Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Black Mountain via PG&E, Quarry and Black Mountain Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(213)
Rancho San Antonio County Park

Black Mountain via PG&E, Quarry and Black Mountain Trail is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cupertino, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,146 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Busy during Shelter In Place. Good workout.

Decent hike for work out. Lot of wild animals as well. But you see electricity wires, mines etc on the way which isn't a good feeling. Wouldn't recommend for nature lovers. Took me 5 hours to complete.

Just completed Oct 2019. I arrived 7:45am on a Saturday and the car parks were already full so bear that in mind. It’s a fun trail and a very good workout. The first 3 miles up is on a wide track and is busy with people. The last 2 miles to the summit is on a narrower, more interesting trail which is wooded and very steep in places. Remember to look behind you for the views. When you get to the top, there is a communications installation that is pretty ugly but walk an extra quarter of a mile or so (keeping the masts on your right) and the hillside opens up with views all round. The wide track section gets a little boring on the way back down but that’s out and back trail routes for you.

Great workout hike! Views are pretty, a lot of shade, not crowded at all.

A lot of shade to protect you from sunburn. Like it! Great trail for Sep and Oct. Parking is easy in the early morning.

This is a great hike in Spring time. It’s pretty exposed so I would definitely bring a lot of sunscreen and a hat if doing it in summer and start extremely early. We started around 6am and it still got very hot by the end of it. One of the best steep hikes that’s close by to the cities.

It’s open now. I hiked today and it’s a nice trial to the morning hike.

Tue May 14 2019

Completed this hike on May 12, 2019 in approximately five hours which included stopping for photos and figuring out the route we wanted to take. My wife and I completed this as a loop. We started at approximately 9:30 from the parking lot and hit the following trails Parking lot --> Lower Meadow --> Deer Hollow --> Rogue Valley --> Chamise --> Black Mountain --> Quarry --> Upper High Meadow --> Lower Meadow --> Parking. We started a bit late and the sun was brutal on us particularly in the quarry trail. Parking was not too difficult between 9:00 - 9:30 but would definitely recommend starting earlier if possible. There a definitely some challenging hills on the Black mountain trail but it's a great training hike. There is not much scenery or beauty on this hike as you get to the higher elevations in my personal opinion. The isolation and lack of humans though is pretty nice considering you are doing this in the bay area, we hardly saw people post rogue valley till we hit the end of the quarry trail. Be well hydrated and carry at least one or two energy bars or snacks.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Pretty good hike, good elevation gain and the climb is broken up a good amount by small portions of downhill. It gets hot so going early is helpful as well as for the parking spot 4/14/2019

Sat Apr 13 2019

If you like to spend a lot of time in the backcountry this is a good trail for training. I registered 14 miles and roughly 3,200 ft in total elevation gain. We arrived after 10:00 am and ended up having to walk an extra mile to the trailhead since the closest parking was full. A nice thing about the trail is there was a good amount of tree coverage along the way so you don't spend the whole hike baking in the sun like you do on a lot of the peak trails in the Bay. This is a fun one if you are in reasonable shape.

Wed Oct 10 2018

Really enjoyed this hike. Took about 4hrs to complete. Started at 7:30am..

Mon Sep 24 2018

Did the hike this afternoon. Was planning on just doing the PG&E trail but said what the hell when I reached the top. I left at 4:10 and reached the top of PG&E in just over an hour. I jogged about 40% of the way. Thought it was a bit late and was short on water but figured I could do another 2 miles without too much difficulty. The trail narrowed and was steep from the get go. I'm 54 and can keep a decent pace (I think). I met two young girls along the way and was surprised at their speed but one said she ran x-country for her high school. We decided to go to the top together despite the late hour. I was concerned about possibly having my car stuck inside the gate over night if we got back too late. 1 mile from top of PG&E took about 35 mins. I thought it was a butt kicker. We could see the radio towers a good 3/4 mile from the top and I was about to turn around, thinking we wouldn't make it back til 8-8:30. The young girls proceeded...I wasn't going to drive home with a gut wrenching feeling of defeat so decided to finish it. We made it to the towers at about 6:15. A good very tough hour for the last two miles. We high fived and took a few pics and promptly headed down. We kept a good pace. I was depleted of water but one of the girls gladly filled my empty bottle. Due to the steepness it was nearly impossible to run. Made it back to the top of PG&E just after 7. We returned via Wild Cat and were finally able to pick our speed up after a 1/4 mile or so. We were trotting at a good pace as the sun had set and the full moon came into full view shortly thereafter. It was dark at the top of Wild Cat and we needed our flash lights. Too dark, steep and tired to run by then. We went through the farm and finally made it back to the parking lot just before 8 where I was greeted by an angry Ranger Ken who proceeded to give me a lecture, along with a 45.00 ticket for being late. I didn't give a shit. Was glad I went to the top and happy the girls gave me the extra push I needed. This hike is 12 miles from the parking lot. I would call it bit of a butt kicker. Doing Whitney in a few weeks so this was a good practice run, albeit not at elevation.

Mon Sep 17 2018

To reach black mountain, there are three prominent trails. One is via hidden villa, second one is via Rhus ridge and the third one is via PG&E trail. This trail (3rd) is less common due to the elevation gain being close to 3200 feet and is 12 miles total hiking distance. It is a good hike and gets challenging on the last two miles of ascent i.e. 5th and 6th mile. This hike is a must do in bay area before going to Yosemite hikes like upper yosemite waterfall hike or four mile hike etc. When you reach the top, don't get dishearten by the communication towers. Rather, take the monte bello road towards the opening and you will be pleasantly surprised with the view of pacific ocean to west, San Francisco city to north, Lick's observatory in the east and mnt umunhum in the south. Also, you will get a good view of the silicon bay area. I recommend this hike.

Sun Jul 22 2018

5 stars because it is really hard and exhausting. If you are planning to hike this trail in Summer or Fall start by 5.30 am so that you are back by noon before the scorching heat. Only 15 to 20 percent of the route has shade, rest of the trail is through pastures, bushes and barren land. Carry enough water because there are no water fountains on the trail and not even a bench to sit for a while. For expert hikers this is fun but it is not recommended for novice hikers.

Mon Jun 04 2018

So hard when it is hot...

Sat May 27 2017

It's a great place to hike with lots of trails to choose from.