Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

It is gorgeous from the summit but hardwork if you start from the bottom and not the parking lot that is practically at the top.

Nice little, short trail that gave a great view of the bay. We were camping down at the campground and we decided to explore. There is some incline but not bad at all. Definitely enjoyed it!

Beautiful. Windy and cold .

Wonderful hike. Incredible weather. A beautiful walk through the trees to get up on top of the hill. It is ALL uphill but not so exhausting that you don't enjoy the journey. I certainly enjoyed it and will be back for sure

Short and sweet hike! Parked at the bottom right before where it tells you to go on Apple maps. There’s a small trail off of it, one little sign! Fun and easy

Very short hike. Easy. Great ocean and bay views.

Absolutely beautiful view

This hike was amazing. It stared with a sandy terrain and takes you to the top of a hill that overlooks the water around Morro Rock. A few areas are steep but overall easy. My 6-year-old niece and mother-in-law walked the whole way up. You can also park your car farther up closer to the end of the hike if you just want to see the top. The hike is based close to a golf course.

Beautiful view at the top!

Great trail-wildlife, views, and exercise! Our dogs loved it, too. Apparently their noses were working overtime!!!

Outstanding 360 degree views! Short but Sweet...bring a picnic.

Great until there was a mountain lion/cub sighting. Trail was pretty steep in areas; wish i wore hiking shoes to decrease sliding.

Great views and lots of trials to wander on

quick, easy and the views are so amazing!! I strongly recommend this trail. you won't regret it.

This trail is infested with mosquitos due to its proximity to standing water - takes all the fun out of it.

This short trail offers a panoramic view of morro bay and state park. The kids,7 5 & 2, and I spotted quail, snakes, lizards, hawks, butterfly and other insects on the hike up. We went out early and were all alone up top. Though in the clouds to start the marine layer burned off revealing the bay and rolling hills.

Although it was very foggy the day I went, the hike is one of my favorites! The trail is easy enough to take your kids and dogs on (I brought my tiny 9 year old pup), but it also tests your stamina with a few steep inclines.
Even though the trail is well maintained, I suggest to bring some bug spray and watch out for any poison oak.
You start on the exercise trail and you can either get on the black hills trail directly or follow the exercise trail until you reach the black hills trail sign. We definitely enjoyed going through the exercise trail!
It is very easy to get off trail, so try to stay on the route.
We were laughing and smiling the whole way despite our mass amounts of bug bites!

Nicely kept trail that heads up from the state campground vicinity to the top of Black Hill. Very sandy in the beginning. I passed some exercise stations. With elevation gain I was set upon by swarms of mosquitoes. I had not used repellent and about 80% of the way up I decided to turn back as I was getting bitten again and again. Without that issue it would have been ideal. I think casual hikers would not classify this trail as easy because of the steep climb in the second half.

great hike great view I love this hike

Sunday, June 18, 2017

The views on this trail is spectacular just took my breath away!!!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Drive up the hill past the golf course and do the last little bit of the trail at dusk and sunset. Amazing views of the bay and sunset.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great views, well maintained trail. Good for a quick and mellow hike, takes about an hour and half starting from the exercise trail.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Nice hike with some absolutely stunning views of Morro Bay at the top

Monday, April 10, 2017

Really nice hike with a few steep areas. Beautiful view from the top of the hill. I recommend repellent or covering up because there were definitely areas where mosquitoes were trying to make me their meal. Oh & be careful with the poison oak that grows along the trail.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Nice easy little hike. Exercise stations on the first part. Good views of the estuary and the sand spit. My 7 ½ year old daughter loved it. It's easy to get mixed up at the trail junctions on the way back. Looks and feels much different. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Had a great hike! The weather was great and the scenery was breathtaking!

Thursday, February 16, 2017

My favorite trail so far!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

This is a wonderful walk with a breathtaking 360 degree view....I NEVER tire of the whole process!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Easy hike and awesome views!!!

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Our first time at Morro Bay. Living in the flatlands of Oklahoma this was a great short hike. Love the eucalyptus and scenery. There were very few people on the trail. It would be nice for dog owners to pick up after their dogs however.