Blue Sky Canyon Trail

Blue Sky Canyon Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Poway, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

this Trail is great for running... I prefer to go to the right around the lake. there is a small Trail close to the water that you can take around part of the lake that's pretty interesting and doesn't look like a big road. That's where the fisherman go and there's less people. on the way back you can go up to Lake Ramona which is about another mile and a half up.. i clocked 8.5ish

I love going here and taking my pup. It's nice cause it has some shady spots in the valley to stop to let him rest for a bit no no where really for people to sit which is fine. You do need to get their early for parking on the weekends but the weekdays are not so bad. They also have hiking events and knowledgable volunteers that you'll see walking the trails sometimes. They're friendly and happy to answer questions about this trail and others in the area. It was fun cause we've seen deer on multiple occasions which threw my pup for a loop since he'd never seen one. This is a regular spot for us!

I arrived early to be sure I got a parking spot at the Blue Sky Reserve as it fills up fast and there is no street parking available. After the first mile you have the option of heading towards Lake Poway or to continue straight. Continue straight and that will lead you up to Lake Ramona. Be prepared for a tough incline with no shade!! The last 1/4 mile is a straight shot up on concrete so if you bring you dogs, please go early as the concrete gets hot. Once we reached the lake we continued walking down the road along the lake. We eventually turned around when it didn't seem to be leading anywhere. Very pretty!! Be sure to arrive early and bring plenty of water.

Nice moderate hike. Good incline to make you feel like you did something. I would call the Blue sky ecological preserve a hidden gem. More crowded around Lake Poway but to be expected with the parking lot and snack shop. Too much dog poop around the lake trail. Lots of interesting birding and around on the trail. We then saw baby rattlesnake. It wasn’t too hot today so, it was very doable. In the heat of summer this would be not as much fun. Will come back again and do lake Ramona from this entryway.

Great little hike. The parking lot fills up quickly but other than that, it is great. The trail is well maintained and the first part is walking through oak trees next to an ephemeral stream and is well shaded. The middle part of the trail is a hike through chaparrel up to the damn, this section is a bit steep and exposed to the sun but isn't difficult. The last part is a nice jaunt around the lake on a dirt trail. Overall a very good experience.

(Beautiful trail and beautiful hike but too much dog poop)The trails are really nice it’s very nice if you go early in the morning as there is not a lot of people on the trails. My one complaint is that there is a lot of dog feces throughout the entire trail in the middle of the path. It’s unfortunate but there is more poop on this trail then all the trails I have ever walked combined. It’s pretty sad the people they’re probably allow this are the people who use it the most. I hiked the trail twice but I will not come back because there is too much dog poop on the trails and is not a healthy environment.

the trails are maintained very well. this a beautiful walk with a few hills to get up. Wish others would pick up after their dogs.

This was a very pleasant walk. It is easy with only one slight incline. There are lots of places to picnic and also a snack shack on Lake Poway when you can get a hot dog and a cold drink and watch the ducks. You can also branch off and go to Lake Ramona, Woodson Lake and Potato Chip Rock from this trail.

I like this trail because is perfect for when we take our dogs the trails are well kept

Great trail! Beautiful lake!

Nice trail we took the way to Ramona for about a mile and then we turn around
Is moderate climb beautiful views

I saw quite a few wildflowers which I love, but wasn't a fan of the climb up to Lake Ramona. Once you climb up to the lake you still have to walk sways to find a path down to the water.

Friday, May 05, 2017

This is a nice route for 5+ miles. You get 500 ft+ in climbing and an enjoyable trail with nice views around the lake. I will try the opposite direction next time on the loop to see if I can up to 800 ft in climbing as stated in the specs.

*update*
I went counterclockwise and still got roughly the same climb amount as the clockwise route... I'm getting around 550 so not sure why 800 is listed, my route seems to match the one here.

Also I notice people mentioning lake ramona which means if they are following this route they went the wrong way and forgot to turn right. The climb to Lake Poway which is what this route is, is not as steep as the Lake Ramona climb. So you are in for a big climb if you missed the turn.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Really enjoyable hike. You see a bunch of different kinds of landscapes. I liked the various hills and they weren't too strenuous. Be prepared for a lot of fellow travelers unless you go early in the morning.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

This is one of my favorite to do with a weighted vest. Good workout and not too hard on the knees with the added weight.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

I'm here most Sundays. It's hot early in the morning late spring-fall but it's, scenic, the terrain gives you a good workout, there are port a potties on the trail & a visitors center at one corner of the lake.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Fun hike with a lot to see. Parking lot can fill up quick on busy days. Lots of shade and rest areas along the way. Free to park! Unlike lake Poway park.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Very nice hike with a lot of Riparian Oaks which I like. A little confusing at times bc trails aren't all marked especially around the lake itself. The lake loop is gorgeous. Two thumbs up even though I got overheated at mile 5. We hiked at 1:00 and it was at least 90 degrees. So there's that.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Tough but worth it! Not a lot of shade so go early.

Friday, July 08, 2016

great hike! definitely worth the time which was longer than my anticipated 2 hrs. we didn't complete loop and it was 7 miles to Lake Ramona 1/3 way around and back down!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

I have hiked here with family and friends as well as our dogs on numerous occasions. The trail is well maintained, there are real bathrooms both at a midway point and up at the lake as well as a snack bar. It can get hot and there is limited shade once you start your ascent up to the lake so take plenty of water and sunscreen. This will always be a go to hike for me, park at Blue Sky Ecological parking lot, never had any problems here.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Loved this gorgeous trail up to Lake Poway with my lab. I did two miles to the lake and back for a total of 4 miles at 31 weeks pregnant. Steep half mile winding path up-hill to the lake but the view is worth the burn! Bring sunscreen and water and a collapsable bowl for your pup. Once you start going up there is little shade so I bet it gets stupid hot in the summer. I didn't see any bathrooms but I will do this hike over and over and try the other trails as well as go during sunset.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Love this hike! Beautiful and peaceful!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

good cardio! trail to and around Poway lake is great and very beautiful. very active trail.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

An easy hike with shade and some elevation

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Nice hike.

Saturday, January 04, 2014

Blue Sky was fun to do once. I prefer nature trails to access roads which is one reason I don't plan on going back. The power lines were the other deterrent.
There is a steep incline for maybe .25 or .5 miles that would be difficult for children, older adults, or some one who was out of shape. Wear a hat and sunscreen--there are no trees for shade.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

I took the route to the Poway dam. Good mix of wooded and open space, with all the usual wildlife.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Good not all that scenic but has some great views from the dam. If you go to the top of the dam and look to you left you can climb up to the top of the peak and that is where you can see a good portion of San Diego on the right day.