Black Diamond Mines Loop Trail

Black Diamond Mines Loop Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Antioch, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The hills of Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve east of Concord, California, have been returned to their natural state, making them ideal for hiking, birdwatching and other outdoor adventures. It wasn't always like this: In the 1800s, a coal economy ruled the region. When the coal ran out, the miners moved on, leaving tombstones where towns once stood. Mining resumed years later: this time they dug sand for a local glassmaker. Tours of the old silica sand mines are a popular fixture of Black Diamond Mines. This route starts out in the parking lot on the old Somersville town site, passing the Rose Hill Cemetery and moving on to Nortonville, another town site lost to time.

Great views!

Great views!

Some steep parts but nothing to bad. Good trail for the pups and the cemetery is neat!

Enjoyed this hike! Definitely has a few areas where you can go where it can be more challenging or easier depending on what you are looking for. Awesome place for pups! Only negatory would be the very few shade spots.

overall good but long day if you bring the kiddos. our little one, 8yrs had a couple break downs due to the heat but we ended up back at the car finishing 6.75 miles. Got a tad lost in the beginning, the trail wasn't clearly marked at the start. Nice views, would do again.

this was an ok scenery until you get to the other side of the mountain. over all good.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

beautiful views, and decent trails to walk on. one of my favorite spots in the area!

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

amazing place with spectacular views.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Good trail, did it with 10lb packs to give a couple people a "backpacking simulation". Good day!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The trail goes through 3 different old mining sites and the Rose Hill Cemetery. It as some pretty good hills and is on the upper side of moderate. I did it in late march so there were some wildflowers starting to bloom. Very good winter and spring hike and probably a 3 1/2 stars for me.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Beautiful golden grassy area, loves the scenery. Far away from everything!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Good trail that isn't that steep but hot. Best done any time but in the summer heat.

Friday, September 09, 2016

I started at the Nortonville Trail, continued onto the Black Diamond Trail, I followed the Black Diamond Trail and completed the loop. Total distance was 5.4 miles, 1,227 feet elevation. Most trails were wide and easy graded except the last couple miles were single track. I enjoyed reading all of signs that showing the historical local coal mining. I also enjoyed views of the surrounding area.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great hike.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Loved the history of the mines, their cool temperature was a welcome relief from hot weather. Walking on sand trails was unique for a non-beach setting. Needed more trail markers and remember to have cash for parking.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Nice hike with beautiful views once you reach the top. The first half of the hike, to about the 2.5 mile mark, is steep but once halfway it's mostly downhill from there. Go early in the morning, especially in the summer months, to avoid the heat and bring plenty of water.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Not much shade in some spots. There are some really tough increments to start and finish.

Overall... Fantastic views. Clean. Clear. Can't wait to go again.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

i loved this trail, quite steep for a bit but worth it for the views.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Beautiful area

Friday, April 22, 2016

It is a very well kept and has vast open space. It ranges from easy to moderate but has great views no matter which direction you are traveling. We spotted some wild turkeys and near the beginning of the loop there are cows grazing. It's great place to get out doors and get some exercise and bring the family too! As well bring a picnic if you prefer, they have a picnic area too!

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Excellent, for an early morning hike. Lots for nice vistas and open space.

Friday, April 01, 2016

Nice day and beautiful place.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Great place to go for a hike with many options for length of trails. Dog friendly! Which is a huge plus for me. I took my kids and dogs on a 6 mile hike. It was beautiful!

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Beautiful views of the rolling hills and valleys.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I grew up in Antioch, and have rode and hiked Black Diamond many, many times. Springtime is best, with all of the wildflowers in bloom. The scenery coupled with all of the history is absolutely fantastic.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Great views and very well maintained facilities. Dogs are allowed off leash 200 ft past trailheads and my 3 had an absolute blast. The trails are easy to follow and maps were abundant. Be prepared to walk up hill a lot, the trails go up and down the ridges.

Monday, April 08, 2013

A nice spot to hike nestled beside the town of Clayton. Trails were in good condition. At the time, in early spring when we hoofted it, the crowds were at a minimum. Decent views of the east bay, as well as interesting points to explore offered by the mines.

Good variety of trails and great for all ages.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

This park is amazingly beautiful and has some interesting areas to see along the way with the caves and historic sites. I say beautiful if you go in the winter or spring. Probably pretty hot and dead in the summer. One of my favorite parks in the area.

Monday, June 04, 2012

My girlfriend and I arrived at Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve around 5:00pm (the park closed at 8:00pm). We were pleased that there was a cool breeze welcoming us to the park that accompanied us throughout our stay. Because we were slightly pressed for time we got right to business and headed to Nortonville Trail (this is the trail where you can view the Rose Hill Cemetery if you are interested). This is the loop we did during our short stay: Nortonville Trail - Coal Canyon Trail - Black Diamond Way - Black Diamond Trail - Manhattan Canyon Trail - Chaparral Loop Trail. The canyon trails were my favorite. They were wonderfully creepy with tree coverage and playful shadows. Within this loop you get to walk right pass "Jim's Place", the dwelling will be on your left hand side right before you start walking on Black Diamond Way. Oh! the views on Black Diamond Trail were really spectacular. The track took us about 1 hour and 50 minutes and was about 5.5 miles.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

There are so many trails in this park, we only did 20-25% of them in a four hour time frame. The canyon trails were my favorite. They were probably the more moderate of trails. I would classify them as easy, but we had a member in our group which was bitching about the "cliffs" and saying it was too difficult. Anyway, cool history in the place. We checked out the cemetary, nortonville site, Jim's Place and the air shaft. Lots of signs and markers throughout. Fun time.