Black Mountain Truck Trail

Black Mountain Truck Trail is a 14.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Ysabel, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Got my first 4x4 (2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee-High Altitude). While still getting familiar with off-roading my buddy and I followed each other (up then down) 7 miles each direction. Had a blast!! Great views and a nice upward windy trail to the top where you can have lunch overlooking the valleys. Some partial spots w/ jagged rocks but nothing any all-terrain tire can’t handle. Did it in 4WD high the whole way, but the majority could be done in 2WD in a truck or SUV with good clearance. Unfortunately I still had the stock (non all-terrain) tires on that day (July 2018) , the jagged rocks took a few half-inch chunks out of my stock tires (265/50/20) so I upgraded them last week to the Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s (same size) and wow...what a difference! Went back on the same trail w/ my wife last week and had the confidence to tackle it with ease. She wasn’t as enthusiastic about the windy and bumpy trail as my friend and I were (ha!), but kudos to her for being a trooper. Fun trail, will do it again in the near future.

off road driving

Good trail for beginners looking to get their feet wet with off-road adventures. I completed it in a stock 2018 Raptor. I used 4H just to give me a bit more stability, but it could have easily been done in 2WD. A truck this wide will get some pin striping and there are some tight turns but I didn't have any issues

The trail is not terribly challenging. You'll need more clearance than your typical car has, but any cross over should do just fine. RAV4's, CRV's, Ford Escapes, Subaru's shouldn't have a problem here, especially if you have AWD variants. There are protruding rocks and ruts so you'll want to mind your speed if you don't have a huge amount of ground clearance to avoid bottoming out. If you have something more capable like a SUV, Jeep or truck, you can carry a bit more speed without worrying about bottoming out.

There are virtually no side trails here, you get to a dead end and head back the way you came with no options to explore much of anything else. I personally find Otay Truck Trail quite a bit more enjoyable. It's longer, better views, and has tons of side trails, many of which can be pretty challenging.

Full Video here: https://youtu.be/yXLEDW6JnNs

off road driving

Great hike to the top of Black Mountain. The trail has a consistent 15-20% grade with a few steep parts near the top. The trail is very exposed with scattered oak trees that offer a respite from the sun. The view at the top is excellent and a lone pine grove rewards you for making it to the top. Bring plenty of water in summer months.

off road driving

Stock 4runner SR5 4x4 made it up with ease. Great little getaway spot away from the city.

Great fun. Easy drive with a great view!

Great trail. I'm in a crosstrek, no lift, grabbers and had no issues. plenty of places to stop to recharge and take in the view. not just a flat grade, plenty of bumps and rocks

off road driving

Took the Subaru up to the top without any problems, any car with a high clearance will make it up easily. Great views from the top of the surrounding forest and lake. Trail had 2 heavy duty gates both of which were open, no signs to say when they may be closed. Likely closed when maintenance is done to the trail since it looked like there was work done near the top. Excellent for dirt bikes and trail running. Took us 2 hours of careful driving (

Fun 4x4 trail.

off road driving

Great trail. didnt use 4 wheel drive at all.

off road driving

Nice moderate trail. Don't necessarily NEED 4WD for the parts I went on. Trail was gated after many miles up, maybe half way. Very nice views and a variety of hillside mixed with shady trees overhead. Wish I could have continued all the way but I did enjoy up until where it was open, wish I recorded GPS so that I can give better reference.

off road driving

Wow! What an awesome ride with amazing views. Went early in the morning and passed six 4x4 enthusiasts trail had places to pull over. Took the dog and did some hiking at the end of the trail. Definitely will add this to the return trip list! Moderate trail did not need 4x4 at all I have a limited wrangler with a 4” lift and oversized tires.

off road driving

Scenic trail, fun to drive and safe to take family. At the top of the mountains there are areas to pull off and passing lanes on the way up. Definitely recommend it! I recommend you take food and drinks being you are a long way up.

off road driving

Nice Sunday drive with my kids. Did not encounter much traffic on the way up or down, only three other vehicles during the time we were there.

off road driving

Great trails, well kept and easy for any 4x4 and most likely 2 wheel drive. Great views of open landscape for miles. Nice size summit for camping, hiking or taking in a lunch.

Had to move over for 3-different truck coming the other way and had plenty of room to do so.

Some loss rock on the road so be careful, they can be sharp and cut a tire.

off road driving

Great day trip. Only a few vehicles on the trail.

Fun trail, but roads are narrow and can scratch the truck, mostly 2wd only needed, hard to see other traffic going up and down

off road driving

not bad. did the trail after 4pm and no other vehicles out there. narrow at times. careful with the turns, had lights on and hand on horn just in case, it's a shared path coming and going. no mirrors out there like some southbay trails to spot on coming vehicles. saw some wild life.

off road driving

The gate was open, drove up and spent the night in the truck. Nice views, deer and turkeys in the valley on the way in. Someone stole the benchmarks and there was no register to be found on the peak.

2wd only needed, very easy with decent tires no clearance needed

Fun day trip from San Diego. Gates to the top are open right now but the one fork through to the north has multiple locks on it and never seems to be open. This is an up and back trail with a gate at the main entrance and another about half way up. The top one can be closed based on rain and trail conditions. I did it in my lifted 4Runner in 2wd about 90% of the time. Threw it into 4wd only on a few sections for more of a safety reason than slippage. Stock 4Runner who joined me had some difficulty in areas but never so much that I had to assist or recover. Many narrow spots for pull outs to let folks pass so just be careful and use hand signals. I had to yield for downhill traffic a few times as I was nearest a spot where we could pass. It's all good if you're cool on the trail. Please pack out what you pack in. Lots of trash and even some used tp at the summit. Not cool.
Suggest this more as a off road drive than a hike. Hikers need to be baller to treck this thing from the base road to the summit.

Any 4wd can go here!

Friday, August 04, 2017

Didn't have time to go past first look out/turn around opportunity but really liked it.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Really fun and chill trail did it all in 2wd

Monday, July 10, 2017

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Fun trail that isn't too far away. The views from the top are outstanding. If you don't want to go all the way up, there's a little outlook about half the way up. Little bumpy, but I didn't 4WD by any means. The very top is small. We went early and only had another truck up there to share with.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Kind of bumpy on the way up, but otherwise a very easy ride. It's important that you have some clearance, but otherwise 2 wd will do. The top has great views, but not a lot of space, so it's easy for this place to get packed with just a few cars. For some reason, people feel that they can leave trash up there. Please don't litter, and if you see trash, pick it up. Trash encourages more trash.

Monday, June 19, 2017

First trail in my new (used) jeep. This is a good starter trail with great views, and moderate obstacles (washes potholes etc.) So long as you aren't looking for trouble there aren't any opportunities to get into trouble (i.e. high centered or stuck) if you have reasonable clearance and 4x4.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Jan 2, 2017. Hard uphill. Fun downhill.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I was there on 9/26/2016 driving my Canyon. it was fun not to bad more like a easy trail good for me , as a beginner. good to know ur aproach angles and departure and height of ur vehicle. definitely going back to do more adventurous riding