Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

This is a lovely trail, mid week close to sunset in January there were very few people. This trail offers a beautiful view of Morro Bay and actually is quite easy.

Pleasant afternoon hike. Lots of other people on the trail. I might have liked this more if I went earlier in the morning with less people. If you just want the view, go to the upper parking lot and walk the last 25 yards of the trail.

Good hike. We started down near marina and took exercise trail until it met up with main trail. Starts going up a lot, but not awful. Great views!

Awesome views of Morro Bay.

Beautiful hike- starts in the sand and you climb to a rocky summit. Very shaded the second half of the hike when you are climbing the most, which is nice. It gets pretty steep right past the eucalyptus. Gorgeous 360 views at the top. It’s November and we put on big spray but we didn’t have any issues with bugs. I’m guessing because the nights have been cooler lately. It was a fun hike!

Great hike to get the blood pumping quickly. Enjoyed the hike in the morning and the view was amazing from up top. Kid friendly. Will be back for sure.

really awesome night hike the view is amazing can see milky way galaxy on a clear night

great little hike with a few options for loops. I live in the neighborhood below and it makes for a good spot to walk the dog. Not a ton of shade.

Beautiful views if you’re tired of the bluff trails. It’s a 360 degree view. Mosquitoes were not a problem. A few yes but no repellent here. It was fine. Trail is dry. Take water. Super easy if you drive to the closest parking. Otherwise one can start from many parking pullouts along the roads. It’s a maze of trails but intuition should get you to the top.

Name should be changed to Mosquito Hill. We end up doing trail running to ran away from mosquitos

recorded Black Hill Trail

Heavy mosquito activity. Bring repellant.

The views are amazing, but there are mosquitos everywhere. I had my 5 yr. old with me, so we turned around after I found multiple mosquitoes clinging to her pants and shirt. Plan ahead and hike on a cold day.

Very well maintained. Trailhead starts as the exercise trail. Climb to the top will get your heart going but pretty easy. Views are amazing! We took a side trail on the way down to add a bit more milage.

This was a fun challenging climb for my 7 year old to do with me.

if mosquitos love you, take bug spray!

Parking is just a dirt turnoff on the side of the road and the trail is marked the “exercise trail” with some ancient stops that give you small workouts. The trail is somewhat steep on the way up so easily moderate is pretty accurate- lots of sandy clay on the way up for the first mile or so and then fine rock that is a little loose heading back down. The mosquitos were out in force and ate me alive near the bottom as well as some deer flies and I was pulling live multiple ticks off my white dog the last half mile as well as finding a few on myself. Beware of that- she and I were on leash and on trail the entire time.

Nice, easy trail for the entire family.

Fun trail with lots of good spots for pictures. Morning walks when it’s clear are the best for lighting. It is steep throughout.

Did this trail with my GSD 2 years ago in Oct, but we had to turn around due to a mountain lion sighting. Two other hikers saw the lion, and they were leaving the trail, so we did also.

All trails does give you correct directions. The directions are to the parking at the bottom of the trail, state park road turns into Main Street there is a dirt shoulder right before an employee/maintenance only road. There is also parking near the top of the trail, Black Mountain road turns into upper state park road; Trailhead coordinates: 35.35806, -120.83338. It is easy to miss black mountain road as it goes through the golf course and the road looks like it is for golf carts :) Great views!!!

I looked for this trail for 30 minutes and then gave up. The directions provided by the AllTrails app are incorrect :(

From the very bottom, this trail was about 3 miles and took us 1.5hrs. The trail is well maintained. Some steep areas make this a moderate level hike. There also was some areas of poison oak to keep an eye out for and I got eaten by mosquitos closer to the bottom. Views are incredible.

This is a good trail for families. It will provide a good workout for the young'uns to help 'em sleep real well that night. It definitely has some areas of steeper terrain, but nothing that's dangerous or risky. Another reviewer commented on the large amounts of mosquitoes. True that. They're everywhere. But the views at the top are worth it.

Family Hike with cousins Bodie and Ellery during our annual Easter Camping trip. Carlie walked the entire trail and I’m super proud of her. Up to the top of Black Hill, snacks with a view of Morro Rock and back to camp! This is a must when we are up here

Fun trail for my husband and I with our dog. It was super buggy today...mosquitos! Takes us just over an hour. Great exercise hike.

Reasonably well maintained trail and good 360 degree views up top but there is a climb to get there if you start at the bottom. If you have less time, park halfway up at the parking lot and climb the last half mile or so for the views. We did the hike about 8am on a Sunday and ran into a handful of people, not too crowded and

This trail is right by my home and I love it. For anyone with knee problems though I would mark it as moderate not easy.

done this twice from the 2nd road entrance. it is nice and somewhat mellow. probably a bit much for smaller children. Great views of los osos and the sand spit.