Blue Sky Reserve to Mount Woodson Trail

Blue Sky Reserve to Mount Woodson Trail is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Blue Sky Reserve to Mt. Woodson to Iron Mt Out and Back is an out and back trail located near Poway, California. The trail is rated as moderate.

Great in the rain. Tried to record the hike but the app kept glitching. Probably won't be using it for that anymore.

Great hike. The main thing that lessens it is that it is way too crowded.

I will never understand why any hike that involves Mt. Woodson is rated as moderate. I hike very frequently (2-5 a week) and I'm in good shape, but that first mile or so of incline is KILLER. Anyways, this was a great hike (: I enjoyed the Blue Sky extension instead of the normal walk around Lake Poway to get to the Mt. Woodson trailhead, as you get to walk through some pretty oak trees. It ended up being a little under 12 miles for me, and took four hours total. Good workout, beautiful views, and a well maintained trail... just be sure to bring water!

This trail is a round trip of about 6-7 miles. On the first half you climb a pretty step incline on paved road. It literally kicked my butt. I had to stop every 15-20 steps to catch my breath & give my legs rest. Now, I'm in the worst shape of my life. Still, that incline is a killer

This trail ends up being like a mile less on my route even though I follow it pretty close, I don't know what's up with that. So everything is pretty moderate until about 1 mile then after that it starts going uphill for the rest of the time until you reach the summit. I would rate this at a higher level of difficulty for this particular route than as it is currently rated. Also I've gotten turned around every time I've gone here and missed a turn or turned somewhere I wasn't supposed to go because the markers aren't that great. I've kept having to pull this app out to make sure I'm going the right way. Make sure to bring plenty of water, I bring my 2 liter camelbak and haven't drank it all but I've drank a lot of it, but I do go beyond this trail route and run some more miles. It beats having to pay $5 at Lake Poway. It also isn't too crowded until you meet with the potato chippers who came from Lake Poway, probably about 2 miles in.

Great views!! A hot day but nice hike. Did it on a Friday so not too busy. Big sky to potato chip rock, to the peak of Woodson (radio towers so can't really get there), then back, around lake poway on the south and back up to blue sky. Just under 12 miles total and about 2400 feet in elevation gain. Not too shabby! :)

Yeah this was a tough hike with a 8 year old we had to carry the whole way and our fishing gear... It was an amazing hike though.... didn't catch anything other than a sunburn hahaha.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016