Black Mountain Truck Trail

Black Mountain Truck Trail is a 14.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Ysabel, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really fun and chill trail did it all in 2wd

off road driving

Fun trail that isn't too far away. The views from the top are outstanding. If you don't want to go all the way up, there's a little outlook about half the way up. Little bumpy, but I didn't 4WD by any means. The very top is small. We went early and only had another truck up there to share with.

off road driving

Kind of bumpy on the way up, but otherwise a very easy ride. It's important that you have some clearance, but otherwise 2 wd will do. The top has great views, but not a lot of space, so it's easy for this place to get packed with just a few cars. For some reason, people feel that they can leave trash up there. Please don't litter, and if you see trash, pick it up. Trash encourages more trash.

First trail in my new (used) jeep. This is a good starter trail with great views, and moderate obstacles (washes potholes etc.) So long as you aren't looking for trouble there aren't any opportunities to get into trouble (i.e. high centered or stuck) if you have reasonable clearance and 4x4.

off road driving

Jan 2, 2017. Hard uphill. Fun downhill.

off road driving

I was there on 9/26/2016 driving my Canyon. it was fun not to bad more like a easy trail good for me , as a beginner. good to know ur aproach angles and departure and height of ur vehicle. definitely going back to do more adventurous riding

Awesome view from the top brush is over grown along the edge had to drive slowly to make sure that I didn't get a custom scratch job from how wide my truck was on the trail.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great trail. Easy terrain and beautiful views at the top. Lotsa incline and looooong. You'll see some birds of prey too.

Monday, March 21, 2016

May 19th 2016 - gates are locked - looks like they've been that way for a while.

Monday, August 12, 2013

This is the most strenuous hike I've done in the area. We crawled out of there, though we weren't hardcore hikers at the time we did this hike. This is an excellent training hike if you are looking to condition for a trip or other event. The hike itself is a little exposed for my taste though as it follows a truck road most of the way up.

I look forward to doing this one again. Hopefully it won't kick my butt next time.