Learn more

Blue Angels Peak Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jacumba, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 5.7 mi Elevation gain 1,430 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (49)
Recordings (14)
Completed (43)
Denise Milbauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 19, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble

This is the most insanely ridiculous trail I think I have ever been on. After hiking uphill for about 2.9 miles, I got up to the spot where the trails leave the road. Unfortunately I couldn’t see it because there were several off road vehicles parked in front of it with people as well. So I walked down, looked at the all trails map again and realized my mistake, so I walked back up the hill again. There is kind of a resemblance of a trail off and on until...? I had to scramble up and over boulders, around chaparral and the occasional dwarf pine tree. I finally reached another ridge and saw more giant wind mills to the south. I think I was looking at Mexico. The all trails map said I was going off trail again, so I turned around and came back. It is a constant uphill climb. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. You seriously need to download the map before you get out there because there are so many paths you can go on and end up totally somewhere else you were not expecting. You are basically hiking uphill on washed out dirt roads with tons of people driving their off road vehicles and the occasional border patrol. I am definitely not coming back here. Also, bring tons of water and snacks, you are going to need it.

View Denise's Recording
Stacye R.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 24, 2018
Hiking

Thumbs down for this hills have eyes hike. Intuition kept telling me to turn back. Especially when I save a molester van with evidence someone is living in it. I highly do not recommend Blue Angel Peak. #notafan Even with my ferocious dog. This hike is sketchy AF.

Rich O
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 12, 2018
Hiking

Bagged summit today. Couldn’t find a register but did find the survey marker. The other descriptions here were misleading IMO. The 4x4 road comes within about half a mile of the summit, as the crow flies, and the default gps track does not go to the summit. I drove about a mile up the dirt road then parked because I didn’t think my truck could make the next hill. From there it was 2.5 miles to the summit - the first 1.8 was on the dirt road.

Katherine Griffith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 3, 2016

A fun afternoon out and in. Unless you have the AllTrails map up and following it, it could be easy to get lost because the trail goes in tons of directions. There are lots of cool views of California and Mexico and really neat rock formations. You could even do some small amounts of bouldering on a few big rocks if you are into that. I was driving a mini van so I walked from parking area to the trail head which is an additional 0.7miles. Unless you have 4 wheel drive I don't recommend trying to drive up the the trail head.

David Herman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2016
Hiking

Good and rugged terrain - best to have a 4x4 or at least a high clearance vehicle to get up the road from Old Highway 80. Having map and compass are a must, and Jerry Schad's description of the approach to the summit is a bit sketchy. Climbed it in November 2015, very little human presence except for a Border Patrol truck and some guys trying to get a Nissan Pathfinder up the 4x4 road.

Bill Sanders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2015
First to Review

This hike is challenging for several reasons. First off, from where you park you cant see the Blue Angel peak because its obscured by several false peaks, and instead you think that its a nice short peak, when in fact its really not.Next time I'll print out an Alltrails TOPO map for reference as it took me a liitle before i could identify which peak was BA. Its also challenging because there are a myriad of trails out there splitting off to different peaks in all directions. And although and I did have a hiking book for reference ( Afoot and Afield in San Diego County by Jerry Schad) i never did make it to the BA summit after hiking for 2.5 miles towards the summit, according to the track i recorded and uploaded ( titled apr212015.) I got close but couldnt find a trail to get me to the summit. And according to Jerry Schad its approx 2.5 miles to the summit. So i clearly went the wrong way. I plan on attempting this again in the future and trying a different route. The hike itself is moderatly strenous because your ascending 90% of the time. Also, it was HELLA Windy. He describes this place as one of the windiest places in Southern Cali. It was very gusty and blew my big floppy hat off several times. He also points out the BA peak is the highest point in 'Alta' California, whatever that means. I did manage to summit a peak just below the BA peak and discovered some old retangular shaped decaying cinder block building perched with a great view of the smaller peaks below hovering over the wind-turbine covered desert floor. The BA Peak is visible in the picture shot from inside the cinderblock structure looking out.I uploaded several pics to document my hike. Im disappointed i didnt make the summit as i ran out of time. But I'm looking forward to trying again.

Kenny Miranda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
View Kenny's Recording
Hippie Long stockings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 22, 2020
View Hippie's Recording
Wesley Capps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 16, 2020
View Wesley's Recording
Dana Ambruzs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 6, 2019
View Dana's Recording
Kimberly StClair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2019
View Kimberly's Recording
Adam Zimmerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2018
View Adam's Recording
Katherine Griffith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 2, 2016
View Katherine's Recording
Tani Mendez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 14, 2016
View Tani's Recording