Blue Sky Reserve to Mount Woodson Trail

Blue Sky Reserve to Mount Woodson Trail is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Blue Sky Reserve to Mt. Woodson to Iron Mt Out and Back is an out and back trail located near Poway, California. The trail is rated as moderate.

I enjoyed this hike and ALMOST made it to the peak, BUT, needed to turn around with about a mile left since I was fighting sunset cutoff for the parking lot. Since this was my first hike from this starting location, I wasn't sure how strict the park is with closing the parking lot gates. Bummer, because I was so close. Next time, I'll leave more time (I started about about 4pm and that was too late. Parking is free from this location. I do recommend hiking poles and running the flat sections if you're into that sort of thing (I am). I had about 2 liters of water with me and on a cooler day, this is fine for me. I did have a recording for this hike, but something happened and it cancelled out, so I no longer have it. I will upload photos when I get to them.

This was a great hike make sure to bring plenty of water!

Very enjoyable trail overall. but I'd classify the traffic as high. Quite the gathering of people at the top waiting for photo opportunities. There is a good deal of climbing as the terrain profile suggests; however, it's fairly gradual overall.

Great in the rain. Tried to record the hike but the app kept glitching. Probably won't be using it for that anymore.

Great hike. The main thing that lessens it is that it is way too crowded.

I will never understand why any hike that involves Mt. Woodson is rated as moderate. I hike very frequently (2-5 a week) and I'm in good shape, but that first mile or so of incline is KILLER. Anyways, this was a great hike (: I enjoyed the Blue Sky extension instead of the normal walk around Lake Poway to get to the Mt. Woodson trailhead, as you get to walk through some pretty oak trees. It ended up being a little under 12 miles for me, and took four hours total. Good workout, beautiful views, and a well maintained trail... just be sure to bring water!

This trail is a round trip of about 6-7 miles. On the first half you climb a pretty step incline on paved road. It literally kicked my butt. I had to stop every 15-20 steps to catch my breath & give my legs rest. Now, I'm in the worst shape of my life. Still, that incline is a killer

This trail ends up being like a mile less on my route even though I follow it pretty close, I don't know what's up with that. So everything is pretty moderate until about 1 mile then after that it starts going uphill for the rest of the time until you reach the summit. I would rate this at a higher level of difficulty for this particular route than as it is currently rated. Also I've gotten turned around every time I've gone here and missed a turn or turned somewhere I wasn't supposed to go because the markers aren't that great. I've kept having to pull this app out to make sure I'm going the right way. Make sure to bring plenty of water, I bring my 2 liter camelbak and haven't drank it all but I've drank a lot of it, but I do go beyond this trail route and run some more miles. It beats having to pay $5 at Lake Poway. It also isn't too crowded until you meet with the potato chippers who came from Lake Poway, probably about 2 miles in.