks. There are a lot of different trails you can take. It's definitely a take it easy trail. Nothing steep other than the itty bitty walk up the levee. Some parts are a little humid and swampy smelling but if you like nature it's an awesome walk. There is a gate at the end of the road but parking is right before that so don't think it's closed. Only con for me are the bugs but they are just annoying not harmful. I will definitely be back with a real camera this time

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I really enjoyed the diversity of this trail.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Easy trail. A little confusing on getting to the other side but once you're there the signs work great. It's not really a hike, more of a trail walk.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

no trail. over grown!

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nice trails. will be going back to explore it more. Just some information the park is not mark from the road.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Super easy trail and well marked. Nice for a stroll, but wouldn't head here if you really want to do some hiking. This trail is more for bird watching and just getting outdoors.

Monday, May 04, 2015

There were no signs indicating where to turn off Hwy 99 for the trail head and I had to follow directions in a book to find it as my GPS wanted to take me somewhere else. The End sign on the road to the trail just means that's where the concrete road ends; keep going straight until the dirt road dead-ends into the parking lot.
I misinterpreted the signs along the trail (reading Private Property) as a "keep out" so I ended up missing half of the actual trail. I found it along the top-most loop/north firebreak though.
The trails that I did go on were clearly marked and very well maintained. I went pretty early in the day in hopes of seeing some wildlife, but only saw a couple rabbits and a peacock. I heard quite a few different birds, but did not see them. Overall it was a pleasant 5-mile walk.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Walked a few of the paths. We went through the middle and not along the river. It's super green. It was about 5 miles round trip. We saw lots of birds and turtles sunbathing. It's an easy trail. When you pull up it feels like you're on someone's property because of a few homes and orchards. You have to go onto the dirt road just a few 100 ft to actually see the entrance. Over all it was a fun walk.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Just a easy trail through the wild grapes, blackberry's and brush. We had lunch at edge of the Feather River, but since we are in a drought year there was not much water. We saw some Turkey Vultures but the hike was not strenuous enough for us to generate their interest.

Monday, August 04, 2014

I'm very curious where this trail actually is. I drove 40 minutes using the mapping feature within the app and was taken to a dead end road in the middle of a bunch of orchards.

A farmer assumed I was broken down as I sat in my car attempting to use my Garmin to find the trail. Garmin couldn't find it either.

My hopes for a nice trail walk were completely blown. Instead I wound up with a 90 minute drive to no where.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Shady and cool. Nice trail, kid friendly.

Friday, August 09, 2013

Beautiful scenery, peaceful. Just minutes from the 99 hwy but you would think you're far far away. You see deer, peacocks, river views etc. However, I've done it both in the fall and the spring: we were pretty much a buffet for mosquitoes. Bring bug spray and make sure you're covered well.
In the fall the berries and wild grapes are ready and delicious.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Mosquitoes were every where! Bring bug spray for this trail.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

This is more of a walk than a hike. Nothing to see really. All the plants were green and you could hear a bunch of birds but not really see any. Once you get by the Feather River it's nice to stop for lunch.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

No pets of any kind allowed in the sanctuary.