EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

Great until there was a mountain lion/cub sighting. Trail was pretty steep in areas; wish i wore hiking shoes to decrease sliding.

Great views and lots of trials to wander on

quick, easy and the views are so amazing!! I strongly recommend this trail. you won't regret it.

This trail is infested with mosquitos due to its proximity to standing water - takes all the fun out of it.

This short trail offers a panoramic view of morro bay and state park. The kids,7 5 & 2, and I spotted quail, snakes, lizards, hawks, butterfly and other insects on the hike up. We went out early and were all alone up top. Though in the clouds to start the marine layer burned off revealing the bay and rolling hills.

Although it was very foggy the day I went, the hike is one of my favorites! The trail is easy enough to take your kids and dogs on (I brought my tiny 9 year old pup), but it also tests your stamina with a few steep inclines.
Even though the trail is well maintained, I suggest to bring some bug spray and watch out for any poison oak.
You start on the exercise trail and you can either get on the black hills trail directly or follow the exercise trail until you reach the black hills trail sign. We definitely enjoyed going through the exercise trail!
It is very easy to get off trail, so try to stay on the route.
We were laughing and smiling the whole way despite our mass amounts of bug bites!

Nicely kept trail that heads up from the state campground vicinity to the top of Black Hill. Very sandy in the beginning. I passed some exercise stations. With elevation gain I was set upon by swarms of mosquitoes. I had not used repellent and about 80% of the way up I decided to turn back as I was getting bitten again and again. Without that issue it would have been ideal. I think casual hikers would not classify this trail as easy because of the steep climb in the second half.