Black Hill Trail

Black Hill Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Climb up to Black Hill with great views from the summit. Black Hill is the second to last of nine volcanic plugs that lie between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (the last being Morro Rock itself). The hike to the top travels through Fleming's Forest--a hillside of Monterey Pine trees that were planted by John Fleming (a former park superintendent). It is rumored that Black Hill received its name due to the tar seep on the north side of the hill. This scenic and enjoyable hike is relatively easy and can be done in just a couple of hours.

My favorite trail so far!

This is a wonderful walk with a breathtaking 360 degree view....I NEVER tire of the whole process!

Easy hike and awesome views!!!

Our first time at Morro Bay. Living in the flatlands of Oklahoma this was a great short hike. Love the eucalyptus and scenery. There were very few people on the trail. It would be nice for dog owners to pick up after their dogs however.

It's easy, and great for hiking with dogs (small ones in my case). I usually park all the way up past the golf course. I've been here many times and have never seen (or felt) any mosquito. Not sure if the person below was closer to the golf course, where there may be water spots because of the extensive watering, promoting mosquito reproduction.

This was our first hike and was the perfect start to what we hope to be a lifelong love. The hike was beautiful and was appropriately labeled as easy. Some parts were very steep, but overall it was not too difficult. Bring in a shady, humid area, it did have quite a few mosquitos so bring your repels t.

SWARMED BY MOSQUITOES!!! We hiked from the upper trailhead, so we were only on the trail for about 20 minutes, and I got at least a dozen bites. My friend was wearing DEET bug spray and she still got bit. The view at the top of the hill was spectacular, but we didn't linger, we rushed back down the hill and drove to a drug store to buy anti-itch cream. I would recommend this hike because the view of Morro Rock, the bay, and the estuary are amazing, but don't go mid-afternoon in August unless you love mosquitoes.

Great day hike, awesome views

This was an awesome trail. I took my three girls with me 5,3,and almost 2. They did great for their ages... There are some pretty steep parts that were a little interesting getting them up and down but we had a great time, took us about 2.5 hours round trip. I'm sure if you do this with older kids or just adults it would probably cut that time significantly. We had a great time :)

Really nice. Pretty. Only a couple steep spots but nothing my grandmother couldn't do. Make it to the top it's worth it