Black Butte

Black Butte is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Shasta, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike with even better views.

July 11 2017
Don't follow the AllTrails directions, as it leads you to a dead end on the wrong side of the mountain. Go to the ranger station on Alma St in Mt. Shasta and they will give you a paper with directions to the trailhead. My Hyundai Elantra made it pretty far on the 20 min dirt road but I had to stop a bit early from the parking lot due to the steep drop. I recommend something a bit further off the ground. Watch the bushes on the sides because they can scratch your car. The view from the top and during is amazing, you can't get a better view of Shasta. Steep drop offs on the Trail and it's very narrow especially at the top. I wouldn't recommend bringing children. Most of the trail is made up of large rocks. Hard to run it. Hiking boots were great. Be prepared for almost full exposure, bring a lot of water. Great hike, rocks make it interesting and fun and amazing views!

grew up here. beautiful places to see.

5/27 We ran the 3 miles of road trail leading up to the trail head because it didn't look Prius friendly. Upon arriving at the trail head we found a variety of sedans with low clearance parked at the trail head. I'd say its doable in a typical car but there is at least one spot I saw a car scrape its bottom but it looked possible to avoid. The trail is everything you would want in a 2.5 mile hike to the top. Only down side is lots of rocks, 98% are stable rocks occasionally one will move but there is at least a mile of hiking on rocks. Views almost the entire way, would recommend as a destination hike.

Giving 1 star less due to the gravel road from A10 to the trailhead. I took a sedan with very low ground clearance and had to juggle the steering wheel between edges.
But the hike offers spectacular view of Mt. Shasta. The rocky patch and wind make the hike interesting in a sense you have to watch your each step. Would surely recommend to anyone wanting a good look of Mt. Shasta.

Get directions from the Ranger Station in Shasta - it's a 20 minute drive from there. Beware of rattlesnakes on the trail

Beautiful views of Shasta! Tough and rocky hike, but well worth it. Full exposure, so be prepared for sun and wind.

I know this trail would have been worthwhile, so I'm giving it 4 stars. we tried to hike 5 days ago and it was ice covered in parts, which wasn't a big deal for me until we got to a steep and icy part. I was not equipped with the proper footwear to make it safely across the ice so we stopped and turned back.

Great trail but gets hot in summer.. bring a lot of water

Amazing 360 views!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

GO TO SHASTA CITY - trailhead is hard to find otherwise. You can follow GPS directions from there -- otherwise, you will find dead ends from exits more north.

Thursday, July 21, 2016