Beach, Bluffs, Panorama, Ridge, and Creamery Meadow Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(448)
Andrew Molera State Park

Beach, Bluffs, Panorama, Ridge, and Creamery Meadow Loop is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,315 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

bridge out

closed

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 there is currently no vehicle access to this trail or others in the park. See here for more info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355 A loop that offers beautiful ocean vistas, meadows and forests.

Trail was overgrown so I had to stop about 2 miles in and go back. About a mile walk from parking lot to trailhead. There’s a small knee high stream that you’ll have to cross. Not a bad hike

It was a great trail but not maintained all the way. Some places were so much overgrown that it was very hard to find the trail. The trail has views all through its way. Wearing full sleeve will help pass through those over grown areas without any scratches on your body. I recommend taking the clockwise way: ridge trail, panorama trail and then bluff trail on your way back.

Would give 5 stars but some sections if you follow this map are extremely overgrown. Many hikes in the park that you can access without walking through the overgrown section though. Beautiful views, fresh air and wildlife. Saw a 6 point buck just off trail watching us enjoying his day. Wear pants and long sleeves and check for ticks if you do that you’ll have a blast.

beautiful view of the ocean not too hard recommended to go clockwise on the loop trail I went counterclockwise it was a little bit harder

Beautiful views but so overgrown in a lot of places I probably wouldn’t hike this again. Definitely wear long pants on this hike or your legs will get shredded in all the overgrowth. You also have to walk about knee length through an icy river in the beginning or end depending which direction you start the loop. I recommend a clockwise direction so you come down on the ocean side and get beautiful panoramic views

bridge out

Beautiful trail! The bridge is not in place yet so you will have to walk across the stream but it’s only about knee high and very slow moving water. Great balance between hillside and coastal scenery. Decent workout the first couple miles when heading uphill then it’s a nice walk through the hills down to the beachfront. Definitely recommend and will go again!

flooded

Okay so let me start off by saying my husband and I go on hikes all over. We love this app and have found it to be relatively accurate thus far. With the exception of the distance traveled almost always being off. We have done many hikes with this app typically when a hike says moderate we find it to be, well, moderate... this hike was not moderate. It was on the hard side. Last month we did a 20 mile hike with 2386 ft elevation incline. That hike was hard and took endurance. This hike was shorter, however the terrain changes abruptly, and there is A LOT of uphill areas. The signs were poorly marked, the trails were overgrown, and even the entrance to the trail heads (there’s a few different ones) are poorly labeled. At one point we were so far off trail we just headed in the direction of where we thought we were supposed to be going. We finally got back safely. Many people on here warn about the river that needs to be crossed... that was nothing. The water isn’t fast moving, it’s a little cold but not freezing, it does go up to your knees as you cross. The river itself is very pretty. Rocks at the bottom and crystal clear water. I would bring a towel or shorts or both. Okay now for the good parts... this hike is absolutely beautiful. From the ridge trail and it’s beautiful forest and mountain scenery, to the panoramic trail with exactly that PANORAMIC BEACH VIEWS that are absolutely breath taking. Then the bluffs trail which is relatively flat and enjoyable after the intense incline of the ridge trail. After the bluff trail ends the hike begins to get a little confusing. It says the next part of the trail is the beach trail. And to your left there is a beautiful beach and what appears to be a beach trail. It’s not. And when you actually walk along the “beach trail” as it aligns with the map on the app you will be in thickets of bushes, overgrown weeds, bobcats, and poison oak. This hike desperately needs better signage. Also if trails are closed due to being overgrown or washed out they really should be blocked off. I did mention in my review earlier that there were bobcats off the trail. They are also on the trail. They’re totally harmless. Just a little bigger than a large overly fed house cat. All of that being said, the views were totally worth it. It’s a shame that the park isn’t taken care of properly because this has been one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on in California and even though it was not the best experience, due to getting super lost, I would do it again.

Best way to see the west coast! Such beautiful views and a fun trail. The best way to do it is bluffs trail out to the "secret beach" and back. stay in trail until the beach but there's great beach spots and bouldering once you're out there!

As other reviewers mentioned, there is a stream crossing in the beginning. I found it very refreshing and not dangerous at all. Along the path there were birds, a deer, and small flowers. The beach path seemed to be closed. Along the bluff trail, the plant growth limited views of the ocean. Overall beautiful! parking was easy and park ranger is present. agreed signature not the best but you can figure it out.

Plant friendly, scenic, and fun!

Amazing parkland except clearly there is no money for signage. The trails are great- wide and accessible with lovely views. The problem is the signage. It's very difficult to figure out where the trails begin. This morning we struggled to find the entrance to the bluff and ridge trails which we discovered were across a small stream (up to our knees deep in fairly cold water) and only marked with one sign indicating "Bluff trail" when actually both trails begin at that point. We had to guess that we were on the Beach trail because it led to the beach- never did see a sign til the beach was in sight. We asked the ranger how to get to the trail on the east side of Route 1 and she told us "turn at the white barn to get to the tunnel...". Well, we did and eventually did find the tunnel but, again, the path was poorly marked with signage on only one side of a narrow stake, which happened to the be the side we weren't coming from (since we came from the white barn...). It cost $10 to park in a very spacious parking lot with a self-serve pay system that WAS well marked, but, again, it seems ridiculous that a few more signs could not be put up. (Just rustic boards with lettering and an arrow- could that be so expensive?)

Beautiful coastal moderate hike. Best to take ridge first for a good elevation burn. Some ruts on Panarama trail but easy to navigate. This time of year need to cross a low (knee high) river so take a small towel to dry up. Flowers are starting to bloom. Definitely recommend this hike

recorded Recording - Jan 26, 03:33 PM

1/12/20 I clocked a little over 9 miles on this trail. Saw a larger bob cat about 1 mild in(I posted a pic of it, not afraid of me at all) Awesome trail that starts out steep for a few miles with breathtaking mountain views. Then even more breathtaking ocean views down the mountain on the way back that I ran for the last 3-4 miles. The beach is a short extra distance and totally worth checking out!!! This is one of my favorite trails ever by far with and great workout and major rewards. I wish I could do this one every day. Oh and if parts are too muddy you can just walk around those parts...

flooded

I’m sure this hike is amazing during the spring and summer but it was so muddy we didn’t make it more than half a mile before deciding to turn back. Our shoes were soaked through to our socks. We will return to do this when there hasn’t been rain and it’s not so muddy, or we’ll come back with proper waterproof hiking footwear.

This is a 5 star, no-nonsense moderate to challenging, 8.5 mile hike. The views are second to none, but winter conditions and lack of footbridge availability mean fording the Big Sur at entry and departure which could be up to your thighs, if you’re 5’3” like me. You absolutely need the proper, waterproof footwear to keep you safe, comfortable and dry if you plan on doing the entire loop, or even the Bluff Trail out and back as conditions made an otherwise magical excursion quite brutal for the last several miles. All in all, we’ll look back in love, but in the moment, had some frustrating obstacles. Bon voyage!

The bridge at the beginning is gone and you have to cross 3 feet of strong current. Trail is very muddy.

Great loop with views throughout. If you are reading this within a few days of me writing this, I highly recommend you take the loop counter clockwise as we did. The climb up from the coastal bluffs was very tricky due to slick mud and erosion-descending down this in a clockwise manner would have been much much more difficult. In drier conditions I prefer the more popular clockwise route, but not at the present with all the recent rains. Water level at creek crossing is up to the middle of my thigh and I’m 6’ tall! Enjoy!

fee
flooded

It was a good one but not the best :)