Black Rock Canyon Trail

Black Rock Canyon Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yucca Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

It’s beautiful! Thousands and thousands of butterflies and lady bugs, so much your walking through them!!! Beautiful even for young kids!

I chose this trail due to its proximity to Morongo Valley and I’m so glad I did. While I am an experienced hiker, I did this hike with a newbie— my five year old niece, who loves to hike and is a Palm Springs native. We started just before 9am, and finished shortly after 12 noon. We had frequent stops. First, to eat our lunch 1/2 a mile in... She was hungry...kids are always hungry. Then to see all the animals, which she insisted on counting. I taught her how to follow a trail, how to navigate bees safely, and how to avoid stepping in horse dung! Hahaha! When I told her she had completed her first mile, she was so excited and proud of herself. She said, “I want another one.” Lucky for her, we had two more to go. We stopped to drink water, to stretch , take in the views. And, when she finally finished... She was so excited— she probably could have kept going. But, we opted to celebrate with milkshakes instead. It gets hot, so, I would advise bringing lots of water, sunglasses, and if you’re as lucky as we were, it’ll be a breezy day that will cut down the heat significantly.

Peaceful, great hike.

A great network of trails that span all the terrain, good elevation changes. Different hiking than in the park. Strongly recommend.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Small hike with little incline, about 1.5 miles , great view

Monday, February 03, 2014

Great little hike with a fantastic view of San Jacinto Peak! I parked at the Black Rock ranger station and walked to the trailhead, due east and then cut north when you hit the T. People also park at the trailhead. There are maps for free at the ranger station and also a map on the board at the trailhead. It is called the "Panorama Loop" now. You first walk through the canyon and then do the loop. Easy to follow. You are rewarded with great views for a pretty easy hike.

Sunday, May 22, 2016