Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail

Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

1 hour ago

Easy hike, good for after work, which is exactly what we did.

Hiked 6/18/18 on a Monday. It was a nice hike to Lake Ramona. Beginning shaded and flat. When you reach the end of the tree line is the last of the shade and you will also start hiking on a gradual incline. It does get steeper towards the top. When you hit the asphalt the incline is more challenging. There are nice views along the way and at the top but what we all didn't care for was the water station, the power lines, the electric station, and the guard rail at the top. I understand they are necessary, it just took away from the beauty of nature. Bring your water and sunscreen. parking not a problem and easy to find.

Great hike. Loved it. Good parking.

Great local hike. We turned it into just under 8 miles out and back by following the fire road at the top of the Lake Ramona dam all the way to the yellow gate at the other end. Not very many people around for a Saturday is a plus. It's a very steep climb to the dam. Great views of Lake Poway and Lake Ramona.

First part of the trail is nice and flat. If you choose to take creekside trail, there are more trees and shades. Dogs are allowed only on the main trail, which has somewhat shade.
Second part of the hike has no shade, and constant uphill. Last part was paved road to go up on the dam which was steeper uphill.
You don't want to go there when it's very hot.
Otherwise, it's not very crowded and well maintained. a lot of parking spaces, and some picnic benches in blue sky reserve.

This is a great hike that loops around Lake Poway. Once you reach Lake Poway you have to continue on the trail that leads up to Potato Chip Rock and then turn left when the signs tell you. There was a covered picnic area on the backside of the lake along with a porter potty. I parked at the Blue Sky Reserve but it fills up fast!! There is no street parking so if you arrive and find there are no spots and don't want to wait for someone to leave, you can drive to Lake Poway and start the trail there. Half shaded, half in the open.

Plenty of big oak trees = shade!

I've done most of Blue Sky and this was a lovely hike. The last 1/2 mile up to the lake sucks (it's just a paved road with a steep grade). Beginners may find this the hardest aspect of the trail. As it is steep going up, I don't really recommend running down. Once we got to the end of the grade, we trail ran down the mountain (or rather shimmy dance to MJ). Get enough speed down the road and falling is possible. The hike to the lake trail head is really nice and relaxing and there are a ton of off shoots to explore. Blue Sky is a great place to explore a few different terrains. I used it to practice for more intense hikes.

Easy trail with moderate grade climb

Last 1/2 mile to dam is pretty steep! Had to stop and rest a few times.

Not the most exciting or challenging hike, but any trail that ends in a lake will always be fun

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This was a fun one, Blue sky is mostly flat and really transports you to tranquility but get ready to climb some hills when you hit the Lake Ramona trailhead. It was about 83 degrees when I did this( felt more like 90) and that made it pretty hard. There are only a few spots of shade and it's near the top. I recommend doing this in the early morning/ later in the day when it's cooled off. Make sure your kids stay near you, I didn't bring my son on this one, but I can imagine him taking a tumble. While this trail is pretty wide, if you peer over the edge its a long way down. When I got to the top there was a porta-potty and I found a relatively flat rock to sit on and look out at the lake. Coming down was a bit hard on my knees, but manageable. Do the creekside trail that veers to the left, its peaceful and the birds are singing, it add's almost nothing on to your total distance and meets up with the main trail. Worth it!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Others are right....it gets pretty steep 1.5 miles in. Early in the trail take a detour off to the "creek side trail"....it is marked and rejoins the main "road" in a short time. Watch for some spider webs crossing the creek side trail if you are first in the morning on it.....it is a tight trail.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Pretty good hike. I would rate this hike as moderate. The first half is very easy, flat, and has lots of shade. The second half is all up hill with some long inclined sections. The second half also offers no protection from the sun.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Nice variety of terrain, changes from dirt trail to rocky to asphalt as you reach Lake Ramona. Big elevation change once on pavement. The trail itself is fine, I felt like I was walking on a road the entire time and that's not my jam. Parking is limited.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

This hike is rated easy, which is true for the first half. The inclines to the lake after the halfway point were challenging for me because I'm new to hiking. It was worth the extra stops and breaks to get to the Lake.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Nice hike with great views throughout the trail. I'm definitely going back.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Decent hike to the Ramona lake. I will go back to try the Poway loop and shorter trails.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Great hike to start getting back into hiking.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

MUST READ: warning to hikers! When we were finished with our hike this morning around 10:40am, we were just 0.2 miles from the parking lot we came around a bend and encountered a grown man ahead of us, walking in slow circles, completely NAKED, and masturbating in the middle of the trail in full sun! He didn't care that we saw him and he started walking towards us. Not knowing what to do we back tracked to stay far enough away and lost sight of him. Called 911 immediately! We waited for enough hikers to gather up and the group of us walked passed where the man had been but he was long gone. We were very grateful for the Poway police, firemen, ambulance, and even a helicopter who searched for him within 15-30 mins of our call. I was with a dog and another friend but I worry about anyone hiking alone anywhere. For that reason alone I will probably avoid this trail for a while. I thought I was paranoid before about wild cats!!! Otherwise, I give the trail 4 stars since it's a beautiful scenic hike but very hot in full sun.

The first mile is in and out of the shade of trees, but after that its full sun and up hills (left to lake ramona or right to lake Poway). Its a lot of spots with sand so my shoes had a lot of sand in them after a total of 4 miles. It was just too hot for my dog so we turned back before we got to lake Ramona. Bring plenty of water, a collapsable bowl for dogs, (gave her water every mile) and sun screen+hat!

Friday, April 22, 2016

Spectacular. My fiancé and I want to take our engagement photos on parts of the trail

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

It was a beautiful hike, but missed a turn and ended up on slot of rocky hilly trails which were not expected... Next time I will definitely try to stay on route :o)

Friday, April 01, 2016

Nice hiking trail with some steep parts. My 8 year old boy loved it! We would love to come back!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Easy hike, saw plenty of runners and folks with their dogs along. Porta potties available at either end and along the way, the final climb to the dam is paved. Nice way to spend an hour (running) or two (walking & talking).

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Hot and dry. Stream is completely dried up.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Cool hike, nice view in beginning, but then if you park at Blue sky and walk to were it says a sign on left to poway laje, there is a nice little picnic area a slight ways down with a stream, but after that the hard part comes, there's the poway dam, and if ya wanna see poway Lake ,ya gotta climb and giant stretch of a hill, with no shade or resting spot..it's hard for the litter ones or elderly folks and dogs. but once to the top there is a sitting area with a beautiful view of poway lake

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Not sure where the hike officially begins but if you park in the Blue Sky parking lot, the hike is around 5.75 miles (round trip) rather than 4.5 according to my phone's gps. The first mile or so is a flat wide trail shaded by oak trees. Beyond that, there is no shade until you get to the lake.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Beautiful riparian woodland area. Easy fun hike for the whole family and ideal for the beginning hiker.