Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail

Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Blue Sky Reserve is a 2.4 mile trail located near Poway, California. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

I've done most of Blue Sky and this was a lovely hike. The last 1/2 mile up to the lake sucks (it's just a paved road with a steep grade). Beginners may find this the hardest aspect of the trail. As it is steep going up, I don't really recommend running down. Once we got to the end of the grade, we trail ran down the mountain (or rather shimmy dance to MJ). Get enough speed down the road and falling is possible. The hike to the lake trail head is really nice and relaxing and there are a ton of off shoots to explore. Blue Sky is a great place to explore a few different terrains. I used it to practice for more intense hikes.

Easy trail with moderate grade climb

Last 1/2 mile to dam is pretty steep! Had to stop and rest a few times.

Not the most exciting or challenging hike, but any trail that ends in a lake will always be fun

This was a fun one, Blue sky is mostly flat and really transports you to tranquility but get ready to climb some hills when you hit the Lake Ramona trailhead. It was about 83 degrees when I did this( felt more like 90) and that made it pretty hard. There are only a few spots of shade and it's near the top. I recommend doing this in the early morning/ later in the day when it's cooled off. Make sure your kids stay near you, I didn't bring my son on this one, but I can imagine him taking a tumble. While this trail is pretty wide, if you peer over the edge its a long way down. When I got to the top there was a porta-potty and I found a relatively flat rock to sit on and look out at the lake. Coming down was a bit hard on my knees, but manageable. Do the creekside trail that veers to the left, its peaceful and the birds are singing, it add's almost nothing on to your total distance and meets up with the main trail. Worth it!

Others are right....it gets pretty steep 1.5 miles in. Early in the trail take a detour off to the "creek side trail"....it is marked and rejoins the main "road" in a short time. Watch for some spider webs crossing the creek side trail if you are first in the morning on it.....it is a tight trail.

Pretty good hike. I would rate this hike as moderate. The first half is very easy, flat, and has lots of shade. The second half is all up hill with some long inclined sections. The second half also offers no protection from the sun.

Nice variety of terrain, changes from dirt trail to rocky to asphalt as you reach Lake Ramona. Big elevation change once on pavement. The trail itself is fine, I felt like I was walking on a road the entire time and that's not my jam. Parking is limited.