Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

Nice hike but beware of ticks! Found five on my dog afterwards and one on myself. Great 360 degree views from the top though!

Glad to check this 1 of the “9 sisters” off the list. Definitely the shortest & easiest we have done of the “sisters” in SLO county. We decided to start w/the “pipeline trail” super sandy w/ lots of poison oak .. so stay in the trail. Trail goes up & down quit a bit until you merge to the right with the Grove/Black Hill trails. We heard there is a fun rope swing w/a skate board attached at the bottom on the pipeline trail ... but couldn’t find it. Heard it before you merge with the Grove/Black Hill trail to the top. Nothing is labeled except at the top near the water tower. Views are beautiful at the top. On the way down we went a different way, towards the parking lot and golf course - were we found a different swing - so my son liked that! So many different off shoots & trails w/0 markers - so this app was very helpful! There are mosquitos - you bug spray or long sleeves etc are a must.

If you're looking for an even shorter hike with a fantastic payoff, drive to the closest spot by the top of the golf course. It's a quick and easy walk to the summit from there, affording great views! Free, easy, well maintained. Follow my instagram for more adventures @julie_journeys

easy! sometimes hard to stay on trail, but easy to correct. beautiful view at the top.

Nice dog friendly trail, except for those who leave poop bags along trail for someone else like us to pick up and carry out for them. Steep in places. Beautiful views.

Nice trail with great views throughout. Starts pretty sandy and gets more packed as you go up. Not many bugs or animals. Mostly shaded

This is a lovely hike with a nice steady incline but nothing too crazy. Beautiful view at the top. Trail is well maintained and parking is free. Sunday morning in February and I only saw a half dozen people!

This is a lovely trail, mid week close to sunset in January there were very few people. This trail offers a beautiful view of Morro Bay and actually is quite easy.

Pleasant afternoon hike. Lots of other people on the trail. I might have liked this more if I went earlier in the morning with less people. If you just want the view, go to the upper parking lot and walk the last 25 yards of the trail.

Good hike. We started down near marina and took exercise trail until it met up with main trail. Starts going up a lot, but not awful. Great views!

Awesome views of Morro Bay.

Beautiful hike- starts in the sand and you climb to a rocky summit. Very shaded the second half of the hike when you are climbing the most, which is nice. It gets pretty steep right past the eucalyptus. Gorgeous 360 views at the top. It’s November and we put on big spray but we didn’t have any issues with bugs. I’m guessing because the nights have been cooler lately. It was a fun hike!

Great hike to get the blood pumping quickly. Enjoyed the hike in the morning and the view was amazing from up top. Kid friendly. Will be back for sure.

really awesome night hike the view is amazing can see milky way galaxy on a clear night

great little hike with a few options for loops. I live in the neighborhood below and it makes for a good spot to walk the dog. Not a ton of shade.

recorded Black Hill Trail

Beautiful views if you’re tired of the bluff trails. It’s a 360 degree view. Mosquitoes were not a problem. A few yes but no repellent here. It was fine. Trail is dry. Take water. Super easy if you drive to the closest parking. Otherwise one can start from many parking pullouts along the roads. It’s a maze of trails but intuition should get you to the top.

Name should be changed to Mosquito Hill. We end up doing trail running to ran away from mosquitos

recorded Black Hill Trail

Heavy mosquito activity. Bring repellant.

The views are amazing, but there are mosquitos everywhere. I had my 5 yr. old with me, so we turned around after I found multiple mosquitoes clinging to her pants and shirt. Plan ahead and hike on a cold day.

Very well maintained. Trailhead starts as the exercise trail. Climb to the top will get your heart going but pretty easy. Views are amazing! We took a side trail on the way down to add a bit more milage.

This was a fun challenging climb for my 7 year old to do with me.

if mosquitos love you, take bug spray!

Parking is just a dirt turnoff on the side of the road and the trail is marked the “exercise trail” with some ancient stops that give you small workouts. The trail is somewhat steep on the way up so easily moderate is pretty accurate- lots of sandy clay on the way up for the first mile or so and then fine rock that is a little loose heading back down. The mosquitos were out in force and ate me alive near the bottom as well as some deer flies and I was pulling live multiple ticks off my white dog the last half mile as well as finding a few on myself. Beware of that- she and I were on leash and on trail the entire time.

Nice, easy trail for the entire family.

Fun trail with lots of good spots for pictures. Morning walks when it’s clear are the best for lighting. It is steep throughout.

Did this trail with my GSD 2 years ago in Oct, but we had to turn around due to a mountain lion sighting. Two other hikers saw the lion, and they were leaving the trail, so we did also.

All trails does give you correct directions. The directions are to the parking at the bottom of the trail, state park road turns into Main Street there is a dirt shoulder right before an employee/maintenance only road. There is also parking near the top of the trail, Black Mountain road turns into upper state park road; Trailhead coordinates: 35.35806, -120.83338. It is easy to miss black mountain road as it goes through the golf course and the road looks like it is for golf carts :) Great views!!!