EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

This is a good trail for families. It will provide a good workout for the young'uns to help 'em sleep real well that night. It definitely has some areas of steeper terrain, but nothing that's dangerous or risky. Another reviewer commented on the large amounts of mosquitoes. True that. They're everywhere. But the views at the top are worth it.

Family Hike with cousins Bodie and Ellery during our annual Easter Camping trip. Carlie walked the entire trail and I’m super proud of her. Up to the top of Black Hill, snacks with a view of Morro Rock and back to camp! This is a must when we are up here

Fun trail for my husband and I with our dog. It was super buggy today...mosquitos! Takes us just over an hour. Great exercise hike.

Reasonably well maintained trail and good 360 degree views up top but there is a climb to get there if you start at the bottom. If you have less time, park halfway up at the parking lot and climb the last half mile or so for the views. We did the hike about 8am on a Sunday and ran into a handful of people, not too crowded and

This trail is right by my home and I love it. For anyone with knee problems though I would mark it as moderate not easy.

done this twice from the 2nd road entrance. it is nice and somewhat mellow. probably a bit much for smaller children. Great views of los osos and the sand spit.

Great trail, but I would agree some others who said it should be marked rated as a moderate trail. There were some rather long a steady inclines that left me out of breath, but I'm a out of shape too. However the views at the top were magnificent, especially on a clear day like it was for us.

A nice trail with great payback at the top. Not well marked. Look for the small parking lot just below campground marked as Exercise Trail.

Good views, steady climb I would rate it moderate Even after rain trail was not muddy

Good 3 mile hike. Great view from the top.

This is labeled as easy but I would categorize as moderate. A good steady climb and somewhat steep at a few spots. I take my elderly parents on easy trails and I would definately not bring them on this one! Good trail through trees, good views! crosses one road with cars going pretty fast around a curve, beware! Happy hiking!

Go on a clear day. Literally a 360 view.

Park in small lot adjacent to trailhead. This is an easy to moderate hike depending on trails you follow. You can make as difficult as you want by going uphill faster or slower, a lot of it is through sand trail. I started at 4 and it was warm but there was a breeze which kept it cool. Bugs can be a problem, suggest repellent. Virtual Treadmill video of this hike can be seen on my YouTube Channel, copy and paste link below to watch it. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO02nxPdM4-CabegFIPlow?view_as=subscriber

I drove to to top past the golf coarse and the hiked the rest. it goes up in the clouds abd is much better on a clear day.

Started from the small parking lot at the trail marked “exercise trail” it was fun but not marked well. The view from the top is amazing!

Great, peaceful walk that can be shortened by driving to close to top. Great for showing family and friends views of Morro Bay.

Would have been nice if we didn’t get attacked and consumed by mosquitos. Tried to enjoy an early morning hike, but there was no visibility of the bay due to fog. Could have been nice, but I wouldn’t know.

This hike is logged as 2.3 miles if you take it from the campground entrance. There is another parking lot towards the top of the trail and that is why some may say it’s a quick trail. Trail is not marked very well and a bit confusing. Going up the trail, there were other unmarked trails which we later learned were Grove Trail and Pipeline Trail. When we were going down, we ended up in the middle of the golf course because we did not go far enough. We ended up walking along the street near the Inn at Morro Bay to get back to the parking lot just outside the entrance of the campground. View at the top is amazing with a nice view of The Rock.

Short hike from the parking lot but we started from the Inn at Mooro Bay to make it a little longer. Nice payoff to be able to get above the fog!

It is gorgeous from the summit but hardwork if you start from the bottom and not the parking lot that is practically at the top.

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Nice little, short trail that gave a great view of the bay. We were camping down at the campground and we decided to explore. There is some incline but not bad at all. Definitely enjoyed it!

Monday, March 26, 2018

Beautiful. Windy and cold .

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Wonderful hike. Incredible weather. A beautiful walk through the trees to get up on top of the hill. It is ALL uphill but not so exhausting that you don't enjoy the journey. I certainly enjoyed it and will be back for sure

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Short and sweet hike! Parked at the bottom right before where it tells you to go on Apple maps. There’s a small trail off of it, one little sign! Fun and easy

Friday, February 16, 2018

Very short hike. Easy. Great ocean and bay views.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Absolutely beautiful view

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

This hike was amazing. It stared with a sandy terrain and takes you to the top of a hill that overlooks the water around Morro Rock. A few areas are steep but overall easy. My 6-year-old niece and mother-in-law walked the whole way up. You can also park your car farther up closer to the end of the hike if you just want to see the top. The hike is based close to a golf course.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Beautiful view at the top!

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Great trail-wildlife, views, and exercise! Our dogs loved it, too. Apparently their noses were working overtime!!!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Outstanding 360 degree views! Short but Sweet...bring a picnic.