Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yuba City, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 59 feet Route Type: Loop

Be sure to bring binoculars and maybe a guide book. Over 190 species of birds have been observed. Among the trees you'll see are giant Sycamores, Valley Oaks, and also Cottonwoods. Despite being a good place for birding, some users have reported that this is not a very well marked trail, and is more of a levee road and a dirt road along the river with overgrowth of bushes and weeds. One must walk down a slippery hill covered with grass to reach dirt road from levee road. From Sacramento take I-5 N, then the Hwy 70/99 exit and then 99 N. A few miles after 99 crosses the Feather River is Laurel Ave. Turn right on Laurel and in a short distance you'll reach an "End" sign. The last stretch of this road is dirt and gravel and is over private land. Please drive slowly so not to stir up a lot of dust. The dirt road ends at the levee (if the gate is open, don't drive up the levee!). There is a small parking lot and a metal barn. There's also a porta-potty near the barn.

Pretty awesome mix of trails types and a mix of sun and shade. There were a few benches scattered throughout which was nice. Signs are at all trail crossings. While we didn’t have issues with Ticks... we were weeeelll sprayed and were wearing high socks / long pants. Bugs were OK. We look forward to going back on a cooler day and doing the whole trail. Porta-Potty was in pretty good shape, which I consider a bonus!

Beautiful hike! Flat, good for kids. Tons and tons of poison oak, so stay on the trail.

I am so happy I tried this place. I am an older disabled out of shape woman and can only do easy trails. these are truly easy trails. there are several different ones to choose from so it's easy to go on a short hike or a longer one. lots of areas of walking through the woods and some clearings. the trails are grass that is mowed. I would recommend long pants because part of the trails were mowed really good and some had longer grass. I also use tick spray just to be safe. the trails are marked really good and there's a few benches. at the entrance there is a mailbox with maps that are very helpful. MapQuest had me turn on the wrong road and I ended up having to drive through in Orchard to get to the entrance. you want to turn down Laurel Avenue. it says no dogs allowed which I don't have a problem with least dogs if people would clean up after them. this would be a great walk for young kids also.

Awesome for bikes! Bring bug spray. One of the best bike routes.

fun hike with the kids, aged 12 and 14. lots of poison oak next to trail, keep the dogs out.

This is an easy quiet trail with some nice views of the river. However, be mindful that you may walk away with some ticks.

So the sanctuary itself is not that long (apparently), but as someone who often gets “lost,” I made the short walk into a considerably longer one. One can make it a longer walk as there is a path that follows along the levee and you can walk it for a while - I never made it to the end, so I could not tell you how long. It is not as picturesque as the redwoods or the ocean, but it is indeed quiet (minimal foot traffic). Next time, I will actually walk the trail around the sanctuary... (probably )

Great trail with the kids for catching butterflies and for learning about maps. Maps are available at the trailhead and there are posted trails signs throughout. Great view of the River!

DO NOT FOLLOW GOOGLE MAPS DIRECTIONS! Take Laurel Ave! Went there today and had an issue where Google maps took us down Cypress and on top of the levy and to a dead end but fortunately we found an entrance to the trail by hiking down a bit but felt wierd leaving our car parked on the Levy. Other than that issue and almost giving up before we got there, the trail was nice. Very clean and well kept. We will return again just to explore it a little more.

The Google app had a difficult time finding a decent way to the trail head. I arrived shortly before sunrise with a bit of help from the levy project worker. It is a very easy, flat trail that would be great for kids. Even in low light, I had no problem finding the trail. It even has trail markers at the intersections with exit clearly indicated. Loads of waterfowl. Trail was never muddy despite recent rain.

It was a nice place to take the family.

This was a nice walk, not far from where I live. The scenery was nice, and not a lot of people. A good place for just a nice 4 or so mile walk in nature. Probably a good place to run also, except for the many gopher holes--beware! There's a mailbox in the parking lot with maps, and we put ours back when finished.

my aunt and uncle owned this land. I rode horses all over it as a teenager. It no longer is the beautiful property I enjoyed so much. It is a jungle. My aunt and uncle would be very disappointed in the maintenance of it.

