Black Rock Canyon Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yucca Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 400 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Moderately trafficked. At a few high points, the views are decent. We ended up going half way into the Paronama Loop before turning back.

Pretty trail with nice views at top. Would not rate as hard.

Trailhead can be tricky to find; there is a small sign to the left of Site 30 where the trail begins from the road. Don't go into the campsite. :) 5-6" of snow fell the days before we did this hike, so the trail was a mixed bag of packed sand, snow, and slush. Combined with the gradual incline of the trail, it made it an "Easy" hike on the day we hiked it. (The rangers told us that it was normally a fairly deep sand trail, which is why I'm guessing that it has a Moderate rating.) The views in both directions are incredible, and with the snow it was even more so. I wished that we had time to do one of the "Add On" loops but this was really great in and of itself. Lots of joshua trees and beautiful rock formations; birds were the only animals active during our time there. Rabbit tracks were in the snow, but none were out & about.

Enjoyed it! Lots of J trees and fun rocks along the way. The second half is mostly sand. Bunnies, birds, and a tiny snake spotted.

Fri Feb 08 2019

great hike. went counter clockwise. ...might be a tad harder.

Mon Jan 01 2018

Wonderful hike, highly recommended!

It’s beautiful! Thousands and thousands of butterflies and lady bugs, so much your walking through them!!! Beautiful even for young kids!

Sat Oct 14 2017

I chose this trail due to its proximity to Morongo Valley and I’m so glad I did. While I am an experienced hiker, I did this hike with a newbie— my five year old niece, who loves to hike and is a Palm Springs native. We started just before 9am, and finished shortly after 12 noon. We had frequent stops. First, to eat our lunch 1/2 a mile in... She was hungry...kids are always hungry. Then to see all the animals, which she insisted on counting. I taught her how to follow a trail, how to navigate bees safely, and how to avoid stepping in horse dung! Hahaha! When I told her she had completed her first mile, she was so excited and proud of herself. She said, “I want another one.” Lucky for her, we had two more to go. We stopped to drink water, to stretch , take in the views. And, when she finally finished... She was so excited— she probably could have kept going. But, we opted to celebrate with milkshakes instead. It gets hot, so, I would advise bringing lots of water, sunglasses, and if you’re as lucky as we were, it’ll be a breezy day that will cut down the heat significantly.

Wed Mar 08 2017

Peaceful, great hike.

Mon Jan 02 2017

A great network of trails that span all the terrain, good elevation changes. Different hiking than in the park. Strongly recommend.

Sat Nov 12 2016

Small hike with little incline, about 1.5 miles , great view

Mon Feb 03 2014

Great little hike with a fantastic view of San Jacinto Peak! I parked at the Black Rock ranger station and walked to the trailhead, due east and then cut north when you hit the T. People also park at the trailhead. There are maps for free at the ranger station and also a map on the board at the trailhead. It is called the "Panorama Loop" now. You first walk through the canyon and then do the loop. Easy to follow. You are rewarded with great views for a pretty easy hike.

recorded Black Rock Canyon Trail