Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail

Blue Sky Reserve to Ramona Lake Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Blue Sky Reserve is a 2.4 mile trail located near Poway, California. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

I've done most of Blue Sky and this was a lovely hike. The last 1/2 mile up to the lake sucks (it's just a paved road with a steep grade). Beginners may find this the hardest aspect of the trail. As it is steep going up, I don't really recommend running down. Once we got to the end of the grade, we trail ran down the mountain (or rather shimmy dance to MJ). Get enough speed down the road and falling is possible. The hike to the lake trail head is really nice and relaxing and there are a ton of off shoots to explore. Blue Sky is a great place to explore a few different terrains. I used it to practice for more intense hikes.

Easy trail with moderate grade climb

Last 1/2 mile to dam is pretty steep! Had to stop and rest a few times.

Not the most exciting or challenging hike, but any trail that ends in a lake will always be fun

This was a fun one, Blue sky is mostly flat and really transports you to tranquility but get ready to climb some hills when you hit the Lake Ramona trailhead. It was about 83 degrees when I did this( felt more like 90) and that made it pretty hard. There are only a few spots of shade and it's near the top. I recommend doing this in the early morning/ later in the day when it's cooled off. Make sure your kids stay near you, I didn't bring my son on this one, but I can imagine him taking a tumble. While this trail is pretty wide, if you peer over the edge its a long way down. When I got to the top there was a porta-potty and I found a relatively flat rock to sit on and look out at the lake. Coming down was a bit hard on my knees, but manageable. Do the creekside trail that veers to the left, its peaceful and the birds are singing, it add's almost nothing on to your total distance and meets up with the main trail. Worth it!

Others are right....it gets pretty steep 1.5 miles in. Early in the trail take a detour off to the "creek side trail"....it is marked and rejoins the main "road" in a short time. Watch for some spider webs crossing the creek side trail if you are first in the morning on it.....it is a tight trail.

Pretty good hike. I would rate this hike as moderate. The first half is very easy, flat, and has lots of shade. The second half is all up hill with some long inclined sections. The second half also offers no protection from the sun.

Nice variety of terrain, changes from dirt trail to rocky to asphalt as you reach Lake Ramona. Big elevation change once on pavement. The trail itself is fine, I felt like I was walking on a road the entire time and that's not my jam. Parking is limited.

This hike is rated easy, which is true for the first half. The inclines to the lake after the halfway point were challenging for me because I'm new to hiking. It was worth the extra stops and breaks to get to the Lake.

Nice hike with great views throughout the trail. I'm definitely going back.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Decent hike to the Ramona lake. I will go back to try the Poway loop and shorter trails.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

Great

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Great hike to start getting back into hiking.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

MUST READ: warning to hikers! When we were finished with our hike this morning around 10:40am, we were just 0.2 miles from the parking lot we came around a bend and encountered a grown man ahead of us, walking in slow circles, completely NAKED, and masturbating in the middle of the trail in full sun! He didn't care that we saw him and he started walking towards us. Not knowing what to do we back tracked to stay far enough away and lost sight of him. Called 911 immediately! We waited for enough hikers to gather up and the group of us walked passed where the man had been but he was long gone. We were very grateful for the Poway police, firemen, ambulance, and even a helicopter who searched for him within 15-30 mins of our call. I was with a dog and another friend but I worry about anyone hiking alone anywhere. For that reason alone I will probably avoid this trail for a while. I thought I was paranoid before about wild cats!!! Otherwise, I give the trail 4 stars since it's a beautiful scenic hike but very hot in full sun.

The first mile is in and out of the shade of trees, but after that its full sun and up hills (left to lake ramona or right to lake Poway). Its a lot of spots with sand so my shoes had a lot of sand in them after a total of 4 miles. It was just too hot for my dog so we turned back before we got to lake Ramona. Bring plenty of water, a collapsable bowl for dogs, (gave her water every mile) and sun screen+hat!

Friday, April 22, 2016

Spectacular. My fiancé and I want to take our engagement photos on parts of the trail

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

It was a beautiful hike, but missed a turn and ended up on slot of rocky hilly trails which were not expected... Next time I will definitely try to stay on route :o)

Friday, April 01, 2016

Nice hiking trail with some steep parts. My 8 year old boy loved it! We would love to come back!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Easy hike, saw plenty of runners and folks with their dogs along. Porta potties available at either end and along the way, the final climb to the dam is paved. Nice way to spend an hour (running) or two (walking & talking).

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Hot and dry. Stream is completely dried up.