I got lost trying to find this place. There is a dead end sign and you keep driving past it. Once I parked I hiked up the levee access road and kept walking. Then I noticed a dirt path down the hill a bit and decided that was my hiking path. It wasn’t. After following the dirt path a bit I found a gate that said BobElaine on it. I thought maybe the sanctuary was closed but nope! Just skirt around a tree off to the side and you’re in! Once you’re in it’s green and lush and the trails look like they were mowed about 3 weeks earlier. Totally walkable. I followed the map (picked that up at the entrance) and sign posts easily, no fears of getting lost. I’ll do this one again but bring binoculars. They have lovely benches to sit on too.

nice and easy. autobahn trail,so all natural a ton of shade river access. benches throughout. open meadows and a ton of wildlife. hawks and deer. not another person present, very peaceful. but no dogs allowed.

Fri May 10 2019

I wouldn’t call this a trail. Just really a walk and not too much to take in. I don’t need to return.

Fri Apr 19 2019

ok for a walk if you live near by but not much to see without binoculars, bring lots of bug spray

Sun Dec 30 2018

I came here before in the summer and was miserable as I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. This wintry day exceeded my expectations. Saw deer, coyote, peacocks and several hawks and other assorted birds. It hasn't rained in days so the trails weren't too muddy. Beautiful view of the Feather River looking south from the overlook. And no mosquitoes this time of year.

Mon Jun 11 2018

I would not recommend this hike for anyone. The directions were perfect. Parking was plentiful. The trails were nonexistent. Just a "levee road" and a dirt road along the river with overgrowth of bushes and weeds between river and dirt road. One must walk down a slippery hill coverd with yellow, dead 1-2 foot high grass to reach dirt road from levee road. There were no markers or any indication that I was actually on a hike or a trail at any time. I am a female and did not feel safe out there alone. I am honestly not sure why this is on All Trails. It does not resemble any hikes, walks or treks I have found on this website as I have always had a wonderful experience until today.

Thu Nov 02 2017

I didn't like this trail. It wasn't maintained too well. It wasn't pretty, just all around a dirty, mess of a place. The only thing I would recommend it for is if you're looking to go for a walk and you're close to it already.

Sat Oct 14 2017

Closed due to levee work

Tue Jun 13 2017

My wife and I got out there Sunday. They are doing a lot of work on the levies following the big rain season and actually have two signs posted as you drive up that look like they mean "no hiking". We went any way. Once you park, you have to walk a ways north up the levy to get to a good spot to enter the trails. Everything is severely over grown at this time and it is very easy to get off on to wildlife trails as they are about as well worn as the people trails. Wear long pants as the over growth will be glad to give you all the foxtails and burrs you can handle! It was a beautiful, cool summer day and the though the stickers put a bit of a damper on our jaunt, the scenery is beautiful! I'll certainly be going back, hopefully after some maintenance can be done on the trails.

Tue May 09 2017

peaceful walk along the stream, saw sone birds and turtles..alot of dead animals along the trail. bring bug repellent but easy for the kids to walk.

Mon May 08 2017

It's still flooded, so I'd wait another few weeks at least. Since I couldn't get far due to the water, I walked (north?) along the levee for a mile or so. The parking area has changed a bit since I was last there, I think due to the work on the nearby culvert.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Trail was flooded where the two loops intersect, but the parts that were accessible were fantastic. Lots of butterflies, turtles, and ducks. Plenty of animal tracks to identify as well.

Wed Feb 01 2017

Flooded.....this will be a great hike in the last spring and summer. Tons of birds/ducks....deer a plenty. Many wildlife prints including coyotes, and bobcat.

Sat Jan 21 2017

Good hike easy for little ones. Great views of local agriculture.

Tue Jan 10 2017

my boys gave this trail a 4 because it was long for them... I give it a 5 because as we get stronger this will be a good trail to practice on:)

Thu Oct 27 2016

It was alright. Had to go there for a project, the grassland trail is not that well kept however. There are a ton of mosquitoes and they leave a nasty mark so be prepared. The river's outlook point is very nice though, i would recommend you go there if you plan to come here. It's a nice place to go at least once, but bring something to keep mosquitoes off